Where is the hidden subway

jv10303

People forever finding any way possible to bring back a second service to the West End smh. Now that I've actually worked the (D) a bit in the rush hour (and being a Bronx native of all the services up here) I can honestly say a second service on the West End is optional, more of a convenience than anything else.

Sometimes I wonder why railfans thing little connections and things like that can't be done just for overall flexibility, there always gotta be some type of new or redone service forced through it. Nobody ever said every piece of trackage in the system not designated as yard or siding must be used for revenue service, even if money was unlimited.

People forever finding any way possible to bring back a second service to the West End smh. Now that I've actually worked the (D) a bit in the rush hour (and being a Bronx native of all the services up here) I can honestly say a second service on the West End is optional, more of a convenience than anything else.

Sometimes I wonder why railfans thing little connections and things like that can't be done just for overall flexibility, there always gotta be some type of new or redone service forced through it. Nobody ever said every piece of trackage in the system not designated as yard or siding must be used for revenue service, even if money was unlimited.

people forever finding any way possible to bring back a second service to the west end smh. Now that i've actually worked the (D) a bit in the rush hour (and being a bronx native of all the services up here) i can honestly say a second service on the west end is optional, more of a convenience than anything else.

Sometimes i wonder why railfans thing little connections and things like that can't be done just for overall flexibility, there always gotta be some type of new or redone service forced through it. Nobody ever said every piece of trackage in the system not designated as yard or siding must be used for revenue service, even if money was unlimited.

thank you!!

people forever finding any way possible to bring back a second service to the west end smh. Now that i've actually worked the (D) a bit in the rush hour (and being a bronx native of all the services up here) i can honestly say a second service on the west end is optional, more of a convenience than anything else.

Sometimes i wonder why railfans thing little connections and things like that can't be done just for overall flexibility, there always gotta be some type of new or redone service forced through it. Nobody ever said every piece of trackage in the system not designated as yard or siding must be used for revenue service, even if money was unlimited.

thank you!!

Getting back on topic: I believe the original poster might have meant the IRT connection to the Manhattan Bridge. Before Brooklyn had any bridge connection to Manhattan, the IRT was thinking about connecting their Brooklyn trunk line via the Manhattan Bridge and connecting it to 3 Avenue in Manhattan. The Dekalb Avenue station was designed to allow for the possibility of an IRT subway passing over it if the IRT got the green light to use the bridge. The BMT, however, ended up getting the bridge connection—north and south sides. I'm not sure how much the IRT was able to provision for such a connection, but the area has a lot of unused tunnels (like the one at Nevins Street).

Getting back on topic: I believe the original poster might have meant the IRT connection to the Manhattan Bridge. Before Brooklyn had any bridge connection to Manhattan, the IRT was thinking about connecting their Brooklyn trunk line via the Manhattan Bridge and connecting it to 3 Avenue in Manhattan. The Dekalb Avenue station was designed to allow for the possibility of an IRT subway passing over it if the IRT got the green light to use the bridge. The BMT, however, ended up getting the bridge connection—north and south sides. I'm not sure how much the IRT was able to provision for such a connection, but the area has a lot of unused tunnels (like the one at Nevins Street).

One used to be able to see the now abandoned trackage that led to the south side of the Manhattan Bridge from the Chambers St-Nassau loop station although I'm not sure if the view still exists. Leaving Canal St s/b on today's (N) and (Q) lines there were cuts in the wall on the right hand side where, from a RFW, one could see the (now) orphaned trackage that used to lead to the bridge. IIRC I was told that part of that line was still used after the 6th Av-B'way service changes for relays and/or storage for trains still using the Chambers-Nassau Loop station. Perhaps that's what the OP is thinking about ? With all of the track and switch modifications done to Nassau St. services in recent years perhaps it was more cost efficient to leave those unused bridge leads in place rather than removing the rails.

lol you peeps are funny. and for making a fantasy map that is not a bad idea. mta has a program where you submit ideas and what not, maybe it would win a prize. you never know !

332w5n7.jpg

While I understand they take feedback, but making crazy changes to the system? Submitting fantasy maps?!?! LOL I dont think so.... The people that work for customer service are not the same people that WORK top level who MAKE changes, customer service will be like "I dont understand?" or "Umm.... ok? Ill submit it" thinking to themselves who?

One used to be able to see the now abandoned trackage that led to the south side of the Manhattan Bridge from the Chambers St-Nassau loop station although I'm not sure if the view still exists. Leaving Canal St s/b on today's (N) and (Q) lines there were cuts in the wall on the right hand side where, from a RFW, one could see the (now) orphaned trackage that used to lead to the bridge. IIRC I was told that part of that line was still used after the 6th Av-B'way service changes for relays and/or storage for trains still using the Chambers-Nassau Loop station. Perhaps that's what the OP is thinking about ? With all of the track and switch modifications done to Nassau St. services in recent years perhaps it was more cost efficient to leave those unused bridge leads in place rather than removing the rails.

I've seen an R160 train parked there. It's quite visible when the lights are on in the train, and surprisingly close to the revenue trackage.

