Culver Express?

dmouse

obviously no one is for peak direction express south of church av. however, you can run half or a third (whatever #) of (F) trains Exp NORTH of Church Av...

Obviously, someone hasn't read all the posts, because reducing trains to busy stations is not a good idea.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder that the Second Avenue station can only terminate and relay trains traveling EAST from the Broadway-Lafayette Street station TOWARD Second Avenue. The Second Avenue station can not terminate and relay any trains traveling WEST from the Delancy - Essex Street complex. Check your track maps before making such proposals.

Mike

Looking at this map, http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-chrystie.png it looks like connections to the west-bound tracks from Delancy Street could be constructed. Is this at all possible?

The creators of the track maps used on the NYC-Subway.Org have always said that the track maps do not indicate the distances of stations, tracks, etc. Rather the maps show the relative locations of tracks, switches and the relationship of one track to the next. The track maps are descriptive, but they are not track plans.

The two layup tracks at the Second Avenue station extend about 500 feet past the platforms at the Second Avenue station, even though there is now a false wall to keep out homeless persons. When one is riding the Queens bound F-trains that leaves the Essex-Delancy Street station, it is easy to notice that these pair of layup tracks come from an upper level, as the F-train turns and rises upon its entrance to the Second Avenue station.

So no, Queens bound F-trains that leaves the Essex-Delancy Street station can not be routed to these layup tracks, and there is not a place to terminate and relay such trains until Queen-bound F-trains reach the lower level of the West 4th Street station. However such an operation would require that something be done about the D-trains that usually travel over the express tracks that would be used in such a terminate and relay operation. The short answer is NO.

Mike

I was wondering if there was a (F) at one time or another that went Express from Jay St, to

7th Av

Church Av

18th

Kings Hwy

Avenue X

West 8th St - NY Aquarium

Coney Island - Stillwell avenue

Never heard of it before thought I asked, as I've never seen anything on the Culver Express tracks except @ Avenue U where a Jamaica R160 was laid up.

There was an (F) that ran express from Avenue X to Church Avenue a long time ago, but I don't remember anything else. They had the (F) and the (G) running express when they were fixing the tracks from Church Avenue to Bergen Street, but there were temporary platforms. I think that in the future the (G) is going to run local to Coney Island all times, and the (F) will run Express from Church Avenue to Bergen Street, and from Church Avenue to Avenue X in the peak direction.

Guest lance25
G.O.'s, maybe. Revenue service, don't count on it. The Coney Island terminal is at capacity, hence why some (F) trains short-turn at Avenue X.

I thought those trains turned at Kings Hwy.

I been reading through this thread and have yet to read a post on why there is construction going on with the express tracks from Church Ave. and beyond Smith & 9th streets. I been riding the F frequently for the past few months and there is new cement and tracks and a lot of activity down there. I wanted to start a new thread to ask what's going on there and is there a plan in the works to make use of the express tracks. I am shocked this is not being discussed here.....unless I missed something.

I would like to know what all that construction is about? I'm sure it's not all for nothing.

I been reading through this thread and have yet to read a post on why there is construction going on with the express tracks from Church Ave. and beyond Smith & 9th streets. I been riding the F frequently for the past few months and there is new cement and tracks and a lot of activity down there. I wanted to start a new thread to ask what's going on there and is there a plan in the works to make use of the express tracks. I am shocked this is not being discussed here.....unless I missed something.

I would like to know what all that construction is about? I'm sure it's not all for nothing.

NYCT Track Dept. has been doing track renewal in certain sections from south of 4th Av to Church Av on tracks B2, 3, and 4. When track B1 (S/b local is taken OOS, work will be done there too). And from Carroll St to Ditmas Av, contractors are doing work to install a new signal system. Is is all done in conjunction with the Smith St Viaduct Project.

• 1 month later...

People, people, calm down. I know the answer ;D. The (F) express ended in the 80s (As everyone else stated) but there has been a few 'incidents' or 'cases' of (F) trains running express. I've been on one although it did stop at NY Aquarium and Smith-9sts. It was operated by an R-44 unit. It was early 90s.

I would keep all 6 Avenue Services the way it is. I would extend the (E) into Brooklyn to Church Avenue. That way, the E can be rerouted south of W. 4 street on the (F) and riders from Culver Stations will use the (E) so that they can have a one seat ride to Stations on 6 Avenue while the F goes express in both directions. As for World Trade Center then The C can operate every other train to WTC.

