New Tappan Zee Bridge Opening Scheduled for 2017

mark1447

A new Tappan Zee Bridge would be built to last more than 100 years and would include space that could eventually be used for commuter trains or other mass transit, a new planning document shows.

The existing bridge, spanning the Hudson River between Westchester and Rockland counties, is overcrowded and deteriorating after 56 years of use.

"One accident can shut down the bridge for hours," said Peter Loughlin of New City in Rockland County, a frequent traveler over the bridge. "It's critical. We need that bridge."

Louglin was among hundreds who turned out Tuesday evening to get their first look at scaled-down designs of the new bridge at a packed presentation in Tarrytown, N.Y.

The decaying Tappan Zee first got attention after the deadly bridge collapse in Minnesota in 2007.

Then, the long-discussed replacement for the aging Tappan Zee was pushed forward earlier this month when President Barack Obama declared it eligible for fast-tracked federal approvals.

But critics say the rush is a mistake. The new, less costly $5.2 billion proposal -- down from a plan that cost as much as $21 billion -- scraps a planned commuter rail station and express buses to the city.

Many New York officials, including Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino, called that short-sighted.

"It's going to be an eight-track bridge in an iPad world," Astorino said Tuesday. "We can't have that. It's going to be outdated on day one."

The county executive suggested that bus rapid transit — which would mean bridge lanes dedicated to buses — could be included at a reasonable cost.

But Robin Douglas, of Westchester County's African American Chamber of Congress, said in this economy, the plan sounded good enough.

"To me, all of this spells jobs and contracts," he said. "I'm excited to see how my members -- members of the community -- can participate."

The Federal Highway Administration and state Department of Transportation foresee the new bridge opening by 2017.

More:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/New-Tappan-Zee-Bridge-100-Years-Suburbs-2017-Opening-132558068.html

on RR.net there was a post that some local official complained about the lack of bike lanes, who the hell is going to ride for over 3 miles up a steep incline and down another, Richard Simmons or some other health nut? We need this bridge, tieing up the process cuz its not what everyone wants is gambling with the lives of everyone who uses it. theres two commuter rail lines in rockland already, the tracks on the bridge arent needed right away, let em put in provisions and they can add it on later.

If it were me I would have it be a 12 lane bridge like the GW or Verezano bridge to maximize the amount of space for the people who use it the most, cars and trucks.

on RR.net there was a post that some local official complained about the lack of bike lanes, who the hell is going to ride for over 3 miles up a steep incline and down another, Richard Simmons or some other health nut? We need this bridge, tieing up the process cuz its not what everyone wants is gambling with the lives of everyone who uses it. theres two commuter rail lines in rockland already, the tracks on the bridge arent needed right away, let em put in provisions and they can add it on later.

If it were me I would have it be a 12 lane bridge like the GW or Verezano bridge to maximize the amount of space for the people who use it the most, cars and trucks.

Well said Foxie and agree:tup:. You can design a space for the new Tappan Zee and when the economy improves by end of this decade assuming a new bridge is up and running, then it could decided for extra lanes. Whether if a BUS Rapid Transit Lane/Light Rail lane is needed or not. The Tappan Zee is one serious accident from being closed for a long long while so it need to replaced or rebulit asap.

Hopefully (I have not seen the design plans yet)its includes a direct spur between the Tarrytown RR station and the bridge itself. Rush Hours Downtown Tarrytown can be a parking lot and I am sure many residents near that Hudson Line station would be very happy.

I wish they could build the bridge with transit links now and not wait years to build them. Not including them now carries the risk that these links may not be built at all. They might as well build the rails and bus lanes now that they have the opportunity.

I wish they could build the bridge with transit links now and not wait years to build them. Not including them now carries the risk that these links may not be built at all. They might as well build the rails and bus lanes now that they have the opportunity.

the George Washington bridge was only a single deck for its first 30 years of operation, so yea they can add on to the TAppan Zee later when they need to, just design the bridge with provisions for a lower deck.

With the price of oil the way it is, I think they should focus more on making it transit-friendly (though it doesn't have to be bike- or pedestrian-friendly).

So instead of an 8-lane bridge, they should build a 6-lane bridge with 2 train tracks. A lot of those people are commuting to office parks in Westchester (and I'm sure some are also taking the faster, more frequent Metro-North service on the east side of the Hudson), but with frequent and reasonably-priced commuter rail service, they'll have an alternative to driving.

Remember that one transit lane has more capacity than one car lane, so if the population increases, the rail will be better-equipped to handle it.

