Mayor aboard subway to NJ: Supports No. 7 extension to Secaucus

Shortline Bus

lmao @ Kriston's flip on nyland's last post..... I came to that conclusion a long time ago...

didn't bother wastin time replying to that condescending a** post of his.....

Anyway:

Most New Jerseyites are now against anything feeding into NYC , so the 7 extension would not get much support. Only people in Greedy Hudson County would support this and push....most New Jerseyites want more Jobs and Transit $$ to connect with Urban Jersey , same with Sports....

You have a bad habit of portraying your arguments this way....

Most New Jerseyites aint you....

I don't think there's EVER been a time/a post where you implicitly said or implied, ____________ (whatever) is YOUR opinion....

Get out of that, Nexis...

Don't be afraid to stand by your word.

Actually, I think extending the D into Coney Island would be a good idea.

I mean, it has a very high population density, so it would have instant ridership.

...and there being absolutely zero need for the 74.

(To give an example, folks) wanting to extend the E/J/Z towards SE queens is one thing.... However, extending any of the stillwell lines towards sea gate though, is quite another - Even if coney island itself is highly populated.... I mean, how much commuting time are we talkin about saving for those folks, have that happen?

"Most New Yorkers" don't....

nah, Seriously though.... I don't think such an extension would be worth it.

Still don't see the point behind this- how would Hoboken be a better destination then Secaucus, in any form, if our subway service here on the is getting crappier by the day?

Overall, I'm still not for this whole 7 extension bit either.... but I do agree w/ the notion that Hoboken would make for a better destination than some secaucus.... that 126 (NJT bus route, I'm referrin to) is somethin serious....

Secaucus Junction is nothin more than an xfer station/point....

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter how people try to portray this proposal, and that's all it is, it seems that many posters overlook the obvious. The mayor is only the spokesman for New York City. Unless he's willing to spend his personal wealth to help finance this project he needs City Council approval to commit taxpayer money to the project.Think who the largest contributors are to City Councul campaigns. Hint, it's not we forum posters, nor your parents or families. Business people and realtors are, either personally or corporate. See where I'm going here. The City of New York may "own" the subway system but who operates it and floats the bonds for equipment purchases and the like ? Your pals at the (MTA), which is a state charted entity. Guess who contributes the most money to Assembly and State Senate members in NY state? Is the picture clearing up yet? When the (MTA) can't float bonds for purchases for whatever reason guess who steps in and purchases equipment for them and leases it back to the (MTA) ? That's right, the Big Kahuna called the PA of NY&NJ, controlled by the governors of BOTH states. One guess who the biggest contributors were to their respective campaigns. If Chris, Andrew, and Mike's backers support this project or something similar it's almost a done deal, no matter the projects merits. I'd say the residents of Bayside, Rosedale, Flatlands, Richmond county, among others, have the right to scream bloody murder and more but some of you were the Mayor-for-Life's biggest supporters in the last mayoral election. Maybe he ran under the "Stalking Horse" or "Trojan Horse" banner last time ? BTW to the many posters who say NJ has a "subway" and it's called PATH you are technically incorrect.The City of Newark has a "subway". New Jersey AND New York state have a railway system called PATH run by the PA of NY&NJ. Just my perspective on the project. I'm not on either side here. I just wanted to point the ties that bind many of the people behind the scenes. They know that this money will go "poof" if the party of no wins the next presidential election and both houses of Congress. Just my opinion, though. Carry on.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Here's an update with a report:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/nyregion/city-report-looks-at-no-7-subway-link-to-new-jersey.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

City Report Looks at Subway Link to New Jersey

By MATT FLEGENHEIMER

Published: April 10, 2013

The plan to build a new rail terminal beneath Grand Central Terminal had its skeptics. A Second Avenue subway has seemed an impossible dream for decades. So perhaps it is plausible that on some faraway date, a traveler will walk out of a Mets game in Flushing, Queens, board the No. 7 train, ride beneath two rivers, and get off in Secaucus, N.J.

