Mayor aboard subway to NJ: Supports No. 7 extension to Secaucus

Shortline Bus

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well ... what can I say. I've reread the entire thread now a couple of times, and the only opinion that I'm left with is that every argument I've read opposing the (7) extension into New Jersey has been either petty, provincial or dense. None of the many positives I've mentioned have been cogently rebutted, and the only "defense" I've seen proffered is that people are entitled to their opinion.

So be it. We've found something we can all agree on. People ARE entitled to their opinion.

And my opinion is that I still haven't heard a single argument against the (7) train extension into New Jersey that isn't piffling, parochial or obtuse.

Thank you all for respecting my opinion.

Well... what can I say. I've reread all of your posts in this thread now a couple of times, and the only opinion that I'm left with is that every argument I've read from you has been condescending, petty, dense and paternalistic. None of the many valid points raised by other members have been cogently rebutted, and the only defense I've seen from you was that all opposing opinions are petty, provincial or dense.

So be it. We've found something we can all agree on. You ARE entitled to your opinion.

And my opinion is that I've still haven't heard a single argument for the (7) train extension into New Jersey that isn't a condescending, childish and hypocritical attack.

Thank you for respecting my opinion, although judging by your past record, you probabaly won't.

Lol, I agree. Anyone that doesn't agree with him is the 'enemy'. Seems like he's the one that doesn't want to respect the opinions of others that are contrary to his. It's fine to disagree, but if he thinks it's his way or the highway, then he is a lost cause. there's no debate if people aren't willing to hear out both sides of the issue.

=

Another non-constructive post...

"A waste of bandwidth" by that guy. Another pointless one liner and watch how he won't respond back.

Well ... what can I say. I've reread the entire thread now a couple of times, and the only opinion that I'm left with is that every argument I've read opposing the (7) extension into New Jersey has been either petty, provincial or dense. None of the many positives I've mentioned have been cogently rebutted, and the only "defense" I've seen proffered is that people are entitled to their opinion.

Neither have your arguments effectively rebutted ours. I don't see you trying to push for improved subway service here in the city, or explaining this to riders at Main St-Flushing.

So be it. We've found something we can all agree on. People ARE entitled to their opinion.

Yes they are....but you aren't entitled to calling people petty, provincial or dense, intellectually dishonest, and narrowly interested.

And my opinion is that I still haven't heard a single argument against the (7) train extension into New Jersey that isn't piffling, parochial or obtuse.

Oh, it's not that our arguments are piffling, parochial or obtuse- you just don't bother to read our replies, and anything we say against this extension automatically qualifies as petty, piffling, parochial or obtuse. And, that my friend, is called ignorance.

Thank you all for respecting my opinion.

When you respect ours by not insulting our opinions, we'll start respecting yours. Until then....

No no no no NO!!!!!

Ok first off, if having the (7) extended is a useless idea, what makes you think extending the (L) is any better? The (MTA) already has a sh*tload of other things of more importance that has to be done, including train stations that are falling apart, an ever-aging bus fleet that needs to be replaced, half-finished construction projects that are ridiculously over-budget, and that damn SAS which at this pace, won't make it down to Lower Manhattan until I'm a senile old man in a wheelchair.

As for the 2nd bolded part, some stations just can't be extended, like Bway Junction. I pretty sure they thought about doing that already but couldn't do it.

It's too bad a stop like Broadway Junction on the (L) can't be extended (obviously, the topography of that station and how high up that station is has a lot to do with it).

That said, I do think the (L) may be better suited to go to New Jersey than the (7), mainly because the (L) could do it in a straight line rather than the curves the (7) will have to do with the current expansion. Also, NJ stations for an (L) extension could be built for 600-foot trains in the event the Eastern Division ever does get those stations extended OR perhaps another IND/BMT line were to branch off that and go to New Jersey. Plus, the (L) to New Jersey also would be beneficial to NYU students since it would give them a one-seat ride to Secaucus where they can access all trains to NJ, while for most others, they would be able to transfer to just about every other subway line in the system once across the Hudson, which is why I like the (L) better than the (7) for this.

It's too bad a stop like Broadway Junction on the (L) can't be extended (obviously, the topography of that station and how high up that station is has a lot to do with it).

That said, I do think the (L) may be better suited to go to New Jersey than the (7), mainly because the (L) could do it in a straight line rather than the curves the (7) will have to do with the current expansion. Also, NJ stations for an (L) extension could be built for 600-foot trains in the event the Eastern Division ever does get those stations extended OR perhaps another IND/BMT line were to branch off that and go to New Jersey. Plus, the (L) to New Jersey also would be beneficial to NYU students since it would give them a one-seat ride to Secaucus where they can access all trains to NJ, while for most others, they would be able to transfer to just about every other subway line in the system once across the Hudson, which is why I like the (L) better than the (7) for this.

Why would NYU students take the (L) to ever go to Secaucus? And you keep forgetting that (L) is already one of the most overcrowded lines in the whole system.

By your logic, the West End line should be extended a few blocks towards Seagate from its Coney Island terminal because it'd benefit me. Seriously… where do you draw the line between a worthwhile idea and a worthless one?

By your logic, the West End line should be extended a few blocks towards Seagate from its Coney Island terminal because it'd benefit me. Seriously… where do you draw the line between a worthwhile idea and a worthless one?