The thing is though, that they still haven't built a rail connection on the George Washington Bridge, even though they could have done it when they added the second deck. It's quite unfortunate.

not happening

With the price of oil the way it is, I think they should focus more on making it transit-friendly (though it doesn't have to be bike- or pedestrian-friendly).

So instead of an 8-lane bridge, they should build a 6-lane bridge with 2 train tracks. A lot of those people are commuting to office parks in Westchester (and I'm sure some are also taking the faster, more frequent Metro-North service on the east side of the Hudson), but with frequent and reasonably-priced commuter rail service, they'll have an alternative to driving.

Remember that one transit lane has more capacity than one car lane, so if the population increases, the rail will be better-equipped to handle it.

not if the train doesn't go anywhere people need to. Remember the tappan zee is part of a long range highway corridor, it goes all the way up to Albany and beyond, to Montreal, or To Buffalo, or anywhere further. I had this same argument with that qtrainfoamer dude, trains and buses cant be everywhere and cant go everywhere. I would have it be 8 lanes, and provisions for a lower deck with 4 lanes with the potential for HOV/Buses, and 2 train tracks when they need it. and build it to last this time.

not happening

not if the train doesn't go anywhere people need to. Remember the tappan zee is part of a long range highway corridor, it goes all the way up to Albany and beyond, to Montreal, or To Buffalo, or anywhere further. I had this same argument with that qtrainfoamer dude, trains and buses cant be everywhere and cant go everywhere. I would have it be 8 lanes, and provisions for a lower deck with 4 lanes with the potential for HOV/Buses, and 2 train tracks when they need it. and build it to last this time.

Also drivers/truckers use the Tappan Zee if say they coming for instance to/from NJ and going to Southern New England i.e Conn, Rhode Island and Mass. or Long Island without having to travel through Midtown NYC.

Also drivers/truckers use the Tappan Zee if say they coming for instance to/from NJ and going to Southern New England i.e Conn, Rhode Island and Mass. or Long Island without having to travel through Midtown NYC.

I use it when I go to Northern New Jersey as its a faster alternative to the George Washington bridge.

The lack of long term thinking in this region boggles my mind....:mad:

As someone who both drives and uses mass transit, somewhere even in this mega expensive of building a new TZX Bridge there could be room to bulid at least '1' light rail 'reserveable' tracks somewhere.

With that said Nexis sorry to say but the car will always be the first love of most Americans.

As someone who both drives and uses mass transit, somewhere even in this mega expensive of building a new TZX Bridge there could be room to bulid at least '1' light rail 'reserveable' tracks somewhere.

With that said Nexis sorry to say but the car will always be the first love of most Americans.

The Northeast has higher transit then car usage then any other part of the US and ppl in this region are angered by the lack of transit. They were promised it for 2 decades and got nothing....

A significant number of people are using it to travel between Rockland/Orange Counties and Westchester. If the train service is frequent, comfortable, and reasonably priced, you can at least capture those travelers and you won't need as many car lanes.

A significant number of people are using it to travel between Rockland/Orange Counties and Westchester. If the train service is frequent, comfortable, and reasonably priced, you can at least capture those travelers and you won't need as many car lanes.

Not only is there a high # of commuters between Westchester and Rockland/Orange that at one point for nearly 20 years Coach USA (they also run the Tappan Zee Westchester-Rockland bus line)had ran an OWL service in peak direction between Middletown, NY and White Plains. It was canned only about 4-5 years ago due to low ridership. I rode on that Owl service 1-time and biggest problem was delays on the Tappan Zee Bridge.

With that said, with the current TZX Bridge is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced asap.

Well said Foxie and agree:tup:. You can design a space for the new Tappan Zee and when the economy improves by end of this decade assuming a new bridge is up and running, then it could decided for extra lanes. Whether if a BUS Rapid Transit Lane/Light Rail lane is needed or not. The Tappan Zee is one serious accident from being closed for a long long while so it need to replaced or rebulit asap.

Hopefully (I have not seen the design plans yet)its includes a direct spur between the Tarrytown RR station and the bridge itself. Rush Hours Downtown Tarrytown can be a parking lot and I am sure many residents near that Hudson Line station would be very happy.

yes it could speed up the tzx bus too

Not only is there a high # of commuters between Westchester and Rockland/Orange that at one point for nearly 20 years Coach USA (they also run the Tappan Zee Westchester-Rockland bus line)had ran an OWL service in peak direction between Middletown, NY and White Plains. It was canned only about 4-5 years ago due to low ridership. I rode on that Owl service 1-time and biggest problem was delays on the Tappan Zee Bridge.

With that said, with the current TZX Bridge is on it's last legs and needs to be replaced asap.

this is news then why did I see many shortline buses at PM rush this year heading to orange from white plains

Archived