Is this fare evasion?

dmouse

So this genius I know decided to use the Subway yesterday, but swiped with the wrong Metrocard.

He was somewhere in Far Rock he said when he was in the train station but anyway, He claims he was in a rush and was looking at his phone. He whipped out his wallet and pulled out his student card "by mistake" he claims and swiped it and got in the subway. BUT , this cop came out of nowhere and pulled him over and asked for ID. He then took him out through the turnstile again and questioned him.

to make a long story short for using his Student Metrocard on Columbus day he was given a $100 summons (hes 16) and he wants to fight it.....

Really? I never knew they fined you for misuse of your studentcard.

Thoughts opinions?

So this genius I know decided to use the Subway yesterday, but swiped with the wrong Metrocard.

He was somewhere in Far Rock he said when he was in the train station but anyway, He claims he was in a rush and was looking at his phone. He whipped out his wallet and pulled out his student card "by mistake" he claims and swiped it and got in the subway. BUT , this cop came out of nowhere and pulled him over and asked for ID. He then took him out through the turnstile again and questioned him.

to make a long story short for using his Student Metrocard on Columbus day he was given a $100 summons (hes 16) and he wants to fight it.....

Thoughts opinions?

Technically, student metrocards are illegal to use on days when there is no school. So technically, the officer was correct in fining him.

Realistically though, a $100 fine is harsh. I don't think it's warranted.

Actually, if you are on a team of some sort, you would normally be given a special student metro-card that can be used on non-school days and weekends legally. Just if you happen to be stopped you should present them with proof of why you'd use it. Ex-girlfriend of mine was on the track team and they were given these metro-cards one Saturday of every season's month.

Thoughts opinions?

It's a summons, you're going to court either way. If your friend doesn't look suspect and looks like a good kid, the judge would probably dismiss it and you won't have to pay the fine. Most of the time they'd just give you a warning of some sort.

I've received a summons once for walking through a park at 9PM, when there were younger kids in the park with their parents. It was for trespassing and crap, went to the court date and once my name was called, they told me it was dismissed and I left.

Same for any driving violations, summons and/or tickets. If it's a minor offense or petty offense they would most likely just dismiss it. Yes fare-evasion is an offense but to the court's views, it would most likely fall for petty.

Technically, student metrocards are illegal to use on days when there is no school. So technically, the officer was correct in fining him.

Realistically though, a $100 fine is harsh. I don't think it's warranted.

Actually, if you are on a team of some sort, you would normally be given a special student metro-card that can be used on non-school days and weekends legally. Just if you happen to be stopped you should present them with proof of why you'd use it. Ex-girlfriend of mine was on the track team and they were given these metro-cards one Saturday of every season's month.

Thoughts opinions?

It's a summons, you're going to court either way. If your friend doesn't look suspect and looks like a good kid, the judge would probably dismiss it and you won't have to pay the fine. Most of the time they'd just give you a warning of some sort.

I've received a summons once for walking through a park at 9PM, when there were younger kids in the park with their parents. It was for trespassing and crap, went to the court date and once my name was called, they told me it was dismissed and I left.

Same for any driving violations, summons and/or tickets. If it's a minor offense or petty offense they would most likely just dismiss it. Yes fare-evasion is an offense but to the court's views, it would most likely fall for petty.

This reminds me when a cop confronted me for using my student MC on Roshhashanna to get home from school. I was about to get fined even though I kept telling him I go to a Catholic School (i was in my uniform) and still gave me a hard time when I showed him my Catholic School photo ID. ;)

This reminds me when a cop confronted me for using my student MC on Roshhashanna to get home from school. I was about to get fined even though I kept telling him I go to a Catholic School (i was in my uniform) and still gave me a hard time when I showed him my Catholic School photo ID. ;)

I got stopped once by an undercover cop at Fordham Road (4) and then he asked for my ID. I had my school ID and he asked for my student metrocard and he saw it had my name on it and he let me go. He did look confused afterwards because I was 17 at the time (senior in high school) and thought I was an older guy using someone else's metrocard.

I got stopped once by an undercover cop at Fordham Road (4) and then he asked for my ID. I had my school ID and he asked for my student metrocard and he saw it had my name on it and he let me go. He did look confused afterwards because I was 17 at the time (senior in high school) and thought I was an older guy using someone else's metrocard.

it seem tricky out there. i think there a pc behind the wall in the station where the schools are. this way if there is no school they can see which metro card are being swipe. it amazing how cop knew which is metro or student metro from distance. i remember while a go a student was off from high school but he had one class to go to in college which is linked to high school and a cop had to questioned etc. this was on the media like 2 or 3 years ago at jay street station.

to me with this situation i think he will be let go because it an accident mix up. but as long he stay on top of his card he won't be pulled or summons. i think the judge should dismiss him if his record are clean.

it seem tricky out there. i think there a pc behind the wall in the station where the schools are. this way if there is no school they can see which metro card are being swipe. it amazing how cop knew which is metro or student metro from distance. i remember while a go a student was off from high school but he had one class to go to in college which is linked to high school and a cop had to questioned etc. this was on the media like 2 or 3 years ago at jay street station.

to me with this situation i think he will be let go because it an accident mix up. but as long he stay on top of his card he won't be pulled or summons. i think the judge should dismiss him if his record are clean.

Actually there is a way fare enforcers or police officers can tell what kind of card you're using, because a certain colored coded bar (three bar window) lights up (red for regular card) (white for student card) on the turnstile (fare control side)

Actually there is a way fare enforcers or police officers can tell what kind of card you're using, because a certain colored coded bar (three bar window) lights up (red for regular card) (white for student card) on the turnstile (fare control side)

Bro:

I actually know how the cops stops people with the metrocards (when illegally used). Based on the turnstile coloring.. (When you swipe, a light turns on for the following)

Green / Blue = Employee / PD / FD

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

How do i know? Ive seen people swipe the cards.

Bro:

I actually know how the cops stops people with the metrocards (when illegally used). Based on the turnstile coloring.. (When you swipe, a light turns on for the following)

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

Bro:

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

Thanks for the Clarification, buddy!

Bro:

White = Student

Red = Senior/Disabled

None = Regular

Thanks for the Clarification, buddy!

I remember one time, when I did not find this site soon because I wasn't computer person at that time.

On New Year's day:

I remember when I used my Student MetroCard on M86, B/O did not say anything or when I used at 81st St-AMNH Station after museum, cops told me I cannot use it and I told him, "I didn"t know."

and B/O again didn't say anything.

I learned my lesson that day.

I remember one time, when I did not find this site soon because I wasn't computer person at that time.

On New Year's day:

I remember when I used my Student MetroCard on M86, B/O did not say anything or when I used at 81st St-AMNH Station after museum, cops told me I cannot use it and I told him, "I didn"t know."

and B/O again didn't say anything.

I learned my lesson that day.

Archived