On Wednesday, more than two years after suggesting the idea to extend New York City’s subway service across state lines, the Bloomberg administration released a reportassessing the feasibility of operating the No. 7 at Frank R. Lautenberg Station in Secaucus.
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg called the proposal “a promising potential solution” to a growing travel demand and a dearth of new transit investment, which is “creating a serious and urgent threat to New York City’s economic competitiveness.”
“It would leverage existing investments and be compatible with other proposed projects,” Mr. Bloomberg said, adding, “We look forward to continuing to discuss this option, as well as other feasible proposals, with the numerous stakeholders involved.”
The report, prepared by Parsons Brinckerhoff, drew on feedback from representatives in the mayor’s office, the governors’ offices in New York and New Jersey, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and New Jersey Transit — all of whom would have to work closely to bring about any construction.
But with no precise cost estimate included in the report, the plans attracted immediate skepticism from the transportation authority, which said in a statement, “We don’t see this as an economically viable option.”
That sentiment was echoed last spring, when Joseph J. Lhota, then the chairman of the transportation authority, predicted that sending the subway line to New Jersey was “not going to happen in anybody’s lifetime.”
Proponents of the extension have called a new transit link between the states essential, particularly since Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey scuttled plans in 2010 for a train tunnel under the Hudson River, citing its cost.
A spokesman for Mr. Christie said on Wednesday that the governor was “intrigued” when the extension was proposed and would continue to explore its viability.
The report noted that extending the No. 7 train could complement Amtrak’s Gateway project, meant to increase tunnel, track and station capacity for the railroad, as well as the authority’s plan to extend the No. 7 train to 34th Street and 11th Avenue.

A version of this article appeared in print on April 11, 2013, on page A19 of the New York edition with the headline: City Report Looks at Subway Link to New Jersey.

A link to the report:

http://www.nycedc.com/sites/default/files/filemanager/Resources/Studies/No_7_Secaucus_Extension_Final_Report_April_2013.pdf

Build the Dam Gateway , modernize the PATH and thats all you need to do with NYC-NJ. This project is really just an expensive bandaid that mainly benefits developers in a small section of NJ and doesn’t fix the crumbling NEC from Newark to New York which has already had a derailment and multiple bridge issues since the early 90s….the tunnels have cracks in them and need to be closed for a year and overhauled. Aside from those issues ive noticed every time New Jersey or New York has proposed beefing up a New York-New Jersey Rail service a NJ Rail Projects either gets placed in the back of the line or canceled , the Newark , Jersey City Light Rail networks are only 40% built out , Paterson never received its Network , Trenton never got its extensions , alot of the projects were placed on hold due to funding and resources directed at the ARC. I think with this project that will happen all over again , and NJ is really starting to suffer… The LRT Networks were supposed to be fully built out by now and the next thing to do state wise was restore the Regional Rail and integrate it into the LRT network then add in infill stations. Most New Jerseyites would rather see billions poured into a NJ system and yes while the bulk of North Jerseyites work in NYC , we should not neglect the rest of the states working centers like Newark which after decades of rot is booming once again or Paterson and Elizabeth which are slowly getting back on their feet… I think you’ll find more support for expanding those networks then anything touching New York which is where you’ll you run into public relation issues….

Aside from those other issues I don’t like encouraging building in Secaucus , I know all the lines meet their but its surrounded by Marshland which flooded with 6-8ft of water from Sandy , that whole area should really be left alone….same with Xanadu which is a tax payer boondoggle that everybody hates….it will never be successful…the region is over soaked with malls so while some of you will suggesting eventually extending to Xanadu will give its finally kick it won’t. Their are a few suggesting that already.

Theres also the other issue of what happens once the Hudson Yards is eventually completed in 2040? :P That somewhat nice ride will become another Lexington Ave style nightmare….without the relief of express tracks.

I would like to see Phase 2 and 3 of SAS completed , the 7 line extended to Bayside , Nostrand Ave line extended to Madison or Marine Park , The R train to Staten Island , a Staten Island Light Rail Network , a Brooklyn and Queens Light Rail Network , the Triboro RX/Regional Connector , Rockaway Beach LIRR line , Fulton Street Regional Rail Terminal for MNRR , LIRR and NJT , E Train to St. Albans ,(8)Train to Throgs Neck , 7 Branch to Whitestone , L Train to 10th, I would like to see all of those before you construct a silly 7 extension to Jersey.

