Why are there no direct buses from Suffolk County to NYC? Am I missing something?

lawnguysland

For most parts of Suffolk, Manhattan is only around 50-60 miles away. How is there no bus that goes directly from Suffolk to Manhattan? I've seen some Coach USA buses in parking lots of strip malls by me that I think may go there, but those are expensive and take very long. Why is there no bus that goes there directly on a regular basis?

IT's called LIRR LIRR PPL!!!!!!!!!!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! The coachusa buses go to upstate NY via white plains and rockland county.

The LIRR is the reason why there are no buses from suffolk to NYC west of the hamptons where LIRR service is AWFUL!!!!!!!!! Trust me no one will use buses from suffolk to NYC even if the service was created!!!!!!!!!!! Buses in LI solely exist to revolve around the LIRR and a few busy corridors LONG DISTANCE BUSES WILL NOT WORK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checkmate this poster says he lives in Western or Central Suffolk County.

With that said, other than say Hillside Ave (which is a ways away)I don't think Nassau needs a NYC 'express' bus. If anything something along Route 24 say near Smithtown, Riverhead, etc. could use a peak hour Manhattan bus running at least 1-2 trips a day. There no need for a Western/Central Suffolk-NYC route 7 days a week though.

The last time I checked, Jericho Turnpike runs out to Lake Grove, and then continues on as Middle Country Road to Riverhead, and then goes down to the end of the North Fork, so it would definitely serve Central Suffolk County.

I know it's still pretty far for him, being on the South Shore, but still, it would be an express bus serving western Suffolk, which is what this thread is about.

Checkmate this poster says he lives in Western or Central Suffolk County.

With that said, other than say Hillside Ave (which is a ways away)I don't think Nassau needs a NYC 'express' bus. If anything something along Route 24 say near Smithtown, Riverhead, etc. could use a peak hour Manhattan bus running at least 1-2 trips a day. There no need for a Western/Central Suffolk-NYC route 7 days a week though.

The last time I checked, Jericho Turnpike runs out to Lake Grove, and then continues on as Middle Country Road to Riverhead, and then goes down to the end of the North Fork, so it would definitely serve Central Suffolk County.

I know it's still pretty far for him, being on the South Shore, but still, it would be an express bus serving western Suffolk, which is what this thread is about.

because you can easily hop on an LIRR train.

and theres Hampton Jitney for eastern Suffolk by the way.

AGREED:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup: seriously local buses take you to LIRR.

Hampton Jitneys are out east. I live in central Suffolk. No way I drive 40 minutes out east just to board a Jitney. I could almost be in Queens by then myself.

I can help you better where exactly is your absolute origin???

Nassau County has Long Island Transit NY Express, which operates from Glen Clove/Roslyn to either Midtown or Downtown Manhattan, but expensive.

Do not know how long this service will last???

Welcome aboard lawnsguysland. Seems as though you have alot of views and takes of mass transit in Suffolk, LI and metro NYC.

Other than maybe a couple of peak hour bus service to Manhattan in couple of town, far away from a LIRR station, i.e Smithtown, etc. run by a private company Suffolk County government will never pay for a full time 7-day bus line to/from NYC. That true in especially in Central and Western Suffolk. They will assume that since most Suffolk have cars they will drive to a station and take the train.

So in nutshell, in these tough fiscal times, Suffolk is lucky that *local intra-county* service is still around.

It may not be what you what to hear but glad Lawnsguy you have LIRR service. Folks say living for instance, in Orange County, NY in upstate Hudson Valley, the Poconos and western jersey along Interstates 78 and 80 have *limited Bus service* running at best in some cases 3-4 time a day to/from NYC, that very expensive. Those living in NYC's western and Northern suburus would trade in heartbeat living near a LIRR station which also runs 24/7 service. Just my takes.

Mind you service in the poconos is improving as we speak they added a new line that serves the delaware water gap park directly.

Personally, I think there should be buses in the areas without LIRR service, at least during rush hour. Sure, most people can drive (or maybe even take a local bus) to reach the LIRR, but then they have to deal with parking, whereas for the bus they can sit back and relax the whole way.

I think the Hempstead Turnpike and Jericho Turnpike corridors could support service at least during rush hour, especially if it went directly to Lower Manhattan.

