Occupy Wall Street Protests Spread To Europe, Asia, and Other States

East New York

r-OCCUPY-EUROPE-large570.jpg

By ALESSANDRA RIZZO and MEERA SELVA, The Associated Press

ROME -- Italian riot police fired tear gas and water cannons Saturday in Rome as violent protesters hijacked a peaceful demonstration against corporate greed, smashing bank windows, torching cars and hurling bottles.

Elsewhere, hundreds of thousands nicknamed "the indignant" marched without incident in cities across Europe, as the "Occupy Wall Street" protests linked up with long-running demonstrations against European governments' austerity measures.

(CLICK HERE FOR LIVE UPDATES)

Heavy smoke billowed in downtown Rome as a small group broke away and wreaked havoc in streets close to the Colosseum and elsewhere in the city.

Clad in black with their faces covered, protesters threw rocks, bottles and incendiary devices at banks and Rome police in riot gear. With clubs and hammers, they destroyed bank ATMs, set trash bins on fire and assaulted at least two news crews from Sky Italia.

Riot police charged the protesters repeatedly, firing water cannons and tear gas. Around 70 people were injured, according to news reports, including one man who tried to stop the protesters from throwing bottles.

See complete detailed story here.

Of course. This problem has gone global. I'm kinda nervous about what could come of all this but something has to give.

im quite nervous over what could happen, its kinda why I've sorta held back on fully supporting these guys because I don't know what will come of it and will it really be any better than what was there before? or will it be like that song from The Who 'meet the new boss, same as the old boss'

Everyone is fighting the power! And this is the perfect song for it.

Good song MC CJ but i got something better. Not sure how much of a rock music fan you are MC CJ but listen to this Beatles classic.

Actually it's a good thing this Wall St protests has gone far beyond US shores. Many global business cares like crap for the common man and woman who made them rich in the first place.

And foxie sure there always a chance of the 'man'(I am sure someone like Trainmaster will know what that slang means ) lol crushing you down.

The super rich of America and the the other global powers (I am not talking about those wealthy who are legit and paying fair taxes or playing the rules the right) scrwered the system needs to wake up changes are needed.

what can i say? the global bankers have really pissed everyone off.

it's time to hang some of them high. 11 year sentences and a few minor fines are not going to discourage dishonesty in dealing like a few snapped necks and banker trees will.

the bankers are like a renal blockage to society...get them the hell out of the way and flush them down the toilet.

these may well be the first steps in the world collectively waking up and overthrowing this den of vipers and their crooked plotting and scheming out on its ass, where it belongs

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is worth noting: http://news.yahoo.com/tea-party-says-cities-favor-occupy-protesters-214416415.html

Snippet:

Tea party says cities favor Occupy protesters

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Tea party activists on Thursday accused officials in at least four cities of giving preferential treatment to anti-Wall Street protesters, and one group in Richmond is asking the city to repay $8,000 spent for permits and other needs.

THIS is the movement the tea party was supposed to be, only less hipster-y.

The problem is the tea party allowed itself to be overrun by big money business interests that turned it into another incompetent neo-conservative movement...which is exactly the BS that created an environment where the bilking of millions of ordinary Americans was possible.

now it's just a bunch of hicks with bibles in one hand, and guns in the other. and that's coming from someone who SUPPORTS gun rights and actually wants to see gun ownership increased nationwide because it keeps government and criminals honest. however, the tea party as founded was never about protesting the disputed rights of gays, yet that's one of their bedrock issues...

just another dog and pony show at this point...

the battle for occupy wall street will be not becoming a liberal version of the same (hence why i keep saying they need to knock off talk about the environment, etc.)

Archived