DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

June 13th 2008

Flabber-gas-ted!

[float=right]amd_gas-shock.jpg

Costanza for News

"This is robbery," says Juan Fernandez of

gas price at Mobil station on 10th Ave. at

W. 30th St.

[/float]The price of fuel at some city pumps soared above $5 a gallon Thursday, leaving beleaguered drivers like Angel Villnueva of the Bronx fretting over how high it might go.

"What are you doing?" Villnueva screamed at an attendant changing the price of full-service supreme to $5.09 a gallon on the sign in front of the Mobil station at W. 30th St. and 11th Ave. in Manhattan.

"It's tougher when you see it being done in your face," said the 31-year-old auto mechanic. "They're supposed to change prices weekly, right? Not every day."

When Brooklyn bartender Max Gardener, 24, noticed the lofty price for full-service supreme, he got back into his car and swung it around to the self-serve side.

"I'm pumping my own," Gardener said. "I won't be surprised to see $5 on this side soon." The price for regular statewide has climbed to an average of $4.22 a gallon, AAA said.

In the city, regular was going for as high as $4.70 a gallon at the Lukoil station on Bruckner Blvd. in the Bronx, according to the Web site Newyorkgasprices.com.

"This is an exaggeration!" said taxi driver Jean Edwards, 45, staring in disbelief at the $5.09-a-gallon price for full-service supreme at the Mobil station on W. 14th St. and 10th Ave.

"You don't make money anymore," the cabbie griped. "And you can't raise the prices on customers. It's illegal. It's too much."

Pointing to her 2006 Subaru, Isabel Rubio, 51, said, "This has to go."

"We have to go green," said Rubio, as she fueled her car. "It's not just gas prices. It affects all other prices - food, milk, everything - and makes it harder to get by."

Restaurant waiter Nick Watson, 26, of Queens bought a Kawasaki motorcycle to cope with the gas crisis.

"It used to be $5, then $6, then $7 to fill the tank," Watson said as he filled up at the W. 14th St. Mobil. "Now it's $8.43, but it still beats driving a car."

Meanwhile, Exxon Mobil Corp., which earned nearly $41 billion last year, announced plans Thursday to sell its 2,200 company-owned gas stations, saying they aren't profitable enough.

I am shocked and disgusted that our government has done NOTHING to fix this issue.

- Andy

And making it worse, neither of the two presidential candidates (Obama and McCain) are willing to drill in Alaska to increase our oil supply and relieve our dependence on foreign Arab oil.

It's the environmental lobbyists (and the speculating investors) who are crippling our economy the most. To make light of it, we're being held hostage by the elk and their ilk.

And making it worse, neither of the two presidential candidates (Obama and McCain) are willing to drill in Alaska to increase our oil supply and relieve our dependence on foreign Arab oil.

It's the environmental lobbyists (and the speculating investors) who are crippling our economy the most. To make light of it, we're being held hostage by the elk and their ilk.

Um, alaska's wildlife refuge (read again if the term WILDLIFE REFUGE doesn't hit you) holds about a year's worth of oil. The issue here is not production vs usage, it's futures pricing in the commodities market. Also, car company resistance to making pure electric or diesel electric cars, also cars that get a minimum of 30 mpg city highway whatever, and laws wrangling in oil companies. Environmental lobbyists keep you from breathing in lethal doses of various industrial off-gassings. If people want to blame "environmentalists" for anything, blame them for saving our quality of life. YOu want to blame people thinking that the way we live is sustainable, when in fact currently we'd need 3 more planets to keep going at our pace. We need to change, not make excuses & try to limp on further till we die.

- Andy

I am shocked and disgusted that our government has done NOTHING to fix this issue.

- Andy

Thats what the goverment is good for is to sit on their asses and do nothing til something inportant kicks in and thats when thye will step in.

I agree completely. But its also car companies too. I'm just hoping any alternative fueled cars or hybrids actually look good since some of these cars are fugly.

So far, the highest (non-diesel) gas price I've seen in the city is $4.95.

Looks like this one just topped it.....

I believe I saw 4.99 at one point.

Archived