Cuomo Picks MSG Executive To Head Up MTA

Shortline Bus

A former city budget director appears to be the leading candidate to become the next head of the MTA, the Daily News has learned.

Joseph Lhota, a key member of former Mayor Rudy Giuliani's administration, is at the top of a short list of candidates being considered to run North America's largest transit system, sources said.

Two sources familiar with the search process for the next MTA chairman described Lhota as the front-runner, but an official in Gov. Cuomo's office challenged that assessment, saying Lhota and the other five finalists are on even footing.

Read more: New York News, Local Video, Traffic, Weather, NY City Schools and Photos - NYDailyNews - NY Daily News

Update October 21, 2011

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has nominated former Deputy Mayor Joseph Lhota to be the next MTA chairman, and is recommending a 5 percent pay cut below the salary of the previous agency chief.

The pick is subject to confirmation by the state Senate. Officials said Lhota is expected to serve as interim CEO within the next month.

Outgoing Chairman Jay Walder, whose last day was Thursday, announced in July he was leaving after two years on the job for a position as CEO of MTR Corporation in Hong Kong. It operates rail services in Asia and Europe.

Walder earned $350,000. A 5 percent cut would bring the salary to $332,500.

Lhota was budget director and deputy mayor for operations under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Most recently he was an executive at Madison Square Garden.

The Harvard Business School graduate had also been a vice president at Cablevision.

"Throughout my career in both the public and private sectors, I have initiated reforms that are performance-based and that cut costs, and I look forward to bringing this same approach to the MTA," Lhota said in a statement.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Chairman-Joe-Lhota-Replacement-Giuliani-Deputy-Cuomo-132241053.html

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/politics/149304/cuomo-picks-msg-executive-to-head-up-mta

A former city budget director appears to be the leading candidate to become the next head of the MTA, the Daily News has learned.

Joseph Lhota, a key member of former Mayor Rudy Giuliani's administration, is at the top of a short list of candidates being considered to run North America's largest transit system, sources said.

Two sources familiar with the search process for the next MTA chairman described Lhota as the front-runner, but an official in Gov. Cuomo's office challenged that assessment, saying Lhota and the other five finalists are on even footing.

Read more: New York News, Local Video, Traffic, Weather, NY City Schools and Photos - NYDailyNews - NY Daily News

Update October 21, 2011

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has nominated former Deputy Mayor Joseph Lhota to be the next MTA chairman, and is recommending a 5 percent pay cut below the salary of the previous agency chief.

The pick is subject to confirmation by the state Senate. Officials said Lhota is expected to serve as interim CEO within the next month.

Outgoing Chairman Jay Walder, whose last day was Thursday, announced in July he was leaving after two years on the job for a position as CEO of MTR Corporation in Hong Kong. It operates rail services in Asia and Europe.

Walder earned $350,000. A 5 percent cut would bring the salary to $332,500.

Lhota was budget director and deputy mayor for operations under former Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Most recently he was an executive at Madison Square Garden.

The Harvard Business School graduate had also been a vice president at Cablevision.

"Throughout my career in both the public and private sectors, I have initiated reforms that are performance-based and that cut costs, and I look forward to bringing this same approach to the MTA," Lhota said in a statement.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/MTA-Chairman-Joe-Lhota-Replacement-Giuliani-Deputy-Cuomo-132241053.html

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/politics/149304/cuomo-picks-msg-executive-to-head-up-mta

Well I wish Lhota the best of luck if Cuomo has already appointed him. His predecessor, Walder, really made the best of a bad situation that had been pushed into his lap by the clown college up in Albany that passes for our state Senate and Assembly. He had a rough time over the service cuts that were made last year, but service cuts and fare increases would been made no matter who sat in that Chairman's seat. The countdown clocks and the printed maps that show the route a train will take during a weekend G.O. were definitely two things he did right. I hope Lhota will be able to build on that.

An update guys. Looks like Mr. Lhota will be picked by Gov. Cuomo as the next (MTA) boss says NY1.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/politics/149304/sources--cuomo-picks-msg-exec-lhota-to-head-up-mta

Yup, was just about to say that myself. According to everyone from all sides (including representatives from upper labor management), he's the best person for the job. Nothing from my union yet, but of course that's to be expected as it is contract time, and whether the union ends up in favor of him or not depends solely on the next contract.

Yes, he has business experience. Yes, he served as Giuliani's poltical hack. Yes, he's a bulldog. Yes, he shmoozes with the jet-set. But what does any of this have to do with running the country's largest transit system? Cuomo also has to appoint a few deputies as well.

To me, this is llike Cathie Black as NYC Schools chancellor. Are they smart? Yes. Are they business savvy? Yes. Are they politically connected? Yes. Does that make them competent? NO!

Any organization worth a damn should have a line of succession of highly qualified personnel who can take over without skipping a beat. You mean to tell me that there's no one in the entire system below Walder who can run it? If that's the case, it's time to reevaluate the MTA as a whole.

Llota will need a whole Llota luck in this gig. The MTA, just like schools, is not a business; it's a public service. There's a reason why the IRT, BRT-BMT, and private bus companies went out of business. The state and city have decided to dry up funding for decades and force the MTA to incur massive debt. The budget shortfalls have little to do with pensions, salaries, and benefits of the rank and file and everything to do with ballooning debt service as well as running the system, maintaining it, and paying for capital improvements.

Unless Gov. Cuomo decides to restore funding to mass transit and support extending the Millionaire's Tax to close the state's budget shortfall, these are going to be rough times ahead. And selecting a chairman whose only mass transit credentials and experience is riding the (2) is a problem!

Yes, he has business experience. Yes, he served as Giuliani's poltical hack. Yes, he's a bulldog. Yes, he shmoozes with the jet-set. But what does any of this have to do with running the country's largest transit system? Cuomo also has to appoint a few deputies as well.

plenty, business experience means he knows how to balance a budget and stay out of the red.

serving with guliani means he knows how to deal with the NYC political machines and special interests.

bulldog? i dont care how he looks as long as he does the job.

plenty, business experience means he knows how to balance a budget and stay out of the red.

serving with guliani means he knows how to deal with the NYC political machines and special interests.

Were you mentored by Ronald Reagan or something?

the guy looks like my high school principal.

He looks very administrative and bureaucratic, doesn't he?

Archived