Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
lawnguysland

Will MTA ever take over Suffolk Transit? How likely is it and if so how long until then?

It makes me feel like a hick not having the MTA service on our buses out here. I don't even live far out on the island...I live around Oakdale/Sayville and the Queens border is only 45 minutes away and the Nassau border is only 25 minutes away, yet we are treated like we aren't in the metro area. The MTA would make service so much better using metrocards, having many more hours of operation, could provide buses into the city directly to take pressure off the LIRR and traffic, etc. Why is this not being done and do you think it will be in the near future if at all?

It makes me feel like a hick not having the MTA service on our buses out here. I don't even live far out on the island...I live around Oakdale/Sayville and the Queens border is only 45 minutes away and the Nassau border is only 25 minutes away, yet we are treated like we aren't in the metro area. The MTA would make service so much better using metrocards, having many more hours of operation, could provide buses into the city directly to take pressure off the LIRR and traffic, etc. Why is this not being done and do you think it will be in the near future if at all?

As much as I'd hate to say this, the MTA already is strapped for cash that they're even dropping Long Island Bus as a branch and letting some private company take them over so Nassau County won't even be supported anymore pretty much.

In other words, we're practically downsizing, with the cuts made two Junes ago and re-routes/consolidations the system's being re-organized. If anything, Suffolk Transit's pretty fine, I do like the double transfer system they have going on. (MTA)'s looking to implement smart cards in the near future as well

As much as I'd hate to say this, the MTA already is strapped for cash that they're even dropping Long Island Bus as a branch and letting some private company take them over so Nassau County won't even be supported anymore pretty much.

In other words, we're practically downsizing, with the cuts made two Junes ago and re-routes/consolidations the system's being re-organized. If anything, Suffolk Transit's pretty fine, I do like the double transfer system they have going on. (MTA)'s looking to implement smart cards in the near future as well

So let's assume they get their stuff in order and they have the money now. Having the money, doesn't it only make sense to have all of Nassau, Western and Central Suffolk under the MTA Bus?

So let's assume they get their stuff in order and they have the money now. Having the money, doesn't it only make sense to have all of Nassau, Western and Central Suffolk under the MTA Bus?

Ehh, I still doubt they'd do it, NYC already took over the private bus lines we had which added extra strain to an already buckling (MTA), it would be waaaaaaay too many bus lines to deal with after all that IMO

Ehh, I still doubt they'd do it, NYC already took over the private bus lines we had which added extra strain to an already buckling (MTA), it would be waaaaaaay too many bus lines to deal with after all that IMO

not really, Suffolk Transit and Bee Line run fine on their own, Nassau somehow got under MTA control but im sure they are going to do fine as well on their own.

That far out in Suffolk is car country, even western Nassau is.

not really, Suffolk Transit and Bee Line run fine on their own, Nassau somehow got under MTA control but im sure they are going to do fine as well on their own.

25 minutes from the Nassau border is "that far out in Suffolk"? If you can still drive over an hour out East from where I live, then it's not out East lol. General rule of thumb for the start of "out East" is Riverhead generally speaking.

25 minutes from the Nassau border is "that far out in Suffolk"? If you can still drive over an hour out East from where I live, then it's not out East lol. General rule of thumb for the start of "out East" is Riverhead generally speaking.

not for Nassau residents ;)

not for Nassau residents ;)

Haha true. My mom grew up in Bethpage and she used to work in the WTC (pre 9/11 thank god) and she tells me how her boss used to call her a country girl being from Bethpage like it was this foreign land even though it's 20-25 minutes from Queens lol. In college I met a lot of kids from Nassau and they would ask what part of LI I was from and when I said in the Ronkonkoma area they thought it was like all farms and cows. It's easy to forget that Central Suffolk is only about 25 minutes from the Nassau border but people seem to think it's so far lol.

Haha true. My mom grew up in Bethpage and she used to work in the WTC (pre 9/11 thank god) and she tells me how her boss used to call her a country girl being from Bethpage like it was this foreign land even though it's 20-25 minutes from Queens lol. In college I met a lot of kids from Nassau and they would ask what part of LI I was from and when I said in the Ronkonkoma area they thought it was like all farms and cows. It's easy to forget that Central Suffolk is only about 25 minutes from the Nassau border but people seem to think it's so far lol.

for me its a schlep to go to Islip airport, takes like 30-40 minutes from where I live.

for me its a schlep to go to Islip airport, takes like 30-40 minutes from where I live.

Well, it doesn't have express buses to Manhattan in Westchester and Nassau (unless you could the BxM4C, which is slowly dying off).

But hopefully, SCT can implement those things by itself. With the right political support, it can get SmartCards, and expand the hours of the system.

Well, it doesn't have express buses to Manhattan in Westchester and Nassau (unless you could the BxM4C, which is slowly dying off).

But hopefully, SCT can implement those things by itself. With the right political support, it can get SmartCards, and expand the hours of the system.

beeline yes suffolk transit HA EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!! THEY RUN HOURLY AT RUSH HR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND ARE STILL CRUSHLOADED. These guys are completely retarted suffolk transit BLOWS HARDCORE. They suck so much a stranger drove me from patchouge all the way to brooklyn!!!!!!!!!!! one block from my house that SAYS ALOT!!!!!!!

beeline yes suffolk transit HA EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!! THEY RUN HOURLY AT RUSH HR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND ARE STILL CRUSHLOADED. These guys are completely retarted suffolk transit BLOWS HARDCORE. They suck so much a stranger drove me from patchouge all the way to brooklyn!!!!!!!!!!! one block from my house that SAYS ALOT!!!!!!!

dude buses to NYC from suffolk ARE NOT NESSESARY!!!!!!!! But hours expansion and intra county lines based on sunrise hwy and motor parkway would be a godsend even allowing CUSA to be open door alone takes care of LIE.

Eventually the 4C will be gone for good just sayin.

If local service to LIRR was decent then express buses to nyc will not be needed.

dude buses to NYC from suffolk ARE NOT NESSESARY!!!!!!!! But hours expansion and intra county lines based on sunrise hwy and motor parkway would be a godsend even allowing CUSA to be open door alone takes care of LIE.

Eventually the 4C will be gone for good just sayin.

If local service to LIRR was decent then express buses to nyc will not be needed.

The MTA would make service so much better using metrocards, having many more hours of operation, could provide buses into the city directly to take pressure off the LIRR and traffic, etc. Why is this not being done and do you think it will be in the near future if at all?

It's not being done because Suffolk County doesn't want it to be done...

- the County seems happy with what it has.

- the County could switch to MetroCards if it wanted to, just as Westchester did.

- the County chooses not to provide or subsidize a direct bus to NYC (either Midtown Manhattan or a subway station), presumably because the LIRR is already there and the LIE is already congested.