The only people that should have the authority to make fantasy maps should be cartographers, architects, civil engineers, and urban planners plus the people that are studying the subjects. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I only do things like that as I am an architect student, but even then I have a life.

The only people that should have the authority to make fantasy maps should be cartographers, architects, civil engineers, and urban planners plus the people that are studying the subjects. Otherwise it's a waste of time. I only do things like that as I am an architect student, but even then I have a life.

Just like the emperors in Ancient China that declared it illegal for anyone but the the emperor to eat black rice.

Who are you to suggest a similar restriction be foisted on people interested in expressing their ideas? I may not appreciate some of the really dumb ideas or poorly done maps, but I don't make it a point to tell them that they should get a life. It's a good learning experience (in graphics editing/design), even though the end-product has no value to anyone other than its creator.

I heard there is a hidden line somewhere between dekalb and canal over the N or Q line but I never saw it. Does anyone know its exact location? north /south bound, and any footage markers might help. thanks. id like to see it.

You don't specify if this "hidden subway" is on the Brooklyn or Manhattan side of the bridge but I think that I can put for two worthy candidates.

Since neither you or I were around when these lines were built I consulted two construction histories written by the late David Rogoff.

Firstly on the Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge it was planned to build a loop track north of the now abandoned Myrtle Avenue Station to cross underneath the four bridge tracks and allow trains to return to southern Brooklyn without entering Manhattan. The loop was never built provision for it was made in the form of pockets in the tunnel walls. These pockets were still visible when Mr Rogoff wrote his history in 1961.

Secondly on the Manhattan side of the bridge it was planned to build a crosstown subway on Canal Street running from the Manhattan Bridge to West Street. The only portion ever built extends from just east of Centre Street to the west building line of Broadway. It opened for service on September 4, 1917 and is used by the express trains operating across the Manhattan Bridge. The "hidden subway" part might refer to the unused portion of the tunnel from the west end of the "Broadway-Canal Street" platform to the end of the tunnel at the west side of Broadway.

If you find any more information on this "hidden subway" let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Larry, RedbirdR33

• 3 weeks later...

Since I skim threads, Idk if anyone mentioned it but...

Does he mean the 'abandoned' station at Mrytle Avenue? It's just boarded up with an art thingy inside of it, can't see it well, but a glimpse is possible out of B/Q trains going Manhatten bound.

While that was the case, one thing I would be looking at doing is re-connecting the Brooklyn-bound connection to the Manhattan Bridge from the Nassau Street line, which would allow for some emergency re-routes when needed and perhaps down the road a Nassau Street Loop line that would likely have a single terminal at either 9th Avenue or Bay Parkway, utilizing the tunnel to Manhattan and the Bridge back to Brooklyn, only stopping at Metrotech and Court Street in Brooklyn and Broad, Fulton and Chambers in Manhattan on the uptown platform.

This essentially can be a revival of the (Mx) to/from Bay Parkway to lower Manhattan, except this version would only have one terminal instead of two.

Except he's asking about a "hidden" segment of the subway, not fantasy plans.

I heard there is a hidden line somewhere between dekalb and canal over the N or Q line but I never saw it. Does anyone know its exact location? north /south bound, and any footage markers might help. thanks. id like to see it.

The nearest hidden thing to DeKalb Avenue is the abandoned Myrtle Avenue station, and the nearest hidden lines to Canal Street are the former Nassau connection and the former trackway from the Broadway tracks to the north side of the bridge.

irtredbirdr33, you make an interesting point about the loop track. I have a small question though. You said that "these pockets were still visible when Mr Rogoff wrote his history in 1961", so are you implying that the pockets for this loop (or even slight traces of it) does not exist today? Because I think they actually do.

irtredbirdr33, you make an interesting point about the loop track. I have a small question though. You said that "these pockets were still visible when Mr Rogoff wrote his history in 1961", so are you implying that the pockets for this loop (or even slight traces of it) does not exist today? Because I think they actually do.

Mr Gong: I try to be accurate when I post things and cite my sources. Mr Rogoff was certainly a valid source but I had to admit that this information was 50 years old. I believe that you are entirely right, that the pockets still exist. But I haven't heard from anyone who can provide more recent information. Are there any trackwalkers out there?

Best Wishes, Larry, RedbirdR33

You can see the bellmouth northbound, right where the two 6th Ave. bound tracks merge. I built, the local track going through Myrtle would feed into the loop, while the bypass track would continue straight towards the bridge.

In the other direction, you just see an empty trackbed against the wall that the Bway track heading towards DeKalb merges into.

Yep, it's exactly how Eric B. said it. I am no trackwalker though - it's all pure observation from the side window.

Many thanks to you, Larry, for bringing that up. I have wondered for years what those pockets were for, and today I found the answer. ;)

I remember when weekend (4) weekend G.O. that made no Brooklyn service along with crazy (Q)(N) G.O with no (Q) service and (N) extended via (Q) to Kings Highway, with free shuttle bus closing between Atlantic Av & Prospect Park, which send (J) Shuttle local on (Mx) to 9th Av and when I took it, it was empty.

Archived