I would keep all 6 Avenue Services the way it is. I would extend the (E) into Brooklyn to Church Avenue. That way, the E can be rerouted south of W. 4 street on the (F) and riders from Culver Stations will use the (E) so that they can have a one seat ride to Stations on 6 Avenue while the F goes express in both directions. As for World Trade Center then The C can operate every other train to WTC.

This would either jam the Cranberry Tube or stop service on the Fulton Street Line it won't work.

This would either jam the Cranberry Tube or stop service on the Fulton Street Line it won't work.

The (E) would access Manhattan or Brooklyn via the Rutgers Street Tunnel instead of the Cranberry Street tunnel which already has two services the (A)(C). The Rutgers Would have two services the (E)(F) which are almost like twins in most places. Relieves overcrowding in Both Tunnels

The (E) would access Manhattan or Brooklyn via the Rutgers Street Tunnel instead of the Cranberry Street tunnel which already has two services the (A)(C). The Rutgers Would have two services the (E)(F) which are almost like twins in most places. Relieves overcrowding in Both Tunnels

But this would jam the (M) trains that would need those tracks to switch onto the Williamsburg Bridge. The only way you can implement Culver Express service is to have a connection to the Second Avenue Subway just north of the Houston Street Station.

But this would jam the (M) trains that would need those tracks to switch onto the Williamsburg Bridge. The only way you can implement Culver Express service is to have a connection to the Second Avenue Subway just north of the Houston Street Station.

The (E) operates every 3 minutes during rush hours, while the (F) operates every 6 minutes, and the (M) operates 8 minutes. The M branches to the Nassau Street Line towards the right as well as it forks in. All trains would have a 2-3 minute delay every 48 minutes during rush hours. But the E would've extended all times

Guest lance25

If the (E) was rerouted down through Rutgers, 8th Avenue would lose local service at Spring and Canal Sts and the World Trade Center section of the Chambers St-WTC station would be completely abandoned. Remember, for the former, the (C) runs approximately every ten minutes compared to the (E)'s less than five minute intervals. For the latter, the World Trade Center station is closest to its namesake as well as the PATH station. Not only would (C) trains (and possibly (A) trains as well) be more crowded, especially when One World Trade opens, but you'd be forcing those passengers to the passageway to the (A) and (C) lines in order to head uptown.

This violates that whole moving switches with high-frequency train lines, too. Delays on the (C) trying to get into W4 would abound. It works with the (F) and (M) north of 47-50 because the (M) has a spot between 5Av and 47-50 to sit out of the way of (E)'s behind it. The (F) runs by itself at that point and can have a train sit south of 57 and another train come comfortably into 57.

If the (E) was rerouted down through Rutgers, 8th Avenue would lose local service at Spring and Canal Sts and the World Trade Center section of the Chambers St-WTC station would be completely abandoned. Remember, for the former, the (C) runs approximately every ten minutes compared to the (E)'s less than five minute intervals. For the latter, the World Trade Center station is closest to its namesake as well as the PATH station. Not only would (C) trains (and possibly (A) trains as well) be more crowded, especially when One World Trade opens, but you'd be forcing those passengers to the passageway to the (A) and (C) lines in order to head uptown.

That problem could be solved by adding a (K) train that would operate 4-5 tph daytime and 2tph nights between Chambers and 168 that can supplement the ©/(E).

Other thing I would do is have the (C) be the train that joins the (F) in Brooklyn (with the (E) replacing the (C) to Euclid), with the (C) replacing the (F) as the Culver Local UNLESS as part of this, the (F) is shortened to Church Avenue and the (C) heads to Coney Island (with select (F) trains running peak-hour express to Kings Highway running express between there and Church Avenue).

That problem could be solved by adding a (K) train that would operate 4-5 tph daytime and 2tph nights between Chambers and 168 that can supplement the ©/(E).

Other thing I would do is have the (C) be the train that joins the (F) in Brooklyn (with the (E) replacing the (C) to Euclid), with the (C) replacing the (F) as the Culver Local UNLESS as part of this, the (F) is shortened to Church Avenue and the (C) heads to Coney Island (with select (F) trains running peak-hour express to Kings Highway running express between there and Church Avenue).

I think you should not screw with the (F) OR (C)

Archived