MTA vs NJT

Transitfan007

Welcome to the club YB, ill be seeing you sometime during the winter pick, the bad thing about my switch to LGA, i will be at the bottom of the list in the depot for about a year. Once the year is up then ill be back into my sinority slot where i belong. So guys who ever is getting hired from exam list 2301, make sure thats the depot you want if not, you will have to wait till the genaral pick which is every jan. Then you will lose your sinority for only a year unless new classes start coming in behind you. After the year is up you will jain your sinority back in place;).

Thanx for the info but lemme ask this do you have any advice on Baisley park? All I know it's tiny compared to other BC depots and what lines come out of it

LOL you can say that again, but one thing i am not discouraging anybody from the express lines, i was just giving my input. Im more of a local type of guys, you may have some ppl that likes the express fast pace kind of thing and others that like the local slow stop and go type of thing. Just telling up coming future B/O make sure you know what you want lol between Express or Local ;)

Express FTW! I'm used to the push and shove game, so express fits me better...but I have no problem working local.

I've applied for (NJT) B/O and I'm going for it....so you guys that are in line for 2301 will move up one number because I plan on building my 520 hours ASAP and moving up to F/T at NJT.

I can only speak for myself, but (NJT) seems like the better deal for me. Especially now that I've heard they are letting guys pick what garage they want.....Oradell and Wayne are my top 2 picks with Meadowlands and Howell being my bottom 2. I rather go to an all-MCI garage because I think it will make training easier since i'm uber-familiar with the D4500.

The tunnel is the tunnel....if you know how to push and shove you can make your turnarounds. And for you guys thinking about (NJT)...Ironbound is right, if you have a full time gig don't quit it, and if you don't you need to pick up something else on the side....I've been hearing the P/Ts at Meadowlands have been getting 15-18 hours, you CANNOT survive off of that. My advice to people....try to get into Oradell,Wayne,Meadowlands or Washington Twp....if you can keep ur nose clean you can make F/T is less than a year.

Express FTW! I'm used to the push and shove game, so express fits me better...but I have no problem working local.

I've applied for (NJT) B/O and I'm going for it....so you guys that are in line for 2301 will move up one number because I plan on building my 520 hours ASAP and moving up to F/T at NJT.

I can only speak for myself, but (NJT) seems like the better deal for me. Especially now that I've heard they are letting guys pick what garage they want.....Oradell and Wayne are my top 2 picks with Meadowlands and Howell being my bottom 2. I rather go to an all-MCI garage because I think it will make training easier since i'm uber-familiar with the D4500.

The tunnel is the tunnel....if you know how to push and shove you can make your turnarounds. And for you guys thinking about (NJT)...Ironbound is right, if you have a full time gig don't quit it, and if you don't you need to pick up something else on the side....I've been hearing the P/Ts at Meadowlands have been getting 15-18 hours, you CANNOT survive off of that. My advice to people....try to get into Oradell,Wayne,Meadowlands or Washington Twp....if you can keep ur nose clean you can make F/T is less than a year.

That's funny, I was thinking about the Howell garage seeing thats it close to me, but would rather do (MTA) express. Decisions, decisions!

Thanx for the info but lemme ask this do you have any advice on Baisley park? All I know it's tiny compared to other BC depots and what lines come out of it

yes bp is a small depot with only 4 local (Q 110,111,112, and 113) and one express line ( QM21 ), but bp have alot of runs out of the local lines, those lines are very busy;). Anything else ask me.

That's funny, I was thinking about the Howell garage seeing thats it close to me, but would rather do (MTA) express. Decisions, decisions!

Howell is one of those garages where you are guilty until proven innocent. The Rt. 9 commuters are notoriously bitchy about everything and I've heard that alot of P/Ts get caught up in their BS. Add to the fact that quite a few of the F/Ts at Howell are douchebags and you have a "great" working environment.

There was a time that Howell was my first choice but doing some reasearch and talking to a couple guys from Howell has dowgraded that garage in my book.

• 4 years later...

i'm sorry to resurrect an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one. I'm new to the forum but I've been enjoying all the information thus far.

