(8) Train Coming?

Chip1035

The number 70(8) was used for the remaining section of the IRT Third Avenue Elevated in the Bronx back in the 70's though. So it was technically used before.

Actually it was used before that. The R-12's were the first IRT cars to carry route numbers on the roll signs. They arrived in 1948 about a year before the end of the joint operation of the Astoria and Flushing Lines by the IRT and BMT Divisions.

The IRT Division assigned Route No 7 to the Flushing Line and Route No 8 to the Astoria Line. The R-12's were placed in service on these lines and the would have carried the No 8.

(For the record the BMT Route Numbers were 8 for the Astoria Line and 9 for the Flushing Line. )

Larry, RedbirdR33

i am get mad at allyn65 aka r40s 4501

i am make big hate of allyn65 ake r40s4501

LOL (8)...revival if the 3rd Avenue El and make it a tunnel??

Haha

You killed it...

Anyways, lets get back on topic. Its just an extra bullet on R62A rollsigns and there is a buff conductor going around and changing the signs.

I have also been seeing alot of <7>'s, (7)'s, (6)'s, and recently one <6> on the signs.

Guest lance25

The pronunciation could be a problem for the hard of hearing I suppose. Though we do have a whole lot of similar-sounding routes already so it shouldn't be that much of a concern. Of course, the (8) isn't going to be revived anytime soon, so this really doesn't mean jack.

Archived