how to reach west side of manhattan from far east bronx

TriboroughBridge

Hi, I'm just curious to know, how someone from the far east bronx (i.e. country club, throgs neck) would get access to the #2 train without having to make a million transfers.

Bx40/42 to West Farms Square-E. Tremont Avenue (2)(5) subway station

Bx8 to Williamsbridge closest satation is 225th Street (2) subway station

Bx24 to the Bx12 +SBS+ or local to Pelham Parkway (2) subway station

Where exactly in far East Bronx you @?

Hi, I'm just curious to know, how someone from the far east bronx (i.e. country club, throgs neck) would get access to the #2 train without having to make a million transfers.

I'm assuming the closest train is the 6 If your going to the west side from midtown and points south, then its easy, just transfer at 42 st to 7 or Shuttle.

Going to the upper west side from the 6 train sucks though, its probably the only thing i hate about the 6 line in the bx, it has no transfers until 59th st (not including 4 & 5 i mean transfer to something besides its own Lex ave line)

For the 2 train, depending on your exact starting point, the Bx40/42 to west Farms, If your near the Bruckner interchange the Q44 to west farms too. Or Bx5 to Simpson St.

The Bx8 would take you so far north, far out the way, just to come back down toward Manhattan, thats prob a too roundabout route.

Or just skip the 2 train & take the 6 train to a crosstown bus in Manhattan through Central Pk, (M96, M86, M79, M66 etc)

I'm assuming the closest train is the 6 If your going to the west side from midtown and points south, then its easy, just transfer at 42 st to 7 or Shuttle.

Going to the upper west side from the 6 train sucks though, its probably the only thing i hate about the 6 line in the bx, it has no transfers until 59th st (not including 4 & 5 i mean transfer to something besides its own Lex ave line)

For the 2 train, depending on your exact starting point, the Bx40/42 to west Farms, If your near the Bruckner interchange the Q44 to west farms too. Or Bx5 to Simpson St.

The Bx8 would take you so far north, far out the way, just to come back down toward Manhattan, thats prob a too roundabout route.

Or just skip the 2 train & take the 6 train to a crosstown bus in Manhattan through Central Pk, (M96, M86, M79, M66 etc)

Which was the point of the question, obviously the destination isn't below 59th on the west side. Local stops on the west side and upper Manhattan between 125th and 207th are even harder to reach. Back when I was a tournament director I used to get off at 86th on the east side on a Sunday morning and catch the crosstown bus. The main idea of getting around this city as a resident is to find routes that utilize the subway as much as possible.

Bx24 to the Bx12 +SBS+ or local to Pelham Parkway (2) subway station

Where exactly in far East Bronx you @?

see this is what I was talking about I dont like taking more than one bus.

I like the country club section & hopefully would be able to live there, but as you know there isnt any direct access to the 2 train, just the 6. & there are no transfers from the 6 to a west side train until 59 st.

Well Country Club and Throgs Neck was in those notorious two fare zones in the past (I still call it three fare zones if you include the fact that there are two fare zones elsewhere in the boros). Nothing has changed quite yet about that, but yes the only bus in that neighborhood (and I have looked at some property there as well, and nothing decent under 500k) is just that loop to Pelham Bay. There was a thread I forgot if it was here or over in Strap about a possible bus route up Baychester Av. If they took that loop bus and ran it up Baychester to 241st (bypass Co-op entirely), at least the area could get some sort of semi-direct access to the west side through the (5). I always disliked the idea that there wasn't a service going over the Throgs Neck to make an attempt to connect Jamaica to Pelham (since the Q50 only goes to Main St).

see this is what I was talking about I dont like taking more than one bus.

I like the country club section & hopefully would be able to live there, but as you know there isnt any direct access to the 2 train, just the 6. & there are no transfers from the 6 to a west side train until 59 st.

This is why the BX12+SBS was created to allow a proper connection between all of the IRT/IND Subway lines that goes up and down. (While there are other reasons as well).

I dont even live near the Pelham Line and im on the IRT WPR End and if I needed the (6) or any routes in the Bronx I'd be taking the Crosstown Buses instead.

So far the best you got if your around Pelham Bay Park area is the BX12SBS which is like a 8-10Min ride to the (2).

You can also take the (6) and connect with a Crosstown Bus in Manhattan that I'll Link to you to the (2) or the Westside.. Another is taking the (6) to Hunts Point and walk up 2 blocks on Southern Blvd for the (2)/(5) at Simpson (even tho u would be paying extra).

Be glad that you have some service around you, people down in Throgs Neck have no option for trains except using a MaBSTOA Bus route that connects them to the Pelham IRT or other routes or an Express bus to Manhattan.

As someone had mentioned earlier, you do have the option of using an express bus, and then switch over using a local bus to the Upper West Side.

If he wants to pay 5.50 for an Express Bus on the BxM8 at Country Club Rd/I278, + 2.25 for subway/local bus. Now if he has the Express Bus Unlimited pass then he's good to go!

Well Country Club and Throgs Neck was in those notorious two fare zones in the past (I still call it three fare zones if you include the fact that there are two fare zones elsewhere in the boros). Nothing has changed quite yet about that, but yes the only bus in that neighborhood (and I have looked at some property there as well, and nothing decent under 500k) is just that loop to Pelham Bay. There was a thread I forgot if it was here or over in Strap about a possible bus route up Baychester Av. If they took that loop bus and ran it up Baychester to 241st (bypass Co-op entirely), at least the area could get some sort of semi-direct access to the west side through the (5). I always disliked the idea that there wasn't a service going over the Throgs Neck to make an attempt to connect Jamaica to Pelham (since the Q50 only goes to Main St).

Wait, why do you call it a 3-fare zone? It's only one bus to get to the subway.

If he wants to pay 5.50 for an Express Bus on the BxM8 at Country Club Rd/I278, + 2.25 for subway/local bus. Now if he has the Express Bus Unlimited pass then he's good to go!

An express bus->local bus transfer is free (as is an express bus->express bus transfer). A local bus->express bus transfer costs $3.25.

I look at total trip (a unique concept), not amount of fares spent to get to a subway line. The original concept was based upon pre-metrocard days. Now it is a true two fare zone to get to certain parts of the city (and a three fare zone back then). It will take two fares to get to any part of the city that is in the same predicament (like far eastern Queens and southeast Brooklyn). I was always one who advocated a third free transfer to certain bus lines within that time limit.

Archived