Would the information in this thread still be considered valid today regarding NJT only hiring PT Bus Operators and reaching FT after 520 hours? Would anyone here leave MTA to join NJT in any capacity or vice versa?

Someone asked a question regarding the retirement benefits between these 2 companies but I didn't see a response so I'm curious to know about that also if possible. 

Would you make more money with MTA vs NJT or are they about the same?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!!

NJT did away with the PT>FT thing a few months back. Everyone is hired as "Full Time Probationary" drivers until their probationary period ends after a year of service. Starting wage is now $16.07/hr.

MTA pays more than NJT. Starting wage is $20.97, going up to $29.95 after 4 years. I'm not sure of the new pay scale for NJT.

NJT did away with the PT>FT thing a few months back. Everyone is hired as "Full Time Probationary" drivers until their probationary period ends after a year of service. Starting wage is now $16.07/hr.

MTA pays more than NJT. Starting wage is $20.97, going up to $29.95 after 4 years. I'm not sure of the new pay scale for NJT.

Thank you Seven for that info. Would you by any chance know of the retirement benefits of either? Also the ease of promotional opprtunities? I know with NYCT, you take promotional tests...I'm wondering if that's the same situation with NJT. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Seven for that info. Would you by any chance know of the retirement benefits of either? Also the ease of promotional opprtunities? I know with NYCT, you take promotional tests...I'm wondering if that's the same situation with NJT. Thanks again.

With (MTA) it's now about 5-6 years to top pay in tier 6.  You will pay more into your pension capping at 15K OT per year.  I have no info on NJT.

MTA 25/55 or 10/62 to retire with no penalty for leaving early. Pension provided by NYCERs. I'll stick with the generic buses promo path. Dispatcher will be a test like B/O after that you become corporate it's back to relecant exp with resume and interviews. Getting in now is 5 steps to top pay 32.44 (Unsure of cents but definitely 32)

NJT 25/55 When I left them they had "rule of 80" If age and years of service added to 80, you could retire with no pension penalty. Everything in NJT is resume and interviews. I personally experienced a lot of who you know over what you know while working there. With the generic bus promo path. You instantly become corporate (salaried, OT pay is either not acknowledged or replaced with some incentive) past B/O position. 5 steps to top pay 28 don't know full amount to cents.

If you had to choose between the two for B/O choose MTA. I left NJT in '14. And at that time work life was abysmal. Let's say you need next week Saturday off and your days off are Tues/Weds. With MTA you can request that for that week change your day off from Tues or Wed to Sat, or if you have time in the bank from working holidays or being late use that and be paid the entirety of the day. Or if you only need part of it request a change of assignment to come in or get off earlier or later than your shift actually is. NJ had and according to my friend who still works there has none of that. Now even though I said all I did about NJT it isn't a bad place to work I just always recommend this. NEVER APPLY FOR B/O. Do anything else that interests you there

MTA 25/55 or 10/62 to retire with no penalty for leaving early. Pension provided by NYCERs. I'll stick with the generic buses promo path. Dispatcher will be a test like B/O after that you become corporate it's back to relecant exp with resume and interviews. Getting in now is 5 steps to top pay 32.44 (Unsure of cents but definitely 32)

NJT 25/55 When I left them they had "rule of 80" If age and years of service added to 80, you could retire with no pension penalty. Everything in NJT is resume and interviews. I personally experienced a lot of who you know over what you know while working there. With the generic bus promo path. You instantly become corporate (salaried, OT pay is either not acknowledged or replaced with some incentive) past B/O position. 5 steps to top pay 28 don't know full amount to cents.

If you had to choose between the two for B/O choose MTA. I left NJT in '14. And at that time work life was abysmal. Let's say you need next week Saturday off and your days off are Tues/Weds. With MTA you can request that for that week change your day off from Tues or Wed to Sat, or if you have time in the bank from working holidays or being late use that and be paid the entirety of the day. Or if you only need part of it request a change of assignment to come in or get off earlier or later than your shift actually is. NJ had and according to my friend who still works there has none of that. Now even though I said all I did about NJT it isn't a bad place to work I just always recommend this. NEVER APPLY FOR B/O. Do anything else that interests you there

Thanks Ironbound for that insight!!!

Archived