Will MTA ever take over Suffolk Transit? How likely is it and if so how long until then?

lawnguysland

It's not being done because Suffolk County doesn't want it to be done...

- the County seems happy with what it has.

- the County could switch to MetroCards if it wanted to, just as Westchester did.

- the County chooses not to provide or subsidize a direct bus to NYC (either Midtown Manhattan or a subway station), presumably because the LIRR is already there and the LIE is already congested.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!! get on SCT buses and you will know how UNSATISFIED ppl are with their service I dare you to try S92,62,66 and the 60!!!!!!!! You will be shocked to see how much the lines really carry I learned the hard way how bad crowding gets!!!!!!!!!!! look at sunrise hwy transit = FAIL. SCT= EPIC FAIL

you know a system blows when even a bus driver says this " SUFFOLK COUNTY DOESN'T GIVE A **** ABOUT IT'S PPL!!!!!!!!" I was literally told that while on S61 SCT I kid you not.

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!! get on SCT buses and you will know how UNSATISFIED ppl are with their service I dare you to try S92,62,66 and the 60!!!!!!!! You will be shocked to see how much the lines really carry I learned the hard way how bad crowding gets!!!!!!!!!!!

I was referring to the County itself (i.e. the government), not the passengers.

The decision-makers have never seen the inside of a bus, and look down on anybody who has, so they are satisfied with the current system and will not agree to fund additional service. They wouldn't even agree to add Sunday service unless the riders paid for it though higher fares on the routes in question.

So let's assume they get their stuff in order and they have the money now. Having the money, doesn't it only make sense to have all of Nassau, Western and Central Suffolk under the MTA Bus?

It was researched at one point in time, but I don't see it happening. If MTA was to ever take over another bus operation, it would be Bed-Line.

I was referring to the County itself (i.e. the government), not the passengers.

The decision-makers have never seen the inside of a bus, and look down on anybody who has, so they are satisfied with the current system and will not agree to fund additional service. They wouldn't even agree to add Sunday service unless the riders paid for it though higher fares on the routes in question.

That's not completely true. Many decision makers have seen the inside of a bus.

Archived