U.S. Far Behind China, Japan, and France

CenSin

Please, can you stop comparing? Ok, yes, the system in Japan is far more modern than the NYC subway, but modernity isn't what makes a system great by itself. I wouldn't like it if NYC Subway looked like this. I love the look of the trains in NYC, both the railroad and the subway trains. For me there's nothing to like about that extremely modern system, except that it's modern. There's no history to it, unlike other systems, which have tons of history. For me great systems are London, Paris, Moscow and Budapest (although I've never been to the last two) and NYC of course. Those are systems I can admire, because they have character, are vast, run extremely well for their age and were built when it was so much harder to do so. The systems I mentioned have nothing to jealous of.

Please, can you stop comparing? Ok, yes, the system in Japan is far more modern than the NYC subway, but modernity isn't what makes a system great by itself. I wouldn't like it if NYC Subway looked like this. I love the look of the trains in NYC, both the railroad and the subway trains. For me there's nothing to like about that extremely modern system, except that it's modern. There's no history to it, unlike other systems, which have tons of history. For me great systems are London, Paris, Moscow and Budapest (although I've never been to the last two) and NYC of course. Those are systems I can admire, because they have character, are vast, run extremely well for their age and were built when it was so much harder to do so. The systems I mentioned have nothing to jealous of.
im not saying the NYCT im saying the reast of the country, i mean amtrak or railroads, but its so funny how if you ask anyone in this city how they like the transit system they will say they hate it i hear it all the time i love it i think its great but it does need more funding yes and repair yea but i never hear anyone say we have a great system. what i ask is why do we have the oldest system when it comes to the modern countries like Japan and Germany and london? we are in dead last when it comes too that

im not saying the NYCT im saying the reast of the country, i mean amtrak or railroads, but its so funny how if you ask anyone in this city how they like the transit system they will say they hate it i hear it all the time i love it i think its great but it does need more funding yes and repair yea but i never hear anyone say we have a great system. what i ask is why do we have the oldest system when it comes to the modern countries like Japan and Germany and london? we are in dead last when it comes too that

Just to be clear, London is not a country but a city. The country would be England.

i never said those trains were, they are just a bone lol, those trains where so fast when i was on them i almost vomited, its a railroad not a subway but i have too show you how there subway looks its way past what we have, yes nyct is old but we can do better if we work together and redo the hole system,. what they are doing now is only a bone lol

Lol. So how should "we" work together to get this done? Monopoly money?

I'm still confused as to why you are comparing a subway to a railroad. Not only that, but those systems are modern. NYC subway is old as dirt, and is pretty modern under the circumstances. All those other systems are newer. NYCT is the largest TA on Earth too. I don't understand why people insist on comparing it to other operations. That's something you just can't do.

The NYC Subway is a metro system not a high speed rail line. If you want high speed please ride the Acela Express train which is owned by Amtrak.
i know all about high speed and acela, i have too move this trend but they have a fast speed metro system i have too do a vid on that one, we are moving faster here but we need too do better. and the acela isnt even near as good as this its only in one area of the country, from boston to florida thats all we need to do more

Yeah sure we do want a subway system like this. Old news but still relevant.

Shanghai Subway Accident Injures Hundreds

28shanghai2-articleLarge.jpg

SHANGHAI — Hundreds of people were injured here on Tuesday when a subway train slammed into the rear of another train in a sprawling transit line that opened just last year. The accident cast new scrutiny on the safety record of China’s rapidly modernizing mass transit rail systems.

The state-run news media reported that 271 people were injured during the afternoon accident in the Shanghai Metro system. Xinhua, the official news agency, said that equipment failure was believed to be responsible and that the accident was under investigation.

No deaths were reported, but the government said late Tuesday that about 20 people had serious injuries that were not considered life threatening. Images from the crash site posted on blogs and social networking sites showed some people bloodied and badly injured.

The accident came just two months after a deadly crash involving two trains on China’s high-speed rail network for which officials blamed bad weather and a signal failure. The July 23 crash in the eastern city of Wenzhou killed 40 people and injured nearly 200.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/world/asia/shanghai-subway-accident-injures-hundreds.html

I think this should be seen here too.

SHANGHAI — Hundreds of people were injured here on Tuesday when a subway train slammed into the rear of another train in a sprawling transit line that opened just last year. The accident cast new scrutiny on the safety record of China’s rapidly modernizing mass transit rail systems.

