Mayor aboard subway to NJ: Supports No. 7 extension to Secaucus

Shortline Bus

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of wasting money on this, spend it on something else..

Amtrak is already getting ready to build its Gateway tunnel along the NEC which will allow more NJT/Amtrak trains to get in and out of the city and Jersey.

Instead I would rather extend the (7) somewhere south of Manhattan to allow people from Chelsea and the Village have a ride somewhere else along the (7). Maybe even to 14th Street to connect with the (L). The (7) is a SUBWAY of the NYCTA system, not a commuter / interstate service. People in Jersey already got PATH doing all the work. Whats next? Extend the (7) to Newark......................? Or even worry about the rest of the 2nd Avenue Subway, which who knows if It ill be done by 2016 around. OR something else, if this money is for NJ/NY.

Don't forget social problems between NY and NJ.. Who knows if some people from Jersey dislike people from New York coming to there area.. You can go from the hood all the way to Jersey without paying extra.. At least Union City..

It also sucks how the media did not mention anything about the Amtrak Gateway tunnel to the public..

Effing waste of money...

NEW YORK CITY doesn't even have proper subway transportation in all the boroughs and they're worried about Jersey?

Frankly, screw Jersey. If they want expanded "subway" service they can do it through the proper channels through the PANYNJ and talk about an expansion of the PATH system.

This was the best possible response I could find on this subject.

Staten Island, the far tip of Eastern and Western Bronx, the 3rd Avenue area of the Bronx, the East Side, and the far West Side of Manhattan, the far East Side of Queens, Utica Avenue, the southern end of Nostrand Avenue, the area of Dyker Heights, and Central Queens/Northern Brooklyn doesn't have any subway service and we are already headed for NJ? Something is wrong here.

I say build it, why not. The more transportation options the better. Alot of places within the city limits need additional subway service, but there was already federal funding to build a tunnel across the Hudson. Its a much more feasible endeavor than building subway service to say co op city, for example. I would prefer a massive subway extension deep into throgs neck, or far eastern Queens and such, but that's realistically not gonna happen in my lifetime, and many residents wouldn't want it anyway (look how Country Club reacts to just bus service thats not even that frequent). The 7 is extending now so might as well keep going, these oppoutunites dont come often, subway lines extensions dont happen often so might as well go as big as you can, they wont be another chance for decades. Easier transportation to NJ would open potential job opps for ny residents in the business districts of Jersey city, Newark etc.

I think we are the only subway system that doesn't extend beyond its city limits anyway. The more consolidated the region as a whole can get the better for everyone.

dont let perfect get in the way of good

I say build it, why not. The more transportation options the better. Alot of places within the city limits need additional subway service, but there was already federal funding to build a tunnel across the Hudson. Its a much more feasible endeavor than building subway service to say co op city, for example. I would prefer a massive subway extension deep into throgs neck, or far eastern Queens and such, but that's realistically not gonna happen in my lifetime, and many residents wouldn't want it anyway (look how Country Club reacts to just bus service thats not even that frequent). The 7 is extending now so might as well keep going, these oppoutunites dont come often, subway lines extensions dont happen often so might as well go as big as you can, they wont be another chance for decades. Easier transportation to NJ would open potential job opps for ny residents in the business districts of Jersey city, Newark etc.

I think we are the only subway system that doesn't extend beyond its city limits anyway. The more consolidated the region as a whole can get the better for everyone.

dont let perfect get in the way of good

New Jersey already has a subway. They have PATH, and if they want it so badly they can just extend the PATH system. Why do we New Yorkers have to pay money to serve the people of New Jersey?

This is a brilliant idea and it is fiscally responsible in the long term as to the validitiy of transport into ny from NJ. It just goes to show that when 2 politicians without a secret agenda ( christie and bloomie ) get together and think out of the box, this is what happens. KUDOS to both, and I can only hope that this project could be completed within a reasonable amount of time ( under 7 years imo). ;)

Umm did someone gave a copy of the gateway memo to Bloomberg?

It's not needed. End of story.

And people, cut this 'the nyc subway can't go to jersey' crap cuz in 1929 the L almost went to Hoboken and in 1935, the C train almost went to Fort Lee. How do I know? The 174th St yard sits at level to the wall of of Cross-Bronx and the L train has some long stubs. So if the 7 ever went, it be what we wanted to in the 30s.

New Jersey already has a subway. They have PATH, and if they want it so badly they can just extend the PATH system. Why do we New Yorkers have to pay money to serve the people of New Jersey?

You are a moron. By your logic transportation projects in NYC should not be supported by the federal government because the people who are paying for it on the federal level may not be directly benefited.

A subway should be built to facilitate not just commutes, but all-day transportation as well, in dense urban areas. 2nd Ave, Northern Blvd, and Utica Ave come to mind. Secaucus Junction doesn't fit the bill. I'm guessing one reason behind this plan is to turn Secaucus into something like Jamaica (the regional transportation hub) by trying to extend subway service there, but it's going to be limited in effect because the 7 will take a circuitous route and it doesn't serve northern Midtown.

I still maintain the most important thing is to connect NYP to GCT to relieve congestion at those awfully skinny platforms in the former (one side benefit is that you keep some riders off the already strained subway system). This can also divert Amtrak trains to use GCT as the second NYC stop, further relieving congestion. Also just as good is to find a way to merge NJT and LIRR so they can attempt to reduce turnbacks at Penn as much as possible (granted, this is def. more difficult than my first proposal).

Two things for sure though: considering the distance, it should not take 20 minutes to get from Newark to NYP, and the passenger flow at NYP is appalling. You should try to fix those before throwing money at a subway which will only receive usage in peak times.

Umm did someone gave a copy of the gateway memo to Bloomberg?

It's not needed. End of story.

And people, cut this 'the nyc subway can't go to jersey' crap cuz in 1929 the L almost went to Hoboken and in 1935, the C train almost went to Fort Lee. How do I know? The 174th St yard sits at level to the wall of of Cross-Bronx and the L train has some long stubs. So if the 7 ever went, it be what we wanted to in the 30s.

Its not that we (or rather I) don't want it extended, its just that there's more important things that need to be done *cough SAS cough*

Goddamn it, if they can’t maintain the (7)<7> line stations here in Queens, where half of them are falling apart, how could they do so in NJ? Bloomie might be thinking in the long term, but he’s not thinking about the average commuter, the average immigrant who boards the train at Junction Blvd or 103rd St- they doesn’t care if the (7)<7> line is proposed to be extended to NJ-hell no. All they care about is about having good trains, good service, and trains that are on time.. And sadly, that is what is lacking on the (7)<7> line right now. You can do much better, sensible things then extend this line to NJ. This line is already one of the most overcrowded in the system. This problem will grow even worse if this plan is done, with all the crush of commuters potentially overloading the (7)<7> line to take a direct line to TSQ, 5the Ave, GCT, and 42nd St-Midtown in general from NJ (NJT)(Secaucus Junction more specifically). Revive the ARC, better maintain the system HERE in NYC, instead of throwing money at this.:tdown::tdown::mad::mad:

I like the idea of the Subway to NJ in principle but ending it in Secaucus, which is literally in the middle of nowhere, isn't very smart. Why not just extend it all the way to the Meadowlands or even Newark? Make it actually useful so people can *commute* to/from somewhere.

Archived