Metro North Questions

lilbluefoxie

I have a few questions about the New Haven Line:

- on the Waterbury branch, is it possible to get a photo of the whole train, i know the locomotive sticks out a bit. Is it possible to walk by the END OF BLOCK area and snap a photo, not sure if that's technically off limits or not.

- on the Danbury and Waterbury branches, which end is the locomotive on? I know the upper Hudson line diesels have the locomotive face north. Which paint scheme shows up more often, the MTA one or the Connecticut one?

- on the New Canaan branch, how long are the trains on the weekends? I saw a 5 car set last year at Stamford, was a M4 and a M2. how long is the platform at New Canaan?

- Are there any regular diesel trains that go to New Haven and are not branch line service or to do with Shore Line East?

- on the Danbury and Waterbury branches, which end is the locomotive on? I know the upper Hudson line diesels have the locomotive face north. Which paint scheme shows up more often, the MTA one or the Connecticut one?

The BL20s are pointed North for the Danbury (And i think waterberry)

5:58 (in clip) shows the BL20 pointing North same for 9:00. And ive seen it a few times. They are all NH scheme. I never seen the MTA scheme, thats pretty much used on the Pougk. / Croton Shuttle & Wassaic Shuttle service.

- Are there any regular diesel trains that go to New Haven and are not branch line service or to do with Shore Line East?

For that last one, there is no Genesis or Brookville locomotives providing regular service on the entire MNCR NEC/NHL. On weekdays, the Danbury only out of GCT would be the Genesis and select Genesis making local stops after Mount Vernon would run local to Harrison and end(Non-Branch).

If anything is incorrect, please correct me.

All Danbury trains have the diesels facing north with the following exception: In October, because of "slippery rail" leaf issues north of Branchville, the three car "bombs" that are propelled by BL20's have the engine on the south end. The thought is that the coaches will run over the slippery rail first on the uphill climb after the station. The BL20's *almost* never go to Grand Central since they don't have third rail shoes, so their orientation is not an issue. Come November they will put the engines back on the north end.

• 1 month later...

- on the Waterbury branch, is it possible to get a photo of the whole train, i know the locomotive sticks out a bit. Is it possible to walk by the END OF BLOCK area and snap a photo, not sure if that's technically off limits or not.

- on the New Canaan branch, how long are the trains on the weekends? I saw a 5 car set last year at Stamford, was a M4 and a M2. how long is the platform at New Canaan?

The new canaan platforms aren't long they are short as not all cars open at the platforms others may know more than me

The BL20s are pointed North for the Danbury

For that last one, there is no Genesis or Brookville locomotives providing regular service on the entire MNCR NEC/NHL. On weekdays, the Danbury only out of GCT would be the Genesis and select Genesis making local stops after Mount Vernon would run local to Harrison and end(Non-Branch).

If anything is incorrect, please correct me.

1225 out of New Rochelle is usually a Genesis. I see quite a few in service during AM and PM peak periods.

• 2 weeks later...

+All locomotives face north, with the exception of the Danbury and Waterbury branches during the leaf season and occasionally the ice season.

+Trains on the New Canaan are 5 cars long with a Triplet and a pair. The first and last car are usually closed. During the weekday, they are 5 cars as well, with the exception of one 4 car express from GCT and if the branch gets M8s (which in this case it would be a 6 car train)

+There are 3 Maxi-Bomb (diesel) trains that run up to New Haven on the weekday's only. They are usually the last trains of the night.

Archived