New Jersey Transit Driver Stabbed during "Busjacking"

tvega961

"Wow that's really sad. Not that surprising though since, as a regular rider of the 27, I see crazy shit on that route all the time. All the hilton routes are dangerous as hell, and all their buses should be equipped with 24/7 surveillance cameras and driver shields. I really just hope the B/O is okay.

Also, they updated the news story, to include the identity of the B/O and other details:

"NEWARK (WABC) -- An assailant attacked a NJ Transit bus driver, stabbing him several times before the driver managed to stop the bus and flee.

The incident happened on a number 27 bus on Hawthorne Avenue in Newark.

The victim is identified as 42 year old Ihab Abounaja. According to family members, he was pulling out of Irvington Terminal when he was attacked from behind. Abounaja tried to fend off the attacker while driving.

A witness says she saw the bus swerving as it came down the street.

Abounaja eventually pulled to the side of road, and then ran from the bus. Passengers on the bus also exited and fled.

Abounaja was stabbed 7 times. He suffered a stab wound to the head, to the neck, the arms, hands, back and side. He is now in critical but stable condition at University Medical Center in Newark.

Police have not made any arrests. "

Wow, 42 years old. Smh, What the frick would one of these mindless thugs in Newark look to gain from stabbing a 42 year old man 7 times?! This is absolutely ridiculous."

"Based off of what i always see, some passenger probably got into an argument with the B/O about something..probably not putting in enough fare, driving too slow, or something petty like that. The B/O may have said something the guy didn't like, so the guy attacked the B/O.

Once again, based off of what I always see on routes like the 27, 25, 13, etc..it was probably over some petty argument. So sad that ppl have to try and take others' lives over some dumb ass disagreement."

from what I gather, the poor guy (the b/o I'm talkin about) was just leaving the irvington bus terminal (between nwk-penn, walter rand, and irvington bus terminal, irvington has to be the worst of the three).... If the guy stabbed the driver at that moment, I'm thinking it was over an exchange of words (which may have stemmed from something fare-related).....

regardless of what it was over, this recent trend of attacking bus drivers needs to stop... at this rate, it's gonna get to the point where senior b/o's will start retiring earlier, and prospective/future b/o's will be at a bare minimum....

^^ you have that start happening, and you will see something rather rare in the tri-state area, which is Carjackings, starting to happen....

Sadly wouldn't help if the barrel's straight pointed at your head

Sad but true!

I saw that interview with the B/O....that scene where they show his bloody shirt was extremely upsetting to watch. Especially to find out that there were 12 people on the bus and not ONE person stopped to help the poor guy. F'n disgusting!

I hope the driver will be okay. People need to stop screwing around with NJ Transit. I mean, first drivers are robbed down in S. Jersey on the 400/403/406 lines, second, some idiot fires bullets at RiverLine car for no apparent reason, and now this! I hate seeing bad things happen to innocent NJT employees and passengers. :mad::mad::mad:

• 9 months later...

Nearly a year later: Anything done?

Some of the NABIs in Ironbound are testing out shields and from what I gather there is no push to get fareboxes on the MCIs......as hard as this is to say....it's gonna take an Operator to loose his/her life before something changes.

Some of the NABIs in Ironbound are testing out shields and from what I gather there is no push to get fareboxes on the MCIs......as hard as this is to say....it's gonna take an Operator to loose his/her life before something changes.

But don't most MCIs skip those ghetto bad parts of NJ? Not many are in essex county that are NJT operated

It does not matter where the MCIs are. It's blatantly unsafe for the operators to have the amount of cash the have on them. Guys on the 320 routinely turn over $1000 on a normal day. I could care less about where the bus is being used, crime happens anywhere and having that amount of cash on them enhances the risk they have deal with.

But don't most MCIs skip those ghetto bad parts of NJ? Not many are in essex county that are NJT operated

No, cuz if that was the case, the 161, 171, and 190 buses wouldn't be cash service lines, especially since those lines go through some nasty parts of Paterson. In this case, it was a regular farebox line where the B/O was attacked. So, in some ways, it doesn't make a difference if the line is full service or not.

Archived