Culver Express?

dmouse

Guest lance25
That problem could be solved by adding a (K) train that would operate 4-5 tph daytime and 2tph nights between Chambers and 168 that can supplement the ©/(E).

Other thing I would do is have the (C) be the train that joins the (F) in Brooklyn (with the (E) replacing the (C) to Euclid), with the (C) replacing the (F) as the Culver Local UNLESS as part of this, the (F) is shortened to Church Avenue and the (C) heads to Coney Island (with select (F) trains running peak-hour express to Kings Highway running express between there and Church Avenue).

The idea is to add service without either breaking the bank or screwing over the rest of the system. Bringing in a (K) would require more crews, more trains, etc.

While it's an interesting idea to have both 6th and 8th Avenue serving Culver, having the (E) run all the way to Euclid while maintaining its current headways would again require more trains and crews.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who grew up in Park Slope with the 7th Ave. F stop as my local stop, I always wondered about the express tracks and hoped that they would some day be reactivated. Now that I've learned a little about the system, I see that the concept of an express train along the Culver line really doesn't make much sense. At 7th. Ave. you skip three stops and Church Ave. riders get five skipped stops in total. The benefits of increasing two stops' travel times 6-8 minutes do not make up for the increased cost, scheduling issues, etc...

Logistically speaking, and express G would work, however, that would be fairly useless.

Guest lance25

The Crosstown (G) tracks don't connect to the express tracks except between Smith-9 Sts & 4 Av and just south of Church Av. Your (G) express would skip a grand total of three stops, one of which is the only transfer point to the south Brooklyn lines. Then there's the idea of what you're trying to accomplish. The idea behind a Culver express service isn't just to put those express tracks back in service. It's to provide faster service into and out of Manhattan. No one's going to hop from an (F) train at Church to the (G) express and then jump back to the (F) at Smith, Carroll or Bergen. Chances are, they're going to meet the same train at both points, resulting in a net time savings of exactly zero.

I know that the express G is not a useful train, in fact I said that. I was simply saying that the G was the only train that could use those tracks without seriously impacting the rest of the 6th and/or 8th ave lines.

The (G) line can't use the express tracks even if they wanted to, because it has no way to access them. Here is the track map.

detail-hoytberg.png

The (G) only has access to the local tracks up above.

The (G) line can't use the express tracks even if they wanted to, because it has no way to access them. Here is the track map.

detail-hoytberg.png

The (G) only has access to the local tracks up above.

Sometimes I feel like I've read these posts a thousand times, but this proves that some people don't read no matter how many times it's been said…

Archived