Is getting a flu shot a waste of time?

Shortline Bus

Flu shot? Give me a break. There's way too much medicating going on these days...people need to be exposed to some of these things so they can build up a defense to them.

A pediatrician I talked to once told me that it was normal to be dirty sometimes, and abnormal to be too hygienic. In other words, letting kids eat food that fell on the floor, suck on their toes in bed, or scrape their knee in the playground does more good than harm. Being a germophobe and depending on vaccines to update your immune system makes your body woefully unprepared for the myriads of pathogens out there.

Flu shot? Give me a break. There's way too much medicating going on these days...people need to be exposed to some of these things so they can build up a defense to them.

Of course...that's what vaccines are and why I'm actually on board with this.

I get your point though...the "hand sanitizer" crowd can go screw...

The definition of the flu vaccine is that it exposes you to a weakened/dead flu virus and your body naturally builds a response to it. You are thinking of antibiotics, which help one fights bacterial infections without necessarily building up an immune response to it, or over-using alcohol based sanitizers.

• 1 month later...

Getting a flu shot is most definitely NOT a waste of time. I am not surprised that you got sick shortly after getting a shot, since the shot itself is basically a small portion of the virus. It is meant to help your body build up a stronger resistance to the sickness, meaning you will be free of the flu during the months that it is passed around with greater risk. Have a great day!

Archived