Mayor aboard subway to NJ: Supports No. 7 extension to Secaucus

Shortline Bus

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget social problems between NY and NJ.. Who knows if some people from Jersey dislike people from New York coming to there area.. You can go from the hood all the way to Jersey without paying extra.. At least Union City..

Union City is comparable to a lot of working class NYC neighborhoods. It could be compared to an area like Sunset Park or a Hispanic version of Flatbush or something like that. It's a little less dense in some areas (there are some areas with houses instead of apartments but even then, they're still pretty close together)

Just because it's in NJ doesn't mean it's all safe and fancy. For an extreme example, look at Camden. For a less extreme example, look at Newark, Paterson and Trenton.

If only SAS or the 10th Avenue station were as high of a priority on Bloomberg's list...

New Jersey already has a subway. They have PATH, and if they want it so badly they can just extend the PATH system. Why do we New Yorkers have to pay money to serve the people of New Jersey?

A subway should be built to facilitate not just commutes, but all-day transportation as well, in dense urban areas. 2nd Ave, Northern Blvd, and Utica Ave come to mind. Secaucus Junction doesn't fit the bill. I'm guessing one reason behind this plan is to turn Secaucus into something like Jamaica (the regional transportation hub) by trying to extend subway service there, but it's going to be limited in effect because the 7 will take a circuitous route and it doesn't serve northern Midtown.

I still maintain the most important thing is to connect NYP to GCT to relieve congestion at those awfully skinny platforms in the former (one side benefit is that you keep some riders off the already strained subway system). This can also divert Amtrak trains to use GCT as the second NYC stop, further relieving congestion. Also just as good is to find a way to merge NJT and LIRR so they can attempt to reduce turnbacks at Penn as much as possible (granted, this is def. more difficult than my first proposal).

Two things for sure though: considering the distance, it should not take 20 minutes to get from Newark to NYP, and the passenger flow at NYP is appalling. You should try to fix those before throwing money at a subway which will only receive usage in peak times.

To the three of you:

This is supposed to use the funds that were dedicated to the ARC project. If we don't use them, they go back to the federal government and we don't get any transit improvements.

And Caelestor: The (7) goes right through the heart of Midtown. I mean, if it went north-south, you could argue that it isn't serving half of Midtown (e.g. if it went up 8th Avenue, it wouldn't serve East Midtown).

I do agree that Penn Station and GCT should be connected, but there is a need for additional capacity under the Hudson. But I would prefer the ARC to a (7) extension because there is a great value in a one-seat ride.

You are a moron. By your logic transportation projects in NYC should not be supported by the federal government because the people who are paying for it on the federal level may not be directly benefited.

I didn't see a need to call him a moron, but I agree otherwise.

I'd honestly prefer if NYC Transit stayed in NYC...

Just my opinion though.

I Must agree the NYC Subway must stay within the city limits. Extending the (7)<7> to NJ is like biting off more than you can chew, stick to what you have look at the way the flushing line, the TA can barely keep it up to date but if it went to NJ would it make a difference? Hell No!! The line would be shut down within the first few months or first year. Bloomberg needs to first look at what's currently on the TA's mind the SAS, East Side Project, Fulton Street, and so many other lines and stations that need to be rehabbed, concentrate more on whats inside the city before making a groundbreaking ceremony for something that might be abandoned halfway. The idea is good for LONG TERM but not as a simple extension like the (7) to 34th street. then the destination is Secaucus Junction with only a couple stops in between, there's no point in that route as no commuter on the NEC will want to get off a high speed express at that station and take a much slower train that will take like an our making stops to manhattan. it would be better to send the (7) to Jersey City or Hoboken but Secaucus is out in the middle of nowhere, seriously after Tonnelle Avenue the trains going to be deserted. its better to stick with the current plans then after all is finished and if there's enough public demand for it see if its possible to go to NJ. but right now the money, resources, manpower to should be used on the SAS, East Side Access and the (7)<7> to Jacob Javit's Center. But overall a subway is for a city not for interstate travel. want to cross the state line or leave the city limits take a bus or a regional train why should people's tax money go to something that will benefit another state or maybe not benefit anyone for such a crazy idea. The second system which talked about lines probably extending to NJ should have been committed to in that time, now in the present its not possible, its time to focus on whats important and not some crazy idea about the subway going to NJ thats what the path is for, want subway's in NJ extend the path, and if path is not good enough more bus lines or commuter lines.

Even though I am against extending the (7) to NJ, building in the middle of nowhere would spur urban development. The (7) was built into Queens when there was nothing more then farms as far as the eye could see. There is a saying that goes "Build it and people would come".

this was a dumb idea the first time it was brought up and it's still dumb.
When it was first conceived, it was part of a master plan to move the Port Authority over there as well, getting rid of a lot of traffic through the tunnels and into the city.

You see!!! LMAO!!!

With all these extensions im hearing, I'm wondering if part of the NYC Subway system would become a SUBURBAN Subway system lol. Competing with MNR/LIRR/NJT/Amtrak RR.

