Glitch to the bus riders?

pjbr40

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/10/14/2011-10-14_metrocard_trick_glitch_takes_extra_fare_if_rider_uses_2.html

Daily News posted a article of how Mta is possibly ripping off passenger. but who to blame on this situation? I never knew that metro card can take all the credit that is left on the card and add more cash in the fare box/ or do what some people are doing using 2 metro card to get a full 2.25 fare. read the article and see if anything does or docent make sense. I think this whole thing is Mta fault. The Mta should reject it immediate like they do in subway.

It your job and only your job to make sure you have the fare. Don't blame the MTA cause you cant keep track of your 15 metrocards. when i was used the system before working for it i never had this problem, NEVER. I always had my fare i always knew how many rides i had,maybe not how much money was left but how many rides i had. Maybe an answer to this is they should sell you rides instead of putting money on a card. You buy 2 rides metrocard, 10 rides, 25 rides instead of a dollar amount card. but then this cut into the money they make due to people tossing the cards with 15 cents on them.

It your job and only your job to make sure you have the fare. Don't blame the MTA cause you cant keep track of your 15 metrocards. when i was used the system before working for it i never had this problem, NEVER. I always had my fare i always knew how many rides i had,maybe not how much money was left but how many rides i had. Maybe an answer to this is they should sell you rides instead of putting money on a card. You buy 2 rides metrocard, 10 rides, 25 rides instead of a dollar amount card. but then this cut into the money they make due to people tossing the cards with 15 cents on them.

I gotta agree. Before I got this job, I wiser up and started buying the 30 unlimited card. I ended up riding free for the last week because I used my card 7 days a week at least twice a day. I can understand buying a money card if you rarely use the system. but if u use it everyday, buy the unlimited and keep yourself out of situations like that.

That would work alright except for the fact that express buses charge more for a ride, and it isn't an integer multiple of the local fare (e.g. An express bus is $5 and the local fare is $2.50)

I loved it back a few years ago when the express fare was $4, the local fare was $2, and there was a 20% bonus. It was so simple to figure out how much money you needed to put on the MetroCard. Now, if you take the express bus on the weekends and the subway/local bus during the week (or vice versa), there's a lot more math involved.

Like I said, what I think should happen is that the local bus/subway fare is raised to $2.50, and the express bus fare is raised to $6.25 during rush hour, but cut back to $5 off-peak. And the MetroCard bonus should go back to 20%. They lose money from the bonus, but they get it back by the fact that they can charge extra for the people paying in coins (they pay $2.50 instead of $2.25 like they do now).

I mean, if nothing else, they should at least raise it to 10% to make it a more even number. I don't think they're getting that much money from people throwing out MetroCards with odd amounts.

I keep track of my MC balance... I don't care if there's a crowd of people behind me, when I get the chance, I take a quick glance at the farebox to see if there's enough on my card left for a certain amount of days.

Even the 15% bonus was tolerable. I do have a question, though. I remember my first year of riding buses, when the bonus was still 20%, and using the MC daily, I got on an N43 with only 50 cents on my card. When the card came back up, I dropped in $1.75 in quarters but the bus operator refused to give me a transfer. When I finally managed to find the next 50 cents (after dropping a few coins and nearly falling when he finally left the mall), he sarcastically responded, "Congratulations" and the farebox printed a transfer out. Did he just assume I tried to get by with an empty card or did he just not look? In the spring, I got on the N43 with a card just short of the fare (~$2.10 or something) and the farebox said I had no money left, I dropped in a quarter and a nickel, but the bus operator let me on with no problem.

i agree with most of you folks out there. there was one time i had like 10 metro card. for that being i didn't have it on me at the time when i was with my friend. then one day i said i got to get it to one card which i was abe to do. That why the Mta want to charge a dollar for surcharge to keep yourself in control. Did any of you think of putting multiple metro card on the bus?

This is a real pain in the butt on the express bus. Occasionally I'll have like 5 dollars on my card, which gets eaten up, and then I put in my next card and it will take off another 5.50, not 50 cents. If I don't have the 50 cents in cash, I'm out of luck.

While I am usually on top of how much I have left on my card, life happens and sometimes I just don't realize I am a little short until it is too late. 5 bucks is a pain to wash down the drain, especially since I almost never get on an express bus that has a broken farebox. Just another one of life's annoyances.

At least tue express buses, or at least the qm1 5 and 6 are a lot more reliable than they were last year after the cuts. Seems that the buses are either emptier in general or fewer runs go unfilled. I know they revamped the schedule a bit over the summer, and the changes they made get a thumbs up from me.

It does seem to be a pain in the butt. i used to remember carrying all the changes before the metro card came out. i am sure there is a policy how the firebox on the bus work. i am pretty sure there is vending machine in most stores along the routes, so they don't have to go the subway station to fill it up. correct me if i am wrong .

pjbr40

There is no MetroCard Vending Machines in store.

All Metrocard Merchants in NYC, Long Island and Westchester County has MetroCard symbol where they could buy MetroCard.

Central Terminal of LaGuardia Airport got Credit Card only MetroCard Vending Machine because Hudson Newsstand had higher number of buying MetroCard with credit, atm/debit cards.

Occasionally I'll have like 5 dollars on my card, which gets eaten up, and then I put in my next card and it will take off another 5.50, not 50 cents. If I don't have the 50 cents in cash, I'm out of luck.

I had a habit of asking the passenger "do you have XXX amount in change?" They would look confused, I would ask again and tell them "like Nancy Reagan just say no,and go have a seat." People could under pay, but never over pay on my bus, the MTA was out of luck.:o

I can't blame the MTA for this one, 2 reasons:

A. Why not have full fare on one card instead of two. You can go to a train station and put it all into one card.

B. It's your own damn fault, use some change not another card.

a.There are no stations available in many parts of NYC, and who wants to go in the subway with rats anyway?

b. MTA's correctible fault, why rip off passengers electronically?:confused:

Daily News posted a article of how Mta is possibly ripping off passenger. but who to blame on this situation? I think this whole thing is Mta fault. The Mta should reject it immediate like they do in subway.

You answered your own question, and the cards shouldn't be rejected until empty, so what if the fare is short evey now and then, let them ride.:cool:

Fareboxes are updated daily with information, just write the program for the computer to follow.

Archived