More Cuts to come in August

Jamaica Express

basically if your not a customer bound for NY....you don't matter

if these cuts keep up the :me: will eventually end up only serving Hoboken during Rush Hours only...and direct off-peak service to Hoboken will be a thing of the past

we obviously know how NJT feels about :mbl: riders west of Montclair but it seems like they are getting ready to apply that treatment to all non-new york riders

we all know Warrington wasn't the best of the best but he was definitely better than this Sarles guy

there's more to the system than Midtown Direct and :nec:

Rant and rave all you like. (NJT) needs the money they save to pay for diesel, and the construction of THE Tunnel. Would you prefer another fare increase? These are in off peak and/or reverse peak directions.

- Andy

Rant and rave all you like. (NJT) needs the money they save to pay for diesel, and the construction of THE Tunnel. Would you prefer another fare increase? These are in off peak and/or reverse peak directions.

- Andy

1st of all (NJT) isn't 100% paying for the tunnel...it is a joint project between the Port Authority and NJT....and nothing is set in stone yet...The Tunnel is still a dream waiting to be transformed into reality

And would I prefer another fair increase...lol...the question should be am I ready for another fare increase...

So since these are off-peak and reverse peak service cuts...i guess the riders that aren't going to NY don't matter??

NJT isn't a 9-5 rush hour commuting only operation.....there are people who rely on mass transit.....why would you cancel trains when ridership is increasing??? off-peak and reverse peak ridership is higher than ever...

what other commuter railroads in the country is cutting service, during this surge in demand for Public transit??

1st of all (NJT) isn't 100% paying for the tunnel...it is a joint project between the Port Authority and NJT....and nothing is set in stone yet...The Tunnel is still a dream waiting to be transformed into reality

And would I prefer another fair increase...lol...the question should be am I ready for another fare increase...

So since these are off-peak and reverse peak service cuts...i guess the riders that aren't going to NY don't matter??

NJT isn't a 9-5 rush hour commuting only operation.....there are people who rely on mass transit.....why would you cancel trains when ridership is increasing??? off-peak and reverse peak ridership is higher than ever...

what other commuter railroads in the country is cutting service, during this surge in demand for Public transit??

Remember also that they operate a very large bus fleet. I think the cuts will come off if there's enough rider noise about it, however i personally can't afford to pay more than i do currently to go between trenton and even newark. When i started riding (NJT) rail regularly back in 2001 the round trip fare was 14.50 for the full (NJT):nec:, now it's 21.50. They gotta pay for all those new cars and locomotives somehow... I have a feeling if the noise is there and once the equipment deliveries are nearly complete that the service will be once again increased. I guess we'll have to see what happens. These cuts aside, (NJT) is actually looking to expand its service area, so that is a good thing. Wait and see... wait and see... :cool:

- Andy

• 1 month later...
the new schedules are up and i must admit it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...

Same here. The changes are not as noticeable as I thought they would be.

Well consider that the 5/11 cuts on the :me: are already getting (NJT) threatened with legal action over not holding hearings on the Hoboken-Dover cuts. (NJT) didn't want to do anything that might get them sued.

yea I heard that they might get sued over the :me: cuts from May....apparently it angered alot more people than they thought it would

Im just happy they kept the majority of the thru trains from Bay Head on the :njc: from the way they were talking I thought they were going to eliminate the diesel express trains completely

one big slashing i noticed was the cut in service on the :mb: during weekends....trains will now run Bi-Hourly on the Bergen County Line as oppsed to the hourly service that currently exisist....not so sure if that was a smart move since weekend ridership as at one of its highest peaks in the agency's history

Hello Everyone,

Here is some information that I found in the August 2008 issue of Railpace Newsmagazine in regards to the service cuts.

Bi-Hourly Service will be on the Raritan Valley Line during Sunday Morning and NJT will instead provide Bus Service.

Off Peak and Mid Day NJCL trains will be Consolidated. They also want to eliminate several direct Hoboken trains on the NJCL of course requiring the change over in Long Branch NJ to a Electric hauled train.

There will also be several trains eliminated on the Morris & Essex Lines as well.

This being done as these trains have low ridership.

Eric

Archived