FBI To Probe Wayne County Severance Deal

East New York

As "Occupy Wall Street" goes global, Detroiters are jumping on the bandwagon, and may get a little help from the Feds.

NBC Local 4 DETROIT -- The FBI is investigating a $200,000 severance deal given to former Wayne County development director Turkia Mullins.

Michigan Attorney General spokesman John Sellek confirms Tuesday that the FBI is looking into the deal.

Sellek said Attorney General Bill Schuette "has full faith in the FBI to conduct a thorough investigation."

Mullins received the payout after leaving her old job to takeover as chief executive of Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The county owns the airport in Romulus, 10 miles west of Detroit.

Her new job pays $250,000.

Wayne County faces a $160 million accumulated budget deficit.

Mullins originally said she would not return the money, but changed her mind following a call with County Executive Robert Ficano.

"I welcome the opportunity to clear up the misinformation that has been out in the media for weeks and put this issue to rest once and for all. My administration and I will cooperate fully and expect to be fully exonerated," Ficano said in a statement.

Wayne County Commission Chair Gary Woronchak said he welcomes the idea of an independent agency looking over the situation.

"I'd like to get on with the business of Wayne County, the government and taking care of the people of Wayne County that we need to be taking care of," Woronchak said. "If the FBI wants to look into things and help us clear everything up here, that's fine with me."

See the full story at ClickonDetroit.com

In addition to investigating the county, the Feds need to investigate the Detroit DOT, and PD.

Neither of them are every anywhere to be found when they need to be. Having a fleet of 449 buses, only 206 are in service, and one was involved in a crash tonight. Detroit used to be the 10th largest city prior to mas migration and murder. But how do you successfully run a large city with only 500 buses, and an elevated light rail that goes in a loop downtown, and only costs $.50???

Think a 911 recording of a message that tells you "No one is available to take your call" only happens in the movies????

How about having a crime lab so poor in quality and technology that it makes an episode of Law & Order SVU, and Michigan State Police have come in to take it over. (I feel sorry for those guys!)

Or how about using Federal dollars for new handicap accessible ramps at street corners in abandoned neighborhoods??? Could you at least fix the light on the street corner and tear down the burned out houses and buildings first???

And that's only the beginning!

Detroit is such a mess. What a pity. Unfortunately, even an infusion of cash would not be enough to fix it. The basic lines of government services and community have broken down.

On the plus side, the car companies located there are doing better, so that is something. Not much, since most factories are in Mexico, but it is something,

The problem with Detroit is that it relied to much on the one industry(cars),that why Detroit is such a mess. they should have explode other industry's.

You have to realize that many cities rely on one particular industry. That's why so many cities are in the red now. Detroit is far from the only one.

Archived