So how about that Brighton Exp?

Urbanfortitude

It's great and I enjoy it, especially with the R68As on the express. ;)

Although I've ridden the R40 slant and the R40M before I've never had a railfan window experience on the Brighton line at all. Maybe I'd feel different about the Brighton line and the old cars if I had thought of looking out of the RFW.

Brighton Express Service is doing fine :cool:

The 68s and 68As haul nicely over the stretches between stations and its a very smooth ride.. And yes, I will agree, I do miss the slants, the Mods, and the 42s on the (;), or <Q>, or (Q6Av) lol

Zach

Agreed. It's hard to choose which run between two stations are the best. That's the Brighton for ya.

BTW, trains seem to bounce hell of a lot approaching Prospect Park n/b - I like.

Manhattan bound in the mornings.... not all that happy with it, to be honest....

While heading to work on 3 separate occasions b/w {this past week} & {the week before that}, there's been a (;) & a (Q) train arriving at the station (church av) at the same time... I get on the B.... 2 of the 3 times the B leaves church av first... the other time, the Q left church first....

all 3 times, the B train stalled at parkside... and the initial Q leaves parkside first (with the B train still stalled).... meaning, it got to prospect park first....

^^ 2 of the 3 times, a SECOND Q train creeps up & leaves parkside before we start to move... The other time, THREE god damned Q trains leave parkside before we move..... THREE.

Makes me feel like I made the right decision in starting to take the express bus TO work now....

It's like, fine, I get it... Q trains have "priority"... but in multiples? wtf @ that.

Are (B) trains leaving that early... are (Q) trains that damn late... or is this really how it's gonna be from now on?

....because if that's the case, I'll start takin the damn bus 5 days a week... simply because I refuse to consider takin the IRT (2 to the 1) again.....

Manhattan bound in the mornings.... not all that happy with it, to be honest....

While heading to work on 3 separate occasions b/w {this past week} & {the week before that}, there's been a (;) & a (Q) train arriving at the station (church av) at the same time... I get on the B.... 2 of the 3 times the B leaves church av first... the other time, the Q left church first....

all 3 times, the B train stalled at parkside... and the initial Q leaves parkside first (with the B train still stalled).... meaning, it got to prospect park first....

^^ 2 of the 3 times, a SECOND Q train creeps up & leaves parkside before we start to move... The other time, THREE god damned Q trains leave parkside before we move..... THREE.

Makes me feel like I made the right decision in starting to take the express bus TO work now....

It's like, fine, I get it... Q trains have "priority"... but in multiples? wtf @ that.

Are (B) trains leaving that early... are (Q) trains that damn late... or is this really how it's gonna be from now on?

....because if that's the case, I'll start takin the damn bus 5 days a week... simply because I refuse to consider takin the IRT (2 to the 1) again.....

lol... I gave up on the Brighton line a while ago with all of the construction, etc. BM3 is the way to go.

In your situation I would take the (Q) every day.

I do not like the Brighton Express at all. Doesn't cut time, and the (Q) bunches together or separates far apart (especially towards C.I.)

That does seem to be the case. I took the (;) to Brighton from manhattan...it flew through the express run. But the only (Q) train I saw started to leave as soon as i started up the coney island bound stairs. (B) train switched tracks to terminate so I lost all that time I had gained because I had to wait for the next (Q)

I do not like the Brighton Express at all. Doesn't cut time, and the (Q) bunches together or separates far apart (especially towards C.I.)

That does seem to be the case. I took the (;) to Brighton from manhattan...it flew through the express run. But the only (Q) train I saw started to leave as soon as i started up the coney island bound stairs. (B) train switched tracks to terminate so I lost all that time I had gained because I had to wait for the next (Q)

Many people think the Brighton saves so much time they can get on a (Q) at CI/West 8/Ocean Pkwy, transfer to the (B) at Brighton or Sheepshead (if the next (B) is on track 3) and hope to catch the (Q) in front of it (as you can the IRT services, if you get on during weekday service). The (B) saves a decent amount of time if it was the first train you saw anywhere from Dekalb to Prospect, AND your destination is Sheepshead Bay/Brighton or Kings Highway (Newkirk is a stretch even). Going into Manhattan, its if you need 6Av service or your place of origin was Newkirk/Kings Hwy/Sheeps/Brighton. Otherwise, stick to the (Q).

The only time the (B) had priority was when I had it last Wednesday. Me and a (Q) got into Church at the same time. Of course I got priority because the (B)'s were messed up due to switch problems and my (B) leader was 16(!) minutes ahead of me.

Now all we need are some NTTs;)

Eh, the Brighton Express seems the same as when the renovation first began, the same ole' R68s...

It was nice watching n/b 160s take the slope at Ave H via the express tracks, especially during the night - track gap sounds were sick. You don't get the same vibe with the 68s simply because the trucks are more spaced out - not producing the same tone or pattern as the 160s would.

Many people think the Brighton saves so much time they can get on a (Q) at CI/West 8/Ocean Pkwy, transfer to the (;) at Brighton or Sheepshead (if the next (B) is on track 3) and hope to catch the (Q) in front of it (as you can the IRT services, if you get on during weekday service). The (B) saves a decent amount of time if it was the first train you saw anywhere from Dekalb to Prospect, AND your destination is Sheepshead Bay/Brighton or Kings Highway (Newkirk is a stretch even). Going into Manhattan, its if you need 6Av service or your place of origin was Newkirk/Kings Hwy/Sheeps/Brighton. Otherwise, stick to the (Q).

The only time the (B) had priority was when I had it last Wednesday. Me and a (Q) got into Church at the same time. Of course I got priority because the (B)'s were messed up due to switch problems and my (B) leader was 16(!) minutes ahead of me.

So the new rule is (Q) gets to to Prospect Park first regardless of whether the (B) or (Q) leave Church Ave first?

I can only speak about my intervals, not the ones others on here see when they're riding. Ive only been on the (;) three times since the express came back, and only twice was me and a (Q) at Church at the same time. One time, the (Q) went first, the other time I did; but the time I went first there were delays and headways on the (B) were 15 mins. I was supposed to be a 2118, the train that supposed to be the 2108 arrived at 2113, the train I was supposed to bring up arrived at 2130 (as most of you know if you did any research at all, there is no such thing as a 9:32 (B) leaving Brighton going uptown). Its possible I went first because there's been no (B) going uptown in almost 20 mins, and I had to give every tower on the way up my call letters.

I was going to Manhattan a few days after the Brighton Express came back. I decided to take the (Q) to Kings Highway from Coney Island to get the (:P. I took a peek down the tracks and saw no (:P coming. And for the rest of the ride up the Brighton Line, I saw no (B) in sight. The (Q) made it from Coney Island to Prospect Park without ever being overtaken by an express train. There were a lot of (B)s going towards Brighton Beach along the way though.

When I lived back in Sheepshead Bay and had to go to the city, I RARELY caught a (:P train. The (Q)s are far more frequent than the (B)s, but so much more frequent that it makes waiting for the (:P a waste because they seem to come whenever and take forever for some reason. Sometimes I would wait for a (B) if I thought one would come quickly, but most of the time I gambled and lost. It seems like the (B) should be so much more quicker, but it really isn't. I personally think the frequencies should be increased on the (B). Maybe part of the reason that they're so problematic is because they tend to have older cars? Whatever it is I think it is one of the worst trains in the system. The worse train by far though is the (G). The headways are ridiculous! :mad:

Archived