This way, you can just sit back and relax. With the LIRR, you have to:

* Drive to the LIRR station

* Change at Jamaica (I think this applies for most Main Line trains, which is where much of the ridership would divert from)

* Take the subway

Either that, or you could take the (E)/(J)/(Z), but then you're dealing with the slow speed and crowding on those lines.

I mean, if a Zone 10 pass costs $299, you could charge say, $320 and people would still use it. HA HA HA HA SPEAK FOR URSELF TRY SELLING THAT TO LI folk please they would laugh in ur face pay more for slower ur joking right???? I got a better idea use atlantic terminal LIRR then subway to lower manhattan or MTA's plan to extend it to lower manhattan goes through.

If you buy a monthly pass, it's not too expensive. I think it's only a few dollars more than an LIRR Zone 7 pass (I think it's like $260 vs. $254). Plus, if you're going to Lower Manhattan, you don't have to pay for a MetroCard, so you save money that way.

ur joking right???? have you seen the LIE??? ppl in LI do NOT have that kind of patience those buses will FAIL HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL USE EM PERIOD.

PPL will never give up LIRR for a slower bus trip ever not even bus lovers like myself. In LI buses should solely exist to feed ppl to LIRR and provide local service on busy corridors and nothing more period. FAIL thread. next listen to lilbluefox LI folk will never trade a train for a bus ever. try using LIRR and you will know why. Express trains take around 40 mins to get to eastern nassau!!!!!!!!!!!! compare that with a bus NO CONTEST at all next.

because you can easily hop on an LIRR train.

and theres Hampton Jitney for eastern Suffolk by the way.

AGREED:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup: seriously local buses take you to LIRR.

Hampton Jitneys are out east. I live in central Suffolk. No way I drive 40 minutes out east just to board a Jitney. I could almost be in Queens by then myself.

I can help you better where exactly is your absolute origin???

Nassau County has Long Island Transit NY Express, which operates from Glen Clove/Roslyn to either Midtown or Downtown Manhattan, but expensive.

Do not know how long this service will last???

Welcome aboard lawnsguysland. Seems as though you have alot of views and takes of mass transit in Suffolk, LI and metro NYC.

Other than maybe a couple of peak hour bus service to Manhattan in couple of town, far away from a LIRR station, i.e Smithtown, etc. run by a private company Suffolk County government will never pay for a full time 7-day bus line to/from NYC. That true in especially in Central and Western Suffolk. They will assume that since most Suffolk have cars they will drive to a station and take the train.

So in nutshell, in these tough fiscal times, Suffolk is lucky that *local intra-county* service is still around.

It may not be what you what to hear but glad Lawnsguy you have LIRR service. Folks say living for instance, in Orange County, NY in upstate Hudson Valley, the Poconos and western jersey along Interstates 78 and 80 have *limited Bus service* running at best in some cases 3-4 time a day to/from NYC, that very expensive. Those living in NYC's western and Northern suburus would trade in heartbeat living near a LIRR station which also runs 24/7 service. Just my takes.

Mind you service in the poconos is improving as we speak they added a new line that serves the delaware water gap park directly.

Personally, I think there should be buses in the areas without LIRR service, at least during rush hour. Sure, most people can drive (or maybe even take a local bus) to reach the LIRR, but then they have to deal with parking, whereas for the bus they can sit back and relax the whole way.

I think the Hempstead Turnpike and Jericho Turnpike corridors could support service at least during rush hour, especially if it went directly to Lower Manhattan.

This way, you can just sit back and relax. With the LIRR, you have to:

* Drive to the LIRR station

* Change at Jamaica (I think this applies for most Main Line trains, which is where much of the ridership would divert from)

* Take the subway

Either that, or you could take the (E)/(J)/(Z), but then you're dealing with the slow speed and crowding on those lines.

I mean, if a Zone 10 pass costs $299, you could charge say, $320 and people would still use it. HA HA HA HA SPEAK FOR URSELF TRY SELLING THAT TO LI folk please they would laugh in ur face pay more for slower ur joking right???? I got a better idea use atlantic terminal LIRR then subway to lower manhattan or MTA's plan to extend it to lower manhattan goes through.

If you buy a monthly pass, it's not too expensive. I think it's only a few dollars more than an LIRR Zone 7 pass (I think it's like $260 vs. $254). Plus, if you're going to Lower Manhattan, you don't have to pay for a MetroCard, so you save money that way.

ur joking right???? have you seen the LIE??? ppl in LI do NOT have that kind of patience those buses will FAIL HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL USE EM PERIOD.

