NJ Transit SW1500 locomotives 500-503

Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

I was up in Hoboken a few weeks ago and was able to FINALLY photograph NJ Transit SW1500 502 outside the terminal. I hear that 502 is unfortinately dying due to its age. Does anyone have any thoughts you would like to share about 502 and the other SW1500's NJ Transit has owned? Also does anyone think that 502 will be retired soon?

Any thoughts?

Eric

NJ Transit SW1500 500 was retired because it had a main generator failure and NJT didn't want to deal with it. I don't know why 501 was retired. 503 was retired because it had gotten sideswiped by another locomotive at the Medowlands Maitenance Complex shops and once again NJT didn't want to bother with repairing it so that was sold to Helm Financial AKA HLCX.

Personally I would expect that at this point 502 would be retired by the end of the year but I of course am only a railfan so I don't really know what NJ Transit will do with the locomotive.

Eric

I know 500 and 501 sit somewhere on some tracks in the middle of all the NJT property in PATH. If you ride HBLR, look towards NJT maintance facility and you'll see 500 and 501.

As far as seeing 502, I took a photo of it a few weeks ago when it sat on track 18 at Hoboken Terminal (thats going towards the HBLR station thats not part of Hoboken which brongs reason why its so far out....)

I know 500 and 501 sit somewhere on some tracks in the middle of all the NJT property in PATH. If you ride HBLR, look towards NJT maintance facility and you'll see 500 and 501.

As far as seeing 502, I took a photo of it a few weeks ago when it sat on track 18 at Hoboken Terminal (thats going towards the HBLR station thats not part of Hoboken which brongs reason why its so far out....)

I was able to photograph 500 in the deadline from inside the train I was on. Like I said I have photos of 502 from when it was sitting on track 18 outside the terminal.

Eric

Ok i have seen them all before but lost all of my pictures. just out of curiosity what were they used for? Since NJT uses the push pull why would they need switchers? (thanks to NewJerseyT for that question lol)

The SW1500 locomotives were mostly used for yard switching. Putting trains together, towing dead locomotives, etc. They were used occasionally for MOW (Maitence Of Way) work but were mostly confined to the yards for the reasons I mentioned above.

Eric

I've seen them before. So 502 is the last of them. Hopefully she'll last for at least another year.

Yep 502 is the last of them unfortinately. From what I know the last time I was in Hoboken when I photographed 502, 500 and 501 were still in the deadline outside the Hoboken Terminal.

Eric

• 1 month later...
Any word on what they will do with them? Stripped them down and sell it off?

I haven't heard about what exactly they will do with them but I think they can only do 2 things.

1. The electric company will rebuild the locomotives to be able to use them.

2. They bought them for the scrap metal.

Eric

I haven't heard about what exactly they will do with them but I think they can only do 2 things.

1. The electric company will rebuild the locomotives to be able to use them.

2. They bought them for the scrap metal.

Eric

I'll go with choice #2. There's probably a whole lot of scrap in them two babies.

Archived