The state-run news media reported that 271 people were injured during the afternoon accident in the Shanghai Metro system. Xinhua, the official news agency, said that equipment failure was believed to be responsible and that the accident was under investigation.

No deaths were reported, but the government said late Tuesday that about 20 people had serious injuries that were not considered life threatening. Images from the crash site posted on blogs and social networking sites showed some people bloodied and badly injured.

The accident came just two months after a deadly crash involving two trains on China’s high-speed rail network for which officials blamed bad weather and a signal failure. The July 23 crash in the eastern city of Wenzhou killed 40 people and injured nearly 200.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/world/asia/shanghai-subway-accident-injures-hundreds.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f6V6Z9MqNs&list=LLyBS4xU2Gwjy9Ql0Zi6owtw&index=21this is the most i can find on there subway or metro lines its a good video of both railroads and the metro together, and for that person who ask why im comparing rails with subways im not, im saying for both railroads and the metros for the US, we dont seem to be able too get any of them too look as good and work as good as other counties. we have systems that are at least 20 years behind most other counties even china is oassed us with them announcing this year that they are working on a high speed rail system that would streach from LA too the east coast of the us and back. so what i asked was why cant we do that here in the states

Do people not understand the difference between a rail system and a subway?

Are people just that crazy? Jesus

i never said a rail system is the same as a subway. for some reason people took it that way. i asked why cant we have a rail system and or subway system like other places? idk what happened but lets move on from there

i never said a rail system is the same as a subway. for some reason people took it that way. i asked why cant we have a rail system and or subway system like other places? idk what happened but lets move on from there

Out of curiosity, specifically what are the things in our system would you like to see improve?

Out of curiosity, specifically what are the things in our system would you like to see improve?
wow its what people in this city want too change really. i mean i want some changes more money into technology something like the countdown clocks and PA/CIS we have now we are doing over the platforms over but we can do better, and hey ask around this city have the worst system doing rush hours and from what i hear from my cousin that live in Okinawa Japan she said they never have a delay at all and if they do they give you all the info you need. we in the country when it comes too railways are just standing still, only one area have high speed trains, the NEC thats it, we need too spread that all over this country but when Obama gave money too them states like Florida and Nevada and California they all gave it back and said no high speed trains. so i wanna know why not

wow its what people in this city want too change really. i mean i want some changes more money into technology something like the countdown clocks and PA/CIS we have now we are doing over the platforms over but we can do better, and hey ask around this city have the worst system doing rush hours and from what i hear from my cousin that live in Okinawa Japan she said they never have a delay at all and if they do they give you all the info you need. we in the country when it comes too railways are just standing still, only one area have high speed trains, the NEC thats it, we need too spread that all over this country but when Obama gave money too them states like Florida and Nevada and California they all gave it back and said no high speed trains. so i wanna know why not

Not picking sides here, but yes, one thing I've noticed about the rail system in Asia is that they don't play around when it comes schedule. Being ten seconds late is a big deal to operators. Just look at this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1HhJM7EkM

Not picking sides here, but yes, one thing I've noticed about the rail system in Asia is that they don't play around when it comes schedule. Being ten seconds late is a big deal to operators. Just look at this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1HhJM7EkM

dam if that was in english lol i see how they are. they are very elegant. thats what my cousin told me she said there in Japan say it like this. in the US we is me and in Japan me is US. meaning they care about eachother not just them self. thats why they can get stuff done and we just cant do it at all.

dam if that was in english lol i see how they are. they are very elegant. thats what my cousin told me she said there in Japan say it like this. in the US we is me and in Japan me is US. meaning they care about eachother not just them self. thats why they can get stuff done and we just cant do it at all.

Interesting... Their operators seem so professional. Just by their hand gestures and posture - almost like robots. Thou don't get me wrong, I really like the laid back feel to our operators. (Once I remember seeing a t/o on the (J) with his foot elevated, rested somewhere near the control console.)

I read this whole thread and was shocked to see that no one actually gave the REAL reason why this will never happen...

This is AMERICA, not JAPAN!

Sure, Japan has their bullet trains, their Kung Pow Woo, and etc whatever else they wanna call it, but that's more than likely because they NEEDED to do all that...