PPL will never give up LIRR for a slower bus trip ever not even bus lovers like myself. In LI buses should solely exist to feed ppl to LIRR and provide local service on busy corridors and nothing more period. FAIL thread. next listen to lilbluefox LI folk will never trade a train for a bus ever. try using LIRR and you will know why. Express trains take around 40 mins to get to eastern nassau!!!!!!!!!!!! compare that with a bus NO CONTEST at all next.

Calm down. You have some good points but your reckless disregard to grammar as well as using a million exclamation marks and questions marks exponentially decreases your creditability credibility and thus is why people rarely take you seriously.

All you need to do is spend an extra minute, not even, to put in a little effort into making your posts at least semi-readable without having the little voice in the reader's head screaming at them. Nobody's arguing here, so no need to give off the impression that you're shouting or that you're angry.

Calm down. You have some good points but your reckless disregard to grammar as well as using a million exclamation marks and questions marks exponentially decreases your creditability credibility and thus is why people rarely take you seriously.

All you need to do is spend an extra minute, not even, to put in a little effort into making your posts at least semi-readable without having the little voice in the reader's head screaming at them. Nobody's arguing here, so no need to give off the impression that you're shouting or that you're angry.

sorry man

sorry man

1) I can help you better where exactly is your absolute origin???

2) ur joking right???? have you seen the LIE??? ppl in LI do NOT have that kind of patience those buses will FAIL HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL USE EM PERIOD.

1) He mentioned in the other thread that it's around Oakdale/Sayville, which is right by the LIRR.

2) If you're guaranteed a seat and you can sit back and relax, maybe you'll be willing to take a bus. Plus, what if you don't have a car and you don't want to deal with taking SCT to the LIRR?

As far as the extra cost goes, it's cheaper than the LIRR because you don't have to pay for the subway to reach Lower Manhattan.

Well, he could be typing from some type of phone where it's hard to capitalize, but I do agree he goes overboard with the exclamation points.

1) I can help you better where exactly is your absolute origin???

2) ur joking right???? have you seen the LIE??? ppl in LI do NOT have that kind of patience those buses will FAIL HARDCORE!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE WILL USE EM PERIOD.

1) He mentioned in the other thread that it's around Oakdale/Sayville, which is right by the LIRR.

2) If you're guaranteed a seat and you can sit back and relax, maybe you'll be willing to take a bus. Plus, what if you don't have a car and you don't want to deal with taking SCT to the LIRR?

As far as the extra cost goes, it's cheaper than the LIRR because you don't have to pay for the subway to reach Lower Manhattan.

Well, he could be typing from some type of phone where it's hard to capitalize, but I do agree he goes overboard with the exclamation points.

I feel sorry for anyone that reads this thread that actually thinks, tries to make a case for, or expects SCT or the MTA to start running buses b/w NYC & Suffolk ("untapped" areas, that is).... Or worse, some other private company....

If you're guaranteed a seat and you can sit back and relax, maybe you'll be willing to take a bus. Plus, what if you don't have a car and you don't want to deal with taking SCT to the LIRR?

1) LIRR trains aren't SRO because each & every seat is filled on each car; so there goes that guaranteed seat argument... As was said, aint no one fin to give up their SEAT on the LIRR for no bus.... and aint no passenger standing from any station w/i suffolk, all the way to Jamaica or Penn b/c they have to....

2) ppl. taking SCT to/from the RR isn't as high as you're makin it out to be.... especially to the tune where starting up bus service to NY would enter anyone's mind... HJ runs buses out on the "forks" b/c Montauk & Greenport LIRR service is pure gaabage....

3) If you don't have a car & you don't wanna take a local bus to the LIRR, then guess what.... You either stay put where you live around (and become a part of the "I can't stand NYC" crowd), or you hitch a ride w/ a friend, friend of a friend, w/e.....

You think the cost per passenger on our exp. bus services in the boroughs are high.... haha.... have some poor soul start running buses b/w different parts of suffolk to NYC... Hell, LITransit had to learn that the hard way, and those buses only serve a particular part of Nassau county..... lmao....

As for HJ, they turn a profit b/c they're robbing those passengers blind....

