City Threatend to Shut Down B110 Bus for Segregate Passengers

FamousNYLover

While I was using PIX11 to search school bus, I found this article.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-bus-company-seats-women-at-back,0,2218263.story

I not sure if B110 bus goes here or Regional Transit forum.

Is this article true that women have to seat on rear of bus?

Yes, Orthodox Jewish tradition holds that, in public, a man must not even see a woman, for fear of temptation. Therefore, women must walk down the street behind their husbands and sit on the bus behind the men. (And yes, the men shown in Channel 11's report were "sinning" by talking to the female reporter. They clearly wanted to educate the general public about their beliefs, but it was still a sin for them and they probably atoned for it later.) At the same time, the route is franchised as a "public accommodation" and thus must be open to everybody with absolutely NO restrictions.

The only legal way Private Transportation can enforce separation is to give up the franchise and run the B110 as a pure charter or subscription service.

This is a PUBLIC route and I don't think it's right for them to run the route THEIR way. Is this true for Monesy Trails?

I say give the route to Spring Creek! After all, they got the B100 and B103. This COULD be good for the MTA.

The Orthodox will boycott any non-Jewish B110 operator if the franchise is pulled. It is also up for debate as to whether a subscription B110 would be harassed by the city.

seriously if its that much of a problem don't use the B110 then. I don't believe its even on the MTA bus map. There's plenty of routes you can sit next to your mamma, sister, or girlfriend on in Brooklyn. This bus route is set up specifically for the orthodox jewish community.

Reading / Hearing this makes me feel like this was a Rosa Park incident...

I never been on the B110 bus route but i gotta say.. If they contacted with the city to run this route then you are to ALLOW the public to ride regardless if your NOT Jewish Im not Jewish so pretty much I don't have to follow what rules goes on except the top dog, which is the city (bus related).

If they don't like women sitting in the front then just don't ride the route, simple.. And let the city do what its gotta do.

The bus has been under contract since the 70's and this is the first time there has been a problem?? That sounds fishy

I guess because Jewish people ride them. Idk if theres ever been ridership by regular people before except the lady the complained.

Reading / Hearing this makes me feel like this was a Rosa Park incident...

I never been on the B110 bus route but i gotta say.. If they contacted with the city to run this route then you are to ALLOW the public to ride regardless if your NOT Jewish Im not Jewish so pretty much I don't have to follow what rules goes on except the top dog, which is the city (bus related).

If they don't like women sitting in the front then just don't ride the route, simple.. And let the city do what its gotta do.

I guess because Jewish people ride them. Idk if theres ever been ridership by regular people before except the lady the complained.

I never been on B110 bus either.

Speaking of segregation, little off-topic, last week or week before I think it was weekday, we had Rosa Park style pick up on N4 bus.

N4 Freeport was crowded, so B/O open rear door and went back in time at 2 locations along Merrick Rd.

After they paid their fare at farebox, they ran to rear door and after passengers got on, doors closed and rush to next pick up. LOL

The Orthodox will boycott any non-Jewish B110 operator if the franchise is pulled.

So what? Apparently they are making up their OWN rules by shoving women to the rear of the bus. Look, if that's part of their religion...then fine. It would be easier to just make the B110 privately owned and not run by the city. The Orthodox can't sue because it's being funded by the city.

seriously if its that much of a problem don't use the B110 then. I don't believe its even on the MTA bus map. There's plenty of routes you can sit next to your mamma, sister, or girlfriend on in Brooklyn. This bus route is set up specifically for the orthodox jewish community.

The B110 SHOULD be on the latest Brooklyn Bus Map. I know it was on the 1995 Express Bus Map. That route is sick. I never rode and never will. Who knows if someone from another race were to ride that bus.

I never been on B110 bus either.

Speaking of segregation, little off-topic, last week or week before I think it was weekday, we had Rosa Park style pick up on N4 bus.

N4 Freeport was crowded, so B/O open rear door and went back in time at 2 locations along Merrick Rd.

After they paid their fare at farebox, they ran to rear door and after passengers got on, doors closed and rush to next pick up. LOL

That happens more often than you think. It happens sometimes when I take the S46/S96 to school. The B/O lets the people off, and people grab the back door and hold it so they can get on.

People see the opportunity for a free ride, but the main reason is so they can get onto the bus. If they ran to the front and paid, there's the chance the B/O would leave them behind. (A lot of the people doing it are students or people transferring to another route, so the MTA isn't losing a whole lot of money)

But occasionally I have seen people pay and then run to the back, and once I saw the B/O not even open the front door, but he opened the back door so the guy could get in.

Archived