(L) to get extra service next summer

JubaionBx12+SBS

Reported by Pete Donohue of the Daily News. I found it in today's paper.

Riders of the crowded (L) will finally get what they have been waiting for, more trains. The service boost that the (MTA) promised with the operation of the advanced CBTC system will be coming next summer. 11 round trips will be added on weekdays, 9 on Saturdays and 7 on Sundays.

If one can find it online please post the link. This is not the exact wording of the article but it's quite close.

I found the Metro's link:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/local/article/1005728--mta-removes-bins-hoping-to-reduce-trash

Pulling into the station: More L trains next year

L-train riders, rejoice: More trains are headed straight to your station.

Beginning next summer, the MTA will increase subway service on the sorely-needed L line.

The MTA will add 16 trains to weekday service schedules. On the weekends, 11 trains will be added to Saturday’s service and seven to Sunday’s.

Riders on the popular line have repeatedly complained of crowded, infrequent and delayed trains.

“It’s wall-to-wall people,” said Alison Gartner, 35, a graphic designer who lives off the Graham stop. “We’re trapped; we don’t have any other way home.”

State Sen. Daniel Squadron called out the MTA last month, demanding more service. He pointed to the fact that L-train ridership has increased by 141 percent since 1998.

L-train cars are currently packed to 110 percent capacity during morning commutes and 122 percent capacity during evening rush hour, according to MTA statistics.

Dam it...

I was hoping the MTA wouldn't up the service so those hipsters who've been the one's clogging the trains in the fristplace would leave...

What you got against hipsters anyway, imo they are way better than those loud blabbermouth kids.

On the topic though, it would be nice to see the actual benefits of CBTC.

Dam it...

I was hoping the MTA wouldn't up the service so those hipsters who've been the one's clogging the trains in the fristplace would leave...

$50 says that's the reason...it sure as hell aint cuz of the other end of the line

Those "blabbermouth kids" aren't moving into neighborhoods and complaing about the people who already live there, like they have an "I'm better than you" addituted about everything.

As much as I'd love to express my opinions on this topic, I don't want to hijack this thread. Thou le me just get one in: How do those "men" feel like men with their man purse? Some look more feminine than their female companion. :confused:

I heard and read about this all day today.

I wonder if this is when they are going to bring the 32's over to the (J), so they can send all the CBTC-equipped 160's to the (L). I'm sure they will need all of them now.

I was thinking the same thing. Right now I saw 3 full train and 2 mixed train of CBTC R160's work the (J) and (M) lines over the last few weeks. I even had one my self for one on one of my (M) line trips.

Those "blabbermouth kids" aren't moving into neighborhoods and complaing about the people who already live there, like they have an "I'm better than you" addituted about everything.

Well, if you are in such sort of neighborhood, flooded with such "hipsters", you can easily ignore them, unlike when you are stuck in the subway car with bunch of high school students who can't keep quiet for a few moments, or keep holding the door, because his "homie" isn't here yet. I generally don't get those types of troubles with hipsters. The point is the hipsters are lesser of two evils.

Well, if you are in such sort of neighborhood, flooded with such "hipsters", you can easily ignore them, unlike when you are stuck in the subway car with bunch of high school students who can't keep quiet for a few moments, or keep holding the door, because his "homie" isn't here yet. I generally don't get those types of troubles with hipsters. The point is the hipsters are lesser of two evils.

Agreed, not to mention, the hipsters don't pull off as much trouble on the trains as those students do.

Guest lance25

And that's the $64,000 question. If 8 Av and Rockaway Pkwy can't turn those trains in a timely fashion, then we're right back at square one.

Theoretically one of the most efficient ways would have to include a multiple track depot behind the terminals, so the arriving train would discharge the passengers, go to the depot and come back on the southbound platform to pick up passengers, at the same time the next (L) would arrive on northbound platform without delays. It would also benefit the riders who would now know for sure which train leaves first, no guessing. The downside is that we do not have depots and probably won't have any soon. For now the terminals are bottlenecks for more rapid operation, in case of single-trunk, single-route operation, like (L) and (7).

I heard and read about this all day today.

I wonder if this is when they are going to bring the 32's over to the (J), so they can send all the CBTC-equipped 160's to the (L). I'm sure they will need all of them now.

I wonder if they pull 16 R160 trainsets off the (J)/(M) lines i wonder if there will be enough R32's and the 14 R42's (stored) to cover the (J), and what will replace the displaced R32's (if they did this) off the (C)

Ether something is getting cut or the following,

Not trying to start things (a Possible R44 return (its been talked about for the longest) I hardly doubt it) OR more R46's from Jamaica to run in place of the displaced R32's

all they need is those 14 R42's (a trainset and a half) and about roughly 40 R32's or less, they have to think

I bet money they will have less (M) trains after this but the TA will figure something out Lets just wait and see what happens

I wonder if they pull 16 R160 trainsets off the (J)/(M) lines i wonder if there will be enough R32's and the 14 R42's (stored) to cover the (J), and what will replace the displaced R32's (if they did this) off the (C)

Ether something is getting cut or the following,

Not trying to start things (a Possible R44 return (its been talked about for the longest) I hardly doubt it) OR more R46's from Jamaica to run in place of the displaced R32's

all they need is those 14 R42's (a trainset and a half) and about roughly 40 R32's or less, they have to think

I bet money they will have less (M) trains after this but the TA will figure something out Lets just wait and see what happens

Im guessing MORE five trippers on the Larry Line coming up for the summer pick...

I still think they can pull it off, CI has extra R68's lying around, they can give jamaica Back thier R160's that they sent back in the begining of this year to bump the R46's to the (C) to Bump off some of the R32's Including the Extra Ones that they rarely use for The (J)/(Z) and Possible the (M) (doubt it) and those displaced R160's (the CBTC ATO ready ones the ones with the red circle above the number Board are the ones that can go on the (L) line) thats the only way i see this happening, Plus those 14 stored R42's would have to comeback for needed service on the (J) If they don't do what i stated above then somebody subway line is gonna have reduced service, I hope that don't happen.

As for the (L) line Thats puzzules me because of the terminals but thats why u have the CBTC for and plus they might have to short turn some (L) trains, They should add a track at Atlantic ave so it could short turn there as well as uinoin Sq (middle traick east of 6th ave i think not to sure though correctme if im wrong)

as for the politics that demanded more service should bicth about the (G) as well, The ridership on the (G) has increased and IT SHOULD go back to 71st ave Especialy on Weekends to help the (R)

They should rebuilt Rockaway Parkway adding a center track there is enuff space.
I once suggested converting track 3 (the first track in the yard, next to the station) into a dropoff track, by adding a platform leading to the street exit along the fence separating it from the station. So people could leave from there, and the train could either head back, or layup (the layups also back things up, since they have to make sure everyone is off).

On the other end, to tie the extra track directly to the 6th Ave station tracks, so trains could drop out there and go back, and not have to wait to get into 8th Ave. backing all the incoming traffic.

They didn't think it was worth the money.

Archived