Luxury liner my ass, it's a overpriced jitney.... aint no different than taxi's that run out of RR stations in the suburbs....

I feel sorry for anyone that reads this thread that actually thinks, tries to make a case for, or expects SCT or the MTA to start running buses b/w NYC & Suffolk ("untapped" areas, that is).... Or worse, some other private company....

If you're guaranteed a seat and you can sit back and relax, maybe you'll be willing to take a bus. Plus, what if you don't have a car and you don't want to deal with taking SCT to the LIRR?

1) LIRR trains aren't SRO because each & every seat is filled on each car; so there goes that guaranteed seat argument... As was said, aint no one fin to give up their SEAT on the LIRR for no bus.... and aint no passenger standing from any station w/i suffolk, all the way to Jamaica or Penn b/c they have to....

2) ppl. taking SCT to/from the RR isn't as high as you're makin it out to be.... especially to the tune where starting up bus service to NY would enter anyone's mind... HJ runs buses out on the "forks" b/c Montauk & Greenport LIRR service is pure gaabage....

3) If you don't have a car & you don't wanna take a local bus to the LIRR, then guess what.... You either stay put where you live around (and become a part of the "I can't stand NYC" crowd), or you hitch a ride w/ a friend, friend of a friend, w/e.....

You think the cost per passenger on our exp. bus services in the boroughs are high.... haha.... have some poor soul start running buses b/w different parts of suffolk to NYC... Hell, LITransit had to learn that the hard way, and those buses only serve a particular part of Nassau county..... lmao....

Luxury liner my ass, it's a overpriced jitney.... aint no different than taxi's that run out of RR stations in the suburbs....

couldn't say it better myself!!!!!!! nuff said B35 already explained why NYC to suffolk bus WILL NOT WORK ppl kill this thread now

couldn't say it better myself!!!!!!! nuff said B35 already explained why NYC to suffolk bus WILL NOT WORK ppl kill this thread now

Guys, Western and Central Suffolk are not nearly as far out as you make it seem from the very beginning of NYC which is the border of New Hyde Park and Queens. It's like 30-45 miles away...that's nothing. Going straight West for 30-45 miles should only take around 45 minutes. Yet it will take over an hour every time on the LIRR. I think a mule could get me there faster. Someone was telling me about an express from Ronkonkoma that only makes like 2 or 3 stops...which is that? Can someone tell me the fastest possible way from Ronkonkoma LIRR to Jamaica? Least stops as possible.

Guys, Western and Central Suffolk are not nearly as far out as you make it seem from the very beginning of NYC which is the border of New Hyde Park and Queens. It's like 30-45 miles away...that's nothing. Going straight West for 30-45 miles should only take around 45 minutes. Yet it will take over an hour every time on the LIRR. I think a mule could get me there faster. Someone was telling me about an express from Ronkonkoma that only makes like 2 or 3 stops...which is that? Can someone tell me the fastest possible way from Ronkonkoma LIRR to Jamaica? Least stops as possible.

30-45 miles away from the city is nothing? And me, living in Manhattan, consider it a road trip just to go out to Queens.

Yes, an express bus would definitely be faster, but such a route would not be profitable at all.

30-45 miles away from the city is nothing? And me, living in Manhattan, consider it a road trip just to go out to Queens.

Yes, an express bus would definitely be faster, but such a route would not be profitable at all.

The 2 am expresses from Ronkonkoma do not stop at Jamaica-straight to Penn

The 7:17 from Patchogue stops at Hicksville, Mineola and Jamaica if I'm reading correctly. Try the MTA home page/LIRR.

The 2 am expresses from Ronkonkoma do not stop at Jamaica-straight to Penn

The 7:17 from Patchogue stops at Hicksville, Mineola and Jamaica if I'm reading correctly. Try the MTA home page/LIRR.

Why is this a thread?
I was wondering that myself this thread is pure stupidity

who would use it??? last I checked the LIE is really that bad an express bus will only be faster during off-peak times.

err sorry nothing use LIRR express trains at am. Ohh good luck getting ppl on buses ha get real

Why is this a thread?
I was wondering that myself this thread is pure stupidity

who would use it??? last I checked the LIE is really that bad an express bus will only be faster during off-peak times.

err sorry nothing use LIRR express trains at am. Ohh good luck getting ppl on buses ha get real

Archived