He doesn't know what the word feasibility means. All he does is propose subway lines to God knows where.

My point was, if the mayor is going to insist on the NJ connection being done, then I would do it with the (L) rather than the (7) for reasons stated.

What I do agree with, however, there are MUCH more important things that need to be done. This should be WAY DOWN on the priority list.

Oh, and as far as the NYU students to NJ part, most people looking for the (L) at Union Square to NJ (if that were indeed done) would be looking for a train where most people from Brooklyn would be getting off by the time it got there (same for anyone else).

My point was, if the mayor is going to insist on the NJ connection being done, then I would do it with the (L) rather than the (7) for reasons stated.

What I do agree with, however, there are MUCH more important things that need to be done. This should be WAY DOWN on the priority list.

Oh, and as far as the NYU students to NJ part, most people looking for the (L) at Union Square to NJ (if that were indeed done) would be looking for a train where most people from Brooklyn would be getting off by the time it got there (same for anyone else).

One answer "NO". NJ has PATH and Amtrak. Why do we need to send our f**king subway over there to appease some foamer, or idiotic people?

Actually, I think extending the (D) into Coney Island would be a good idea. I mean, it has a very high population density, so it would have instant ridership.

But getting back to the topic, the (L) would be even worse than the (7) because it doesn't serve the heart of Midtown.

I have to say, it isn't 'that' far off, but I think the 'shuttle bus' [the one that serves that community] is fine. I don't know if many property owners will be happy seeing more el structure blocking their view of the ocean.

Are you talking about Coney Island? A lot of the buildings there are housing projects, so I doubt the residents would really protest (as for the ones that aren't, I'm sure they would prefer an easier commute to an view of the ocean).

And the B36 has a tendancy to get pretty crowded, as does the B74 to a lesser extent.

There's nothing wrong with an interstate subway line. The problem is it seems like the MTA is going to be footing the heavy load compared to NJ. Plus NJ already has the Path. Extending the Hoboken branch to Manhattan would to basically what sending the (7) to NJ. PA is owned by both states and thus it works perfectly as a bi-state agency with a bi-state issue.

Another Path route = no worries about fare costs crossing from NJ to NY.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this never ending (and idiotic) saga of the proposed extension of the (7)<7> to NJ. From Second Ave. Sagas...

....Maybe the (7)<7> should cross the Hudson, but maybe it should have a different destination. Last November, we heard rumblings of this thought as the region’s planners offered their opinions on the Secaucus extension. At the time, former Transit planner Bob Previdi suggested sending the subway to Newark Airport or even Hoboken, a major hub for New Jersey Transit service that is even closer than Secaucus. This week, for Crain’s New York, Previdi trumpets a refined idea: The (7)<7> should go to Hoboken instead of Secaucus. He writes:

There are three important reasons to consider Hoboken over Secaucus. First, extending the No. (7)<7> to Secaucus would take 21,000 feet of construction, while Hoboken Terminal sits only 9,000 feet away, which would incur billions less in construction costs.

Second, Hoboken Terminal is a huge facility with plenty of spare capacity. It sits on 50 acres, has 17 platform tracks and is used by only 32,000 passengers a day. By comparison, New York’s Penn Station sits on two blocks, has 21 tracks and is used by over 500,000 passengers a day. It has no spare capacity. Third, the original ARC project was designed to double NJ Transit’s rail ridership—Secaucus is not capable of accomplishing this without major track changes. Only two tracks lead into Secaucus from Newark, which is why it is a major choke point on the Northeast Corridor.

Mr. Bloomberg’s initial response to the canceled ARC project would work brilliantly in Manhattan because it uses spare capacity on the No. 7 to avoid building a station under Macy’s. By the same token, Hoboken has spare terminal and track capacity and is much closer to the 7 than Secaucus. Marrying Hoboken Terminal and the (7)<7> would cost half as much as the other projects, or less.

It’s worth noting too that Hoboken already has a subway system in PATH that connects to Manhattan....Ultimately, that might be too tall an order for a subway extension, but if someone is going to sink $10 billion into a trans-Hudson tunnel, it must deliver returns.....but maybe the (7)<7> can’t do as much as the region wants and needs.

Still don't see the point behind this- how would Hoboken be a better destination then Secaucus, in any form, if our subway service here on the (7)<7> is getting crappier by the day? :mad::tdown:

Raed more-

A Hoboken-based idea for the 7 extension :: Second Ave. Sagas

Update on this never ending (and idiotic) saga of the proposed extension of the (7)<7> to NJ. From Second Ave. Sagas...

Still don't see the point behind this- how would Hoboken be a better destination then Secaucus, in any form, if our subway service here on the (7)<7> is getting crappier by the day? :mad::tdown:

Raed more-

A Hoboken-based idea for the 7 extension :: Second Ave. Sagas

The person that made this article is an idiot. A (7) extension to Secaucus would have to pass Hoboken to get to Secaucus. So therefore Hoboken would get subway service along with Secaucus. This person doesn't research their facts before writing it. It's all wrong.

And don't you think NJ secretly wants and envies what NY has for its stadiums (in regards to the Meadowlands), dedicated subway service.

Most New Jerseyites are now against anything feeding into NYC , so the 7 extension would not get much support. Only people in Greedy Hudson County would support this and push....most New Jerseyites want more Jobs and Transit $$ to connect with Urban Jersey , same with Sports....

Archived