Staten Island's MTA board member Allen Cappelli calls for toll equity

Via Garibaldi 8

why doesn't he propose eliminating the Verezano Bridge toll entirely then if every other borough gets a free ride? Then every borough has at least one free way to get there and back. Oh wait we cant make it too easy for motorists :tdown: :( :mad:

duh hun this is NYC afterall the only city in USA where the majority of ppl DO NOT DRIVE. Why are you surprised but good point

duh hun this is NYC afterall the only city in USA where the majority of ppl DO NOT DRIVE. Why are you surprised but good point

that don't mean a damn thing, the Verezano bridge is an important link from Long Island to New Jersey thru Brooklyn and Staten island, and plus there are plenty of places in the city where people have cars, so why unnecessarily make it difficult for them.

true if the B2 went over belt to SI ppl would probably abandon the toll in favor of the bus which would be just as fast.

Yeah, maybe some people would shift to the bus, but not any significant number. In order to use the bus, your origin and destination both have to be near the bus route (or at least convenient to access from the bus route, like a short subway ride away)

But that isn't the case in SI. In NYC overall, 55% of households don't have a car, but in SI, that number is 20%.

that don't mean a damn thing, the Verezano bridge is an important link from Long Island to New Jersey thru Brooklyn and Staten island, and plus there are plenty of places in the city where people have cars, so why unnecessarily make it difficult for them.

don't like it then move to a car centric area NYC is not for cars get over it use LIRR to NJT or intercity to whereever I can think of several travel combinations but it would take forever and fry ur brain

don't like it then move to a car centric area NYC is not for cars get over it use LIRR to NJT or intercity to whereever I can think of several travel combinations but it would take forever and fry ur brain

I live in Nassau County, which is car-centric, in case you forgotten :(

and what if its out of NJTransits reach? plenty of times I've driven down to Virginia Beach and Atlanta where there's no rail system. Last month I was at an event in the middle of Connecticut where there was no rail station, and no nearby station as it was out of metro north's reach.

Who the hell wants to keep switching between rail systems goin from amtrak to whatever local commuter rail service, having it take twice as long, and probably still have to call a cab at the last point. When you can easily just get in the car and DRIVE THERE. Right now this is about the Verezano, this politician should propose eliminating the Verezano toll, which would make things better for Staten island, not worse, rather than make the rest of the city suffer.

So, gimme one good reason why anyone with a car and its able to afford to maintain one, would want to take your LSD inspired rail and bus plans. Traffic is not an issue on a weekend by the way when I do travel off of Long Island. :( and even on long island, I never sit in much traffic. I can control where I go, when I go, where i stop, the cabin temperature and the music. I don't have to backtrack or wait for ill timed transfers. With that said, what is so great about your plan? and what is wrong with making it easier to drive in NYC?

I live in Nassau County, which is car-centric, in case you forgotten :(

and what if its out of NJTransits reach? plenty of times I've driven down to Virginia Beach and Atlanta where there's no rail system. Last month I was at an event in the middle of Connecticut where there was no rail station, and no nearby station as it was out of metro north's reach.

Who the hell wants to keep switching between rail systems goin from amtrak to whatever local commuter rail service, having it take twice as long, and probably still have to call a cab at the last point. When you can easily just get in the car and DRIVE THERE. Right now this is about the Verezano, this politician should propose eliminating the Verezano toll, which would make things better for Staten island, not worse, rather than make the rest of the city suffer.

So, gimme one good reason why anyone with a car and its able to afford to maintain one, would want to take your LSD inspired rail and bus plans. Traffic is not an issue on a weekend by the way when I do travel off of Long Island. :( and even on long island, I never sit in much traffic. I can control where I go, when I go, where i stop, the cabin temperature and the music. I don't have to backtrack or wait for ill timed transfers. With that said, what is so great about your plan? and what is wrong with making it easier to drive in NYC?

I never said I made a proposal for that type of travel specifically. where did this come from

I never said I made a proposal for that type of travel specifically. where did this come from

Right here:

use LIRR to NJT or intercity to whereever I can think of several travel combinations but it would take forever and fry ur brain

and you missed my question, why would anyone with a car go from long island to new jersey using the LIRR and NJTransit, since both systems are designed mainly for getting to Manhattan and back, and serve their purpose the best in that situation only.

Right here:

and you missed my question, why would anyone with a car go from long island to new jersey using the LIRR and NJTransit, since both systems are designed mainly for getting to Manhattan and back, and serve their purpose the best in that situation only.

don't have time I am gathering data on NJ and MD to strengthen my ideas and get rid of weak points. I am aware of the limits the systems present.

Archived