The MTA is testing a gillig low floor bus!

trainfan22

Maybe MTA has had enough of Orions BS (I'm talking about the poster on here, not OBI :):P:P), and they decided to shop around now. At least the Gilligs have full size tires, so they should have no problems with the hills. Where the HF buses can go, the Gillig should be able to go also.......

Maybe MTA has had enough of Orions BS
Ohh please, they can't get enough of me!

I really hope that we don't get Gilligs. What kind of name is that?

Usually HMC takes out the 6V92TA RTS, but this time they whipped out the Gillig.
That sounded mad gay.

WHAT!!!!???? God I hope not! I can't stand any Gillig of any kind. I will be willing to tolerate a BRT hybrid, but thats the only acception, and the acceleration isn't even all that! I hate Gillig so much I forget all about them sometimes. The design is okay, but the build is straight trash! There is no way in the world an Advantage can handle NYC streets! Can we say Rejected!

What is so bad about gillig buses? I mean these buses cannot be any worse than the orion VII. They look no diffent than an orion V. I think the MTA should buy these buses and dump them in the bronx. So bronx riders can stop whining that they are getting scrwed over by not getting new buses.

And besides these buses are probaly 1,000 times better than the orion VII.

What is so bad about gillig buses? I mean these buses cannot be any worse than the orion VII. They look no diffent than an orion V. I think the MTA should buy these buses and dump them in the bronx. So bronx riders can stop whining that they are getting scrwed over by not getting new buses.

What? An Orion VII beats a Gillig anyday. You never rode on one and I did, they are really terrible buses. Just because they look like Orion Vs doesn't mean they're good. Actually they look like a failed Orion V and Neoplan A440 experiment. This bus also breaks down alot and often HMC has to send one of thier 6V92TA RTSs to make up for it. Also the windows at the side aren't all even the same size and looks really wierd.

Photos Courtesy of Trevor Logan of TTMG

NYCB_Gillig_5770c.jpg

NYCB_Gillig_5770b.jpg

NYCB_Gillig_5770a.jpg

If you pick that over a VII somethings really wrong...

What? An Orion VII beats a Gillig anyday. You never rode on one and I did, they are really terrible buses. Just because they look like Orion Vs doesn't mean they're good. Actually they look like a failed Orion V and Neoplan A440 experiment. This bus also breaks down alot and often HMC has to send one of thier 6V92TA RTSs to make up for it. Also the windows at the side aren't all even the same size and looks really wierd.

Those pics are actually the Gillig Phantom High Floor. MTA is testing the Advantage Low Floor as seen in these pics.

Courtesy Jonesy

pat55896308uy9.jpg

pat52386308kj5.jpg

pat52076308yz5.jpg

Dude, until you ride a Gillig, you can't say they're better than O7s. When you ride one, you'll think different of the O7s. Dunno whats with ppl's gripe about the O7s, them buses are the business.

Gillig BRT Advantage is an exception because those aren't too bad, but I prefer an O7s over that.

Those buses are ugly ewwwww:eek:

WHAT!!!!???? God I hope not! I can't stand any Gillig of any kind. I will be willing to tolerate a BRT hybrid, but thats the only acception, and the acceleration isn't even all that! I hate Gillig so much I forget all about them sometimes. The design is okay, but the build is straight trash! There is no way in the world an Advantage can handle NYC streets! Can we say Rejected!

I second that!! :eek:

I third that:mad::eek:

I fourth that.icon_banana.gif

LOL... I guess you haven't had "The Gillig Experience" yet...... Those buses aren't built worth a damn.

I plead the FIF!

Those buses are ugly ewwwww:eek:

Just because you all hate them so much, MTA just might drop Orion and buy these in bulk. They will put them on the routes you all frequent the most. I hope they do just that. It would amuse me so much...........

NYCB_Gillig_5770c.jpg

NYCB_Gillig_5770b.jpg

NYCB_Gillig_5770a.jpg

I seen this bus on 32st at B'way a few years back when it was being tested. That is a beautiful bus, and puts the Orion V to shame. The Gillig has some pleasing features to look at, unlike Orion V. The Gillig BRT is also a beautiful bus. How it rides, well everything in MTA will ride like crap eventually.

Those pics are actually the Gillig Phantom High Floor. MTA is testing the Advantage Low Floor as seen in these pics.

Courtesy Jonesy

pat55896308uy9.jpg

pat52386308kj5.jpg

pat52076308yz5.jpg

Pardon me, but OH HELL NO!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad: Listen ... I lived in Kansas City for about three years or so, the KCATA or The Metro as most call it operates nothin but Gilligs and a couple of Eldorados. The Metro retired all their good buses (RTS, Flxible) and bought more Gilligs. Now, for those stupid plain jain uncomfortable squish tight seat Gillig Advantages... There is absoloutley NO ROOM on those buses. The seats are too close together (that means no leg room for you big and tall people), and all of the B/Os that i met said that they were uncomfortable and bad on their backs. I vote NO to Gillig Advantage, and YES to Orion NGs!!!:eek: The phantom isn't that bad tho...

Where in NYC (ie what depot) are they testing this Gillig Bus? 5770 was tested at MCH but now that's closed for repairs. Does anyone know if the Citaro's still in town?

Last I heard, the Citaro is now in Toronto or somewhere close.

• 3 weeks later...
How do you know? you saw it? :confused:

Why yes I did. It was all white, and did not have a blue stripe like someone said. I'm begining to believe someone other than MTA is running it. For one, why would they be testing a diesel bus that's more than 10 years old???

Why yes I did. It was all white, and did not have a blue stripe like someone said. I'm begining to believe someone other than MTA is running it. For one, why would they be testing a diesel bus that's more than 10 years old???

I don't know i got the info from SC.

Btw wasn't this confirmed by a B/O that the MTA was testing an gillg bus?

Archived