I guess it would be weird to send the (1) train to Peekskill, (2) to White Plains and maybe the (6) to Stamford. :P Im sure you would be taking a cheap ride to the city mr. New Haven line ? :P LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG But wild!

To the three of you:

This is supposed to use the funds that were dedicated to the ARC project. If we don't use them, they go back to the federal government and we don't get any transit improvements.

So the answer is to build something for the sake of building it and not trying to direct that money to more needed projects?

I've never taken the 7, but the NYC subway is just that. New York City. Not Jersey, not Westchester, just NYC. Anything extending outward is taken care of by commuter rail or buses.

Yes a 1 seat ride would be nice, but for how long are you really willing to sit? If this is going to be and hour long ride i would look into express options. Plus it seems like some revenue would be lost since a transfer to/from PATH, NJT, MNR, etc would not be there.

What ever happened to the idea of some Hudson Line MNR trains going into Penn? The infrastructure is already there, in use by Amtrak not very frequently. Pop some of the locos down behind Spuyten Duyvil (since it's not electrified) during the rush and maybe once an hour midday. Some of those commuters would eat that up since it puts them farther west in manhattan than GCT does. Plus its connects one line of MNR to Amtrak, NJT and LIRR.

Sarcasm: We should just extend the subway to Boston and Washington DC. No more riding Amtrak and those buses.

........And we are talking about the Northeast right? Because a Subway wouldnt do to get someone to the east coast or anywhere else.

:smh: Why is this even given a serious thought? What the hell is PATH for? It's already owned by a bi-state agency. And in the form of the Hoboken branch, they could extend that line into Manhattan and run it to Manhattan and have it run to the Javits Center where the (7) is going to end. If this has been all about NY not ponying up its burden for the Hudson rail tunnel, then just say so. With PATH [owned by both states], it doesn't have to be all on Jersey to cross over. And this way there's no need to waste NYC's cars for Jersey riders in Jersey.

Why should a city subway end up crossing the Hudson to serve NJ? As others said, our system is a mess as is, we should be focusing on the existing lines first and then the expansion projects in the city, NOT something that concerns another state.

:tdown: on this.

Is NY going to pay for all the Eco - Damage they cause will this extension?

Will NJ pay for all the eco-damage it's caused for the past century?

I thought this was a repeat and then I remembered it was election season. Stupid Bloomturd thinking he can extend a subway line into another state but not care about a local line that's taken the better part of 90 years to even come to fruition.

Will NJ pay for all the eco-damage it's caused for the past century?

I thought this was a repeat and then I remembered it was election season. Stupid Bloomturd thinking he can extend a subway line into another state but not care about a local line that's taken the better part of 90 years to even come to fruition.

Were cleaning up our damaged areas faster and better then NYC thats for sure....

Were cleaning up our damaged areas faster and better then NYC thats for sure....

Yeah right, there is no way that New Jersey is going to fix/clean up Newark & Camden, Camden especially....And comparing a big state to a small city is not really the smartest thing in the world....as something small accomplishes more than something on a much larger scale....

Keep the (7) at the Javitz Center since its being extended there. Sending it to N.J is rather unnecessary. It's called the New York City Subway for a reason....

Yeah right, there is no way that New Jersey is going to fix/clean up Newark & Camden, Camden especially....And comparing a big state to a small city is not really the smartest thing in the world....as something small accomplishes more than something on a much larger scale....

Keep the (7) at the Javitz Center since its being extended there. Sending it to N.J is rather unnecessary. It's called the New York City Subway for a reason....

Were almost done in Newark with the Toxic sites , Jersey City has 6 more sites to clean up and Camden has 4 Toxic sites. Clean up is underway and is happening at a decent pace.

We need to focus on getting the (T) running and not digging more tunnels to the middle of nowhere

That's where the funding SHOULD go, but if this is money that can't be used for anything else, then I understand why they want to build the NJ extension for the (7), though I would also look at doing this for the (L), which is already a crosstown and has connections to almost every other subway line in Manhattan, which is what most NJ riders would be looking for (and with the provision of lengthening all stations along the line to handle 10-car trains, along with the Broadway Junction (J)/(Z) station for the times the (L) would need to terminate there).

I don't support the extension of the (7) to NJ. It's the wrong way to extend the (7). The right way would be to extend the (7) eastbound toward Bayside and Douglaston, you know, neighborhoods in Queens, New York City, the place where Bloomberg is the mayor. That's where the mayor needs to be focusing on subway expansion. He says there's no money to expand the subways in the city. Yet, apparently, he wants to spend NYC taxpayers' money for a (7) extension out of the city. What gives, Mr. Mayor? The only part of the city that would benefit from this extension would be West Midtown Manhattan and the real estate developers who stand to profit from any resulting development of that area. Which I suspect is the real reason behind this proposal because he seems to care only about Manhattan below 96th Street. The rest of the city be damned. If they and the Mayor believe this extension is the right thing to do and that now is the time to do it, then they should pay for the construction out of their own damn pockets. Use NYC taxpayers' money to expand the subway to areas where (surprise, surprise) NYC taxpayers live.

Archived