Linden Shops lead track at Junius Street

sovetskii52

Has anyone ever seen a train run along the track connecting the Linden Shops to the IRT Livonia Avenue Line at Junius Street? I know that it has no 3rd rail, limiting access to diesel-powered trains only. I would really like to see some pictures, or videos of a diesel-powered train using that track. Anyone ever seen that? Just interested.

I believe the Linden Shops primarily produce tracks and ties, or something like that. I guess the best chance to see a train passing on the yard leads would be when there's rail raplacement projects going on and the train is carrying the rails and ties.

I believe the Linden Shops primarily produce tracks and ties, or something like that. I guess the best chance to see a train passing on the yard leads would be when there's rail raplacement projects going on and the train is carrying the rails and ties.

I've also seen old axles stacked up there. Wonder what they do with them...

I used to watch the R142's come up the lead being towed to E180th St yard when they were delivered. I've also watched the CWR(continuous welded rail) train make that steep climb up the lead to the IRT. BTW, the axles and rails seen under the yard leads are actually located in a storage facility. The Linden Shop itself is located out of sight from the Junius and Livonia stations. The shop is located on Linden Blvd between Mother Gaston Blvd and Rockaway Ave adjacent to the Bay Ridge branch railroad tracks.

Okay, thanks for the info. 1 more question: The yard lead track does get used from time-to-time, right? When the MTA is replacing tracks, and track accessories. It's not abandoned, or only for the LIRR.

Nope, it's not abandoned, though it's not used frequently, and the LIRR freight is not exactly common.

Now trains can come up the lead (doing a move or something), and I've seen cars sitting on the lead. But actually using the lead and going all the way into Junius middle and on into the IRT or the opposite direction I have only seen once as a c/r, and never as a tw/o (including working the tower that controls that switch).

Do you think you might be able to snap a few pictures, or record a video of the VakTrak using that track? If not, that's okay.

That area is covered behind trees and such so I would only see the top headlights of it...basically, I would hear it more than I would actually see it

You best bet is to figure out when it comes up the lead and to go out to Junius at night to film it. Problem is its not a safe area by any stretch of the imagination, and is quite possibly in the worse neighborhood served by subway in the system (only a handful of stations/neighborhoods compare). Also, its a very desolate station, with generally less ridership than the stations around it. As a c/r I basically opened and closed the doors there, no announcement or nothing. Nobody got on, nobody got off except for a cop or two.

I went there for the first time yesterday, at day. It's pretty desolate. I'll post a few pictures and videos in another thread within a day or two. I imagined the lead from Canarsie was about level with the main Canarsie tracks, but it looks like they rise to meet the New Lots track.

I went there for the first time yesterday, at day. It's pretty desolate. I'll post a few pictures and videos in another thread within a day or two. I imagined the lead from Canarsie was about level with the main Canarsie tracks, but it looks like they rise to meet the New Lots track.

I was there a month ago on the (L), and it looks like parts of it were newly built (within the past decade).

I wonder if the MTA ever puts Subway or Light Rail service on the Bay Ridge Branch, if they would use that connection to bring trains to the CI or 207th St Overhaul shops when they need work?

If they do the latter, they would probably have to tow it with a Diesel engine on that connection and though the system. The former they could always add 3rd rail on there.

I really hope the MTA has plans to put Transit Service on the BR Branch once the current Capital Projects (SAS Phase 1, ESA, West Side (7) ext, Fulton Street Transit Center, etc) are done.

It would make more sense for Light Rail, so the NYA Freights can still use the route at night, with subway, NYA would probably get the boot. B)

Archived