R36's are going to be re-released!!!

Andy

With Proto-sound 3.0 but with no TA logos. THere looks to be no more two car add ons just cars on flats. I will get a pair just to make a ten car set. Maybe an extra one to make a full 11-car, as long as the numbers are different. BTW the New York & Atlantic GP38 will be available too...

What a shame, I was hoping that after the Q cars, low-vs, and BMT Standards, that MTH would keep it up with the older equipment or make some of the newer stuff. They have been using the same basic IRT shells for years now. I think I'll skip this set.

Myself and some of the other O Gauge guys were very upset when we heard that this was the next subway set to be released... This shouldve been a redbird set, hands down.. If I get this set, Im changing the sound set to a diff route, and ill decal it myself...

I would have loved a redbird set, but I was only 7 when the original came out so I don't think a seven yr old is going to purchase a 400 train... :o The reason I'm happy is because now I can get a beautiful set, in terms of paint scheme, with Proto sound 3.0 and updated details (like end-car chains etc). Just look at how lovely the last two Railking sets came out (The Q-type and R142A) they even had shorther couplers. Also, anyone can get the logos from islandmodelworks, so I'm getting this set, and get some logos from islandmodelworks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This set had the most attractive paint schemes of all the subway sets.

I have 3 of these sets already including some of the 2 car add on packs. These were made in 2002. I hope this reissue does not devalue those sets. I heard the reason they do not have the MTA Decals is because they lost license from the MTA when they made the Graffiti car Subway Sets and marketed those with the MTA logo on them. I guess the MTA interpreted this as bad PR for the subway system.

Now supposedly Lionel has the license but I do not think they are enjoying much success with that. I have all the Lionel sets including the 2 car add on packs for each set. I have 2 of the R-27 sets.

I collect Lego Technics sets too. These are good value items with a dedictated following, but Lego does wreck their collectors by reissuing the same sets over again.

I would guess that some unscrupulous buyers might try to re-letter and add decals to these sets to try and re-sell them as the original 2002 sets. That would just wreck the integrity of what is a small market already. The only people that buy these are usually the people who have actually used the subway, which is just here in the Northeast.

What do you think?

Maybe MTH is hurtin for money. The way trains are priced today, its not for kids anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rumor has it, MTH is trying to get back the MTA License, and also, produce a new Premier Subway Set next year with opening doors....

that was me who called them about getting the license back on subway sets. and asked them to remake a premier R32 mid 90's style (E) set with automatic opening doors because it kinda sucks to have a subway set with manually opening doors.

Archived