Whereas here in America, sure a system like that would be great, but 2 things are holding that back

1. Where will all this magical money come from, and why spend it if...

2. The need for this kind of service is not great outside of the Coast Lines (east and west).

Think about it, how many people would ride a High speed train from NY to LA, or Florida to Wyoming? Not I, said the cat! That would be the biggest wast of money on everyone's part if money were wasted like that! Japan, on the other hand (as well as China and a majority of Europe) tends to have travelers headed in every direction, which led to them conducting studies for these type of lines in the first place.

What, you thought someone just woke up and said "Lets build high speed trains and be high tech?" HECK NO! This stuff takes time AND money!

Don't get me wrong people, I'm all for high speed trains myself, but I wouldn't say well hey, Japan did it, so why don't we, cause the answer is OBVIOUS!

Your being ignorant and ignoring the facts about China and there Construction history which is riddled with cutting corners. Japan and Korea and Singapore have some the highest safety standards in the world. Accidents those countries are pretty rare...

The Northeastern Megapolis will be = to Japan by 2050 in terms of population and density...most of the population growth will be from NYC to DC will an explosion around Philly. The Philly , Allentown , Reading and Harrisburg metros should slowly merge into one giant Metro. Even Delaware and Maine will see Population growth along Railway corridors , current and future..... This region could use a Japanese system , the current setup is too broken and doesn't provide through commuter rail service , unlike Philly which is prepared and can handle the added ridership....

1990 Population : 43 Million

2000 Population : 49 Million

2010 Population : 53 Million

2025 Population : 58 Million

2030 Population : 65 Million

2040 Population : 70 Million

2050 Population : 85 Million

2010 Transit Daily Usage : 20.4 Million

2020 Transit Daily Usage : 35 Million

2050 Transit Daily Usage : 50 Million

UrbanLand_Page_1.jpg

UrbanLand_Page_3.jpg

UrbanLand_Page_6.jpg

I read this whole thread and was shocked to see that no one actually gave the REAL reason why this will never happen...

This is AMERICA, not JAPAN!

Sure, Japan has their bullet trains, their Kung Pow Woo, and etc whatever else they wanna call it, but that's more than likely because they NEEDED to do all that...

Whereas here in America, sure a system like that would be great, but 2 things are holding that back

1. Where will all this magical money come from, and why spend it if...

2. The need for this kind of service is not great outside of the Coast Lines (east and west).

Think about it, how many people would ride a High speed train from NY to LA, or Florida to Wyoming? Not I, said the cat! That would be the biggest wast of money on everyone's part if money were wasted like that! Japan, on the other hand (as well as China and a majority of Europe) tends to have travelers headed in every direction, which led to them conducting studies for these type of lines in the first place.

What, you thought someone just woke up and said "Lets build high speed trains and be high tech?" HECK NO! This stuff takes time AND money!

Don't get me wrong people, I'm all for high speed trains myself, but I wouldn't say well hey, Japan did it, so why don't we, cause the answer is OBVIOUS!

i dont think it would be a waist of time or money here in the US, we have the Acela and that runs from boston too florida, they did a pol not too long ago and asked if we had a better faster way too get from anywhere to anywhere by train would they like it more than 80% said they would love it. its faster than going by plan no long waits on lines people said it would be a great thing if we had it but we cant work together to do anything here in this place just like i said before people here care only about what they want not what is best for the hole, and that is sad., we need too start looking to the future and do the new things not hold back and let other counties pass us by in every way, what happened to us being the leader in technology, smh i guess we gave that up years ago when Singapore and China and Japan just moved forward. i guess thats why we have like the worst schools, we are in 29th place in math 35th in science and like 50th in history smh we are falling behind even Obama said that and no one cares.

and we have a better system of freeways compared to those places
no we dont! where did you hear that? we have highways that are over crowded and in need of serious repair. they have been saying that for years now. the bridges are falling apart and are in need of repair they just said that a few days ago even President Obama said that and he is rite they in Europe have a high way with no speed limit and it haves the best safety record we dont have anything like that here so dont say we have the best in any highways here because we are no where near them. did any of you see the new bridges they are building in Japan and China? that are so long its un known how they did it. we dont have that here. and not too be to hard on the people that lost there life in that bridge that fell a few years ago but i never heard of any country having that happen before/

Archived