what happens when a catenery gets ripped

tramrunner

God forbid to happen first. But sometimes catenery can be easily ripped in case of strong winds, pantograph failures, etc.

Wehn a current-carrying wire is rippen it can electricute people and cause huge fire. This is what happened a few times in my native city of Odessa, Ukraine with some of their streetcars.

That's why I am interested to know how is catenery is manage to defeat such a threat. I've heared that the automation allows to shut down all the current in the system in case of catenery breakage. How is it realized?

God forbid to happens, but anyway its engineer's job to be prepared and answer all g_d forbids.

There are current monitoring devices along the mains that feed the current to the running lines. If there's sufficient current disturbance the catenary circuit affected is shut down.

- Andy

I am interested both for streetcar lines as in Boston and Philadelphia.

As well as the railway such as NEC. Riding North Jersey Coast I observed lots of places where lihgt turns off in a train.

And would be interested to know how does a disturbance detection circuitry works. I guess it uses electornic and computerized devices along with transducers.

I am interested both for streetcar lines as in Boston and Philadelphia.

As well as the railway such as NEC. Riding North Jersey Coast I observed lots of places where lihgt turns off in a train.

And would be interested to know how does a disturbance detection circuitry works. I guess it uses electornic and computerized devices along with transducers.

There are substations located right next to the right of way for most electrified lines. The power stations in the northeast are somewhat close together, so no special generation plants are needed as far as i know at least between NYC and philadelphia.

The lights turning off is a phase break, but the arrow 3 MU's that (NJT) uses also have that "blackout" when crossing between circuits sometimes. The alp-46 and alp-44 do not have such issues, but they do also "black out" when they switch from one line frequency to another.

- Andy

Archived