Veolia is taking over LI Bus as MTA is out the door

PinePower

They wrecked another NG? ;)

I'm surprised Hound hasn't come in with how bad the Gilligs were. Even the first Orion V CNGs ordered for LIB fared better. Never have I heard of a bus operation so eager to get rid of all of one model that there was never any evidence that they had them. The diesel Orion Vs LIB had lasted quite some time.

I'd have a better opinion about this if Mangano wasn't so hateful of bus riders and buses in general and paid more than.... $2.5 million. Something's got to give.

The Gilligs were glorified school buses. The trannies were rough shifting,rode hard,driver's seat & instrument panel was too low, & were always overheating/check engine stalling in the summer.

Don't know what went down with the Gilligs up north, but down here they work well especially the Phantoms on some of these crappy roads we have here. All though I wish we had 40' Gillig LFs, though 30's are alright, but hard to find.

Your roads aren't nearly as bad as ours, and the winters aren't nearly as brutal either.

Some busy street has no sidewalks and not enough crosswalks.

When I am travelling between westbound N32 bus stop at Broadway/Trinity Place and Hewlett Library, which is very busy street and cross walks are too far out.

Some sections of Northern Blvd has no sidewalk and well.

I was told by a former MTA bus driver that Veolia Transport Co. was going to take over LI Bus from the MTA. I was going to ask you guys if it was true, but after viewing the forum, I see it is posted. If anyone has any information about this, please send me a response! Thanks guys!

I was told by a former MTA bus driver that Veolia Transport Co. was going to take over LI Bus from the MTA. I was going to ask you guys if it was true, but after viewing the forum, I see it is posted. If anyone has any information about this, please send me a response! Thanks guys!

Its been known that Veolia has been chosen to take over for months. The information you need should be here. Its the Nassau County site for the transportation transition. http://www.libusinfo.com/index.html

Just want to ask. What buses will Veolia use? Some of those buses belong to the MTA. Are the drivers going to be retained?

That's been asked ad nauseam... the Orion Vs were bought by the county so half the answer is obvious; the Orion VIIs were bought mostly with government funds, but they'll stay in Nassau. None of this "omg send this to mta bus" crap.

Didn't know this was discussed ad nauseum. Read that the Orion-VII's were titled to the MTA and not Nassau County. That creates a legal issue to wit the MTA is the owner of the buses. That's why I asked the question. Has that issue been resolved?

There was never an issue. The MTA is just the operator of Long Island Bus, a subsidy. Nassau County owns the buses as confirmed by the County Executive.

Lol! That's funny! Veolia will continue with Orion products for the foreseeable future. There is something in the works right now actually. I just haven't had time to post any updates on bus orders. I was supposed to do it 22 days, but still haven't.

I did hear they want to order more Buses once they take over, (mostlikely orion 3G CNG's)

1760-1839 are property of the MTA. This takeover wasn't out of nowhere....the 1800's came with run boxes for a reason.

they are (MTA)'s but (MTA) told Nassau you can keep them Peices of shit, the 1800's are much better than the 1700's

They have a blue stripe for a reason.. The county didn't pay for them, the MTA did. MTA might just charge Veolia to use them I guess. Like a lease deal.

Nope they can't, If they did Nassau can sue them for scrapping the 1400's and early 1500's as well as the 1800's (orion V's) to Me thats the real reason why those Ng's are staying, you can't scrap a Bus thats you didn't purchaced then take the ones u gave back, LIB would be screwed if they did that

Per the board meeting video, driver training is underway, but the contract will have to be approved by the legislature, and a public hearing would be needed before the vote. They are aiming for a ratification date of late next month.

These buses are staying in Nassau County because they were bought with 80% FTA funds for Nassau County.

Exactly! It doesn't matter who "bought" the buses they were bought with government funds intending the buses to be used in Nassau County NOT to be owned by the MTA. Therefore the buses stay in Nassau.

Read that the Orion-VII's were titled to the MTA and not Nassau County.

I'd assume come Jan. 1st. the buses would be titled to Veolia, the operator.

Archived