U.S. Far Behind China, Japan, and France

CenSin

Maybe high speed rail in the US could have a 6 track configuration. 2 local tracks, 2 express tracks, and 2 super express tracks.

for that only in metropolitan areas like NE and west coast however this could work for metro areas though. This way intercity trains can become super express in metro areas and have an outer station to transfer to commuter rail for local stops. But if the stations are far apart then this configuration would be overkill.

Maybe high speed rail in the US could have a 6 track configuration. 2 local tracks, 2 express tracks, and 2 super express tracks.

This would be pretty similar to how express routes start and end at 2 or 3-tracked lines while local routes start and end somewhere within. For example, the (A) and (C) trains are like this. The extra pair of tracks would would parallel a major corridor with one or two stops for transfer opportunities and then continue out of the city into another.

I don't see how this will work without some major cooperation between cities and states, however.

This would be pretty similar to how express routes start and end at 2 or 3-tracked lines while local routes start and end somewhere within. For example, the (A) and (C) trains are like this. The extra pair of tracks would would parallel a major corridor with one or two stops for transfer opportunities and then continue out of the city into another.

I don't see how this will work without some major cooperation between cities and states, however.

It would allow states to get more funding however as the money gets put to better use.

This is how most national rail systems operate BUT AMTRAK= EPIC FAILURE

Don't know if it was mentioned yet but China lacks safety.. so while they have the fastest trains hundreds of people die every time one of their trains crash, and every time their is a power outage they're stuck in the hot trains for hours with limited amounts of food.

In Montreal the last death was in the 70's when a Metro conductor entered the terminal to fast and his accelerator got stuck, he was stuck in his cabin and burned to death.

Meanwhile in China...

Chinese-rail-crash-007.jpg

I think I found the perfect movie for you, The Last Chase, it's about an america where public transit rules and cars are relics of the past. of course the government is a totalitary regime, but it would need to be since that's about the only way your ideas will even get built.

I for one would rather sit in traffic in a free society, than be forced to take a high speed train in a totalitarian regime.

I for one would rather sit in traffic in a free society, than be forced to take a high speed train in a totalitarian regime.

I agree and disagree I agree I prefer free society since sometimes the car is the only option BUT I DISAGREE CAUSE I WILL NOT SIT IN TRAFFIC FOR HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't have that kind of patience.

Show me a national rail system anything like Amtrak. the only comparison is VIA, and they're about as bad.

I think I found the perfect movie for you, The Last Chase, it's about an america where public transit rules and cars are relics of the past. of course the government is a totalitary regime, but it would need to be since that's about the only way your ideas will even get built. (and for the record, it considered "bad" enough it was one of the first films Mystery Science Theater 3000 riffed).

matter of fact, here it is, whole thing (the producers of MST3K encourage file sharing. "Keep circulating the tapes" ends the credits of all episodes).

what do you mean by bad ya mean horrid service the system is so bad ppl don't wanna use it and the intercity bus dominates the intercity transit industry!!!!! With no real competition. Good film though.

Don't know if it was mentioned yet but China lacks safety.. so while they have the fastest trains hundreds of people die every time one of their trains crash, and every time their is a power outage they're stuck in the hot trains for hours with limited amounts of food.

In Montreal the last death was in the 70's when a Metro conductor entered the terminal to fast and his accelerator got stuck, he was stuck in his cabin and burned to death.

Meanwhile in China...

Chinese-rail-crash-007.jpg

true I think HSR should come to US but it should be very different from china's system in nature. The layout of US requires a different approach to operating a national rail network we will never be exactly like europe or asia due to our shape and density but that is no excuse for the level of FAIL amtrak provides.

If HSR is to work here then it has to be strategically planned in phase 1 metro areas and linking them together phase 2 linking smaller areas to the system and timing with intercity bus and consolidating rural lines into intercity bus rtes so regions coordinate better and share costs. allow more flexible funding for intercity bus and rail. Phase 3 linking to airports for long distance travel running mixed trains to reduce cost of operating and reduce conflicting with freight traffic and delays. Use smaller size trains for moderate ridership corridors. PRT for the short haul rail corridors that can feed the main lines and use for low capacity the PRT will be demand style like morgantown,WV but structured differently to create connections that aren't direct to maximize usefulness of intercity and other transit networks sometimes buses can't get to rail directly. Sometimes you have to run when ppl want that is what PRT can do. More autotrain lines BUT they must be high speed ultra speed so ppl can drive in store their vehicle hop on the train bolt to another major city fast by the park and rides so they can access many areas transit can't. Besides it was amtrak's highest grossing long distance train.

Do you all really believe a train could travel cross country for hours on end without breakdowns in between?

Well like I said it has to be done strategically heck maybe by corridor linkage or consolidation. You raise a good point though If going cross country you should be in a plane. To tell the truth PRT is cheaper to operate than buses!!!!!! And can eventually if done right can replace certain bus rtes rural or intercity. It would reach places ppl go to. But the stops in between for a long distance I'd try to consolidate ridership groups rural to rural and rural to major city and city to rural and rural to airport. Or nearby city to nearby city structure it into a merger of corridors and link as many cities in between. Maybe in one of the cities ppl should switch trains to reduce chances of breakdown. Again shorter trains for weaker corridors.

thx for making this interesting

Archived