Amtrak construction in Astoria 10/12/11

GojiMet86

There's been some kind of construction these past few days in Astoria. It looks like they're replacing the track ties on the northbound track:

October 12, 2011

P1100016.jpg

P1100017.jpg

P1100018.jpg

This machine moves back and forth on top of the blocks or ties, or whatever they are. I assume it picks them up, moves, and then them down:

P1100019.jpg

P1100020.jpg

There's been some kind of construction these past few days in Astoria. It looks like they're replacing the track ties on the northbound track

FYI - This tie replacement project has been going on since May, both tracks had to have have all ties replaced from CP216 to Harold. They're almost back to Harold on track 2 so this should be wrapping up by November. Also this isn't the "northbound" track, track 1 & 2 are signaled for either direction.

FYI - This tie replacement project has been going on since May, both tracks had to have have all ties replaced from CP216 to Harold. They're almost back to Harold on track 2 so this should be wrapping up by November. Also this isn't the "northbound" track, track 1 & 2 are signaled for either direction.

I did notice this over the summer, but I thought they had finished.

Also, even though I know the tracks are signaled both ways, that's how I remember which track is which.

I did notice this over the summer, but I thought they had finished.

Also, even though I know the tracks are signaled both ways, that's how I remember which track is which.

They started down track 1 from CP216 to Harold, then returned to CP216 to come down track 2.

A helpful quote to figure out which track is which - "1 if by land, 2 if by sea."

Archived