MTA gets $113 million boost in federal funds for new buses, command center

CPBO

MTA gets $113 million boost in federal funds for new buses, command center

By Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Monday, October 17th 2011, 6:30 PM

DelMundo for News

The MTA is getting some much-needed funds for buses, the Obama administration announced.

The cash-strapped MTA is getting more than $113 million in federal money for new buses, a command center and other system improvements, the Obama administration announced Monday.

Slightly more than 31% of buses in the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's fleet are at least 12 years old - and mechanical breakdowns are on the rise, authority documents show.

The MTA will use a significant portion of the federal grant money to buy 112 new buses and retire some of the older coaches, MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said.

"This is welcome new funding and is a much needed investment that will go a long way toward updating our equipment and bus fleet," MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said. "It will help improve service and reliability for our customers," Ortiz said.

Overall, the federal government is distributing $930 million in grants for 300 public transportation projects across the country, U.S. Secretary Ray LaHood and Federal Transit Administrator Peter Rogoff said.

"Investing in America's transit systems, rails, roads, ports, and airports will generate tens of thousands of construction-related jobs and put more money in the pockets of working Americans," LaHood said.

The Obama administration could do much more "if Congress ever gets its act together and passes the Americans Job Act," LaHood told reporters during a conference telephone call.

The provisions of the Jobs Act, which is stalled in Congress, include cutting payroll taxes for most businesses and allocating $50 billion for road, rail and airport projects.

The new MTA bus command center will include an improved radio system for dispatchers and drivers, officials said. The current and antiquated system crashed during last winter's blizzard when hundreds of buses became stuck on the streets.

Approximately 2,000 of the MTA's fleet of more than 10,000 buses are more than a dozen years old. NYC Transit division buses traveled on average 3,377 miles before breaking down last summer - compared to 13% fewer than the year before, according to agency statistics.

The MTA's is borrowing about $7 billion to fill a gap in its five-year capital plan, which encompasses equipment purchases and construction.

It would be a welcome change from the radio we got now.....

It would also be nice if they could upgrade the speakers on the buses. Nothing but pure static. They need to make all announcements automated because it doesn't matter how loud the B/Os turn up the volume, the announcements are all garbled and full of static so we can't hear a thing. The only thing I get out of it is a huge headache. I feel for you guys even more because you actually need to be able to hear what is being said more than we do.

Nice life we live in isn't?...

On a different note I wonder if they're going to also use what's left of this money to add funding for the second ave subway project.

Second ave subway is already paid for. If any of this money goes down their, it would be for some serious cost overruns.

It would be a welcome change from the radio we got now.....

I can hear all of the MTA Bus frequencies clearly on my scanner at home, but you being on a moving bus have to deal with issues such as interference, etc.

It's the NYCT bus radio frequencies that are hard to listen to, at one time

I even thought about upgrading to a digital scanner radio($500.00) but there is nothing wrong with my analog scanner(Uniden BC346XT)($219.00).

So is this money to pay for more new buses or the ones currently on order?

The buses on order are pretty much taken care of. It's all the new ones that are next to be ordered that are not.

Actually over 7,000... including MTAB

Less than that.

I really hope the MTA sends some new buses to Spring Creek , I'm tired of dispatcher B.Sing about that there's no hybrid so take an Orion

Spring Creeks entire local fleet will be replaced with new CNG's.

Last time I counted, it was around 6200 if you count the 300 or so from LIB

:tup:

Looks like a early retirement for the Orion V and the RTS :cry:

The retirement schedule for buses has not changed.

I really hope the MTA sends some new buses to Spring Creek , I'm tired of dispatcher B.Sing about that there's no hybrid so take an Orion

Since your a B/O at SC, do you know why they don't run those C40LFs y'all have in service? You know those LF buses numbered in the 8xx and 9xx series.

Archived