NJT and the Port Authority exist for a reason...

Just build the extra damn Hudson River Amtrak/NJT tunnel already! Bloomberg just wants to funnel over more NY taxpayer money to where it shouldn't be going. An extension to NJ would not mainly serve NY residents and he knows it, so something like this is NJT's job. And NJT isn't gonna (and shouldn't) give the MTA cash to extend the subway to NJ, especially when that service would compete with NJT from Secaucus fo NY. Enough BS already, build the damn Hudson tunnel for NJT trains!

Extension of the 7 to NJ would not result in FRA regulation. Trains would still be run by T/O's. 

The federal government, and by extension the FRA, is automatically in charge of regulating anything that crosses a state line, and a Maryland senator was agitating to put all transit agencies in the United States under either FRA or FTA oversight, regardless of whether or not it crossed state lines. Just because they're trying to rein NYCT In doesn't mean we need to make their lives any easier.

Honestly, the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn need subway service more than a marsh in New Jersey does. It takes me 2 hours to commute to the city from Eastern Queens, and before we do anything about a interstate subway line, we should fix the commutes of city residents who pay taxes and vote these politicians into power in the first place. Bloomberg's just a developer's shill trying to boost the value of Hudson Yards office space by connecting it to New Jersey.

The federal government, and by extension the FRA, is automatically in charge of regulating anything that crosses a state line

I hope all the decision-makers know what the consequences are if this ever becomes a serious proposal.

Again this is only Bloomberg's idea. http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/04/11/mta-throws-cold-water-on-a-tunnel-to-nj/

If Bloomberg wants to do this then he should fund it himself. He has $20 billion dollars. I don't think construction will cost anymore then $10 billion dollars. If he wants it he should pay for it.

Meanwhile the Staten Islanders are hopping mad. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/04/savino_no_extension_of_7_line.html

I say build it, why not. The more transportation options the better. Alot of places within the city limits need additional subway service, but there was already federal funding to build a tunnel across the Hudson. Its a much more feasible endeavor than building subway service to say co op city, for example. I would prefer a massive subway extension deep into throgs neck, or far eastern Queens and such, but that's realistically not gonna happen in my lifetime, and many residents wouldn't want it anyway (look how Country Club reacts to just bus service thats not even that frequent). The 7 is extending now so might as well keep going, these oppoutunites dont come often, subway lines extensions dont happen often so might as well go as big as you can, they wont be another chance for decades. Easier transportation to NJ would open potential job opps for ny residents in the business districts of Jersey city, Newark etc.

I think we are the only subway system that doesn't extend beyond its city limits anyway. The more consolidated the region as a whole can get the better for everyone.

dont let perfect get in the way of good

Not extending beyond the city limits you say? Can you please tell me where Far Rockaway is located then?

Agreed bro. Unless either NJ residents or the Feds or both are paying almost all of the costs of extending the (7) to Seacucus, NYC taxpayers should pay nothing.

Yet you do pay tax money for something called "NYC Bus" to pick up and drop off people in Bayonne...

Yet you do pay tax money for something called "NYC Bus" to pick up and drop off people in Bayonne...

The S89 is used mainly by NY residents who transfer to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, which I believe is why NJ Transit/CoachUSA Red & Tan (don't remember which) cut a similar route a few years ago. Of course NJ'ers use it too, since there is service to SI in the AM and NJ in the PM, but the primary user is the Staten Island resident. Plus it only runs during rush hour.

You'd think that with the whole Sandy fiasco with NJT, that we'd learn to stop placing critical transit infrastructure in a swamp. I guess we haven't learned our lesson yet.

When Hudson and Bergen County start paying the dedicated MTA taxes that we do, we can talk about operating service to New Jersey. (Paying for construction on the MTA's part, if it really has to, should only be as far as the West Side Highway and no farther.)

Is this infactuation of extending the train to NJ new within the last few years?

Bloomberg wants to give the Hudson Yards developers more money, in a nutshell.

Archived