Prospective MTA Drivers Undergo Tough Training At Bronx Facility

mass production

Training on half-a-million-dollar simulators and high standards are what Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials say have helped the city’s transit achieve the lowest rate of bus driver accidents anywhere in the country. That's according to a federal study from two years ago.

Stephen Vidal is the vice president of bus safety and training at the MTA. Back in 1998, he helped create the first 360-degree bus simulator.

“A new operator is no more likely to be involved in an accident than an experienced operator. Over time that has been a dramatic thing to see,” said Vidal.

Vidal said the program has saved the MTA money because fewer drivers have to be replaced and those on the road are safer.

Most enter the four-week program only having driven a car.

After passing the simulator training, students and their instructors take real buses on the roads.

About 80 percent of them, or about 1,000 a year, graduate.

Shamika Dottin’s road test is just days away.

“The training was tough,” said Dottin. “Pillars, keeping us four feet from cars, curbs, protecting our right side and looking out for the hazards, obstructions.”

Instructors say one of the hardest moves is learning to make a right turn without hitting anything with the tail end of the bus.

Vicky Jones started teaching at the training facility 15 years ago.

“I'm looking for one who comes in warm, ready to learn, very eager, very attentive, uses their book, listens to instructions and follows through,” said Dottin.

Those qualities can get drivers a starting pay of nearly $22 per hour plus benefits, something Jerry Figueroa is looking forward to.

“I want a future that I can have with my wife and children, retire at an early age,” said Figueroa.

A few students said they're after more than the money.

“I like being out with the public. I love it,” said Dottin.

And that attitude is priceless.

http://www.ny1.com/content/149780/prospective-mta-drivers-undergo-tough-training-at-bronx-facility

After watching this on NY1 I bet a lot of you are doing this now or have done it in the past. Pretty much I have a better idea what to expect during the training with the simulator, and driving the real bus in the Bronx. When I was training for my CDL 3 years ago on a School Bus they did showed me how to make a right turn without hitting anything with the tail end of the bus or if you hit the curb the road test was over. I'm very grateful that I already have CDL Class B with Passenger/Tank Endorsement from the DMV. The only step is to wait when my time will come for becoming a NYCT B/O, and do something better with my life.:confused: I hope it will come real soon...

Speaking as an operator who was just training at Zerega over 2 months ago, that simulator is bullshit. Now, this has no revelance, but my simulation training was done at Spring Creek Depot. Either way, it has no comparison to operating the actual bus.

The safety training given is credited mostly to the Superintendents working at Zerega. Depending who's your instructor you may be able to retain everything at a simple rate and you'll consistently repeat the safety fundamentals. The 4-ft rule definitely helps on the streets because of the stupid bike riders who think they're motor vehicles on non-bike routes; then the idiots who are focused on driving and not looking and dash out of parking spaces, or even open their doors. That 4-ft rule reduces the chance of accidents dramatically.

training on half-a-million-dollar simulators and high standards are what metropolitan transportation authority officials say have helped the city’s transit achieve the lowest rate of bus driver accidents anywhere in the country. That's according to a federal study from two years ago.

Stephen vidal is the vice president of bus safety and training at the mta. Back in 1998, he helped create the first 360-degree bus simulator.

“a new operator is no more likely to be involved in an accident than an experienced operator. Over time that has been a dramatic thing to see,” said vidal.

Vidal said the program has saved the mta money because fewer drivers have to be replaced and those on the road are safer.

Most enter the four-week program only having driven a car.

After passing the simulator training, students and their instructors take real buses on the roads.

About 80 percent of them, or about 1,000 a year, graduate.

Shamika dottin’s road test is just days away.

“the training was tough,” said dottin. “pillars, keeping us four feet from cars, curbs, protecting our right side and looking out for the hazards, obstructions.”

instructors say one of the hardest moves is learning to make a right turn without hitting anything with the tail end of the bus.

Vicky jones started teaching at the training facility 15 years ago.

“i'm looking for one who comes in warm, ready to learn, very eager, very attentive, uses their book, listens to instructions and follows through,” said dottin.

Those qualities can get drivers a starting pay of nearly $22 per hour plus benefits, something jerry figueroa is looking forward to.

“i want a future that i can have with my wife and children, retire at an early age,” said figueroa.

A few students said they're after more than the money.

“i like being out with the public. I love it,” said dottin.

And that attitude is priceless.

http://www.ny1.com/content/149780/prospective-mta-drivers-undergo-tough-training-at-bronx-facility

" I like being out in the public" .....this is not shopping in the mall.....this is I ain't got no fare and I need a transfer.......

" I like being out in the public" .....this is not shopping in the mall.....this is I ain't got no fare and I need a transfer.......

Yeah he is most definitely still in training...I know a lot of you operators are going to agree with this the average passengers to our dismay are deaf (if the bus announces it's destination or stop thy don't hear it) illiterate (your nice big amber sign shows your not doing a full trip but short turning somewhere and when you get there and say last stop the whole bus stands up and curses you out bcuz your not going to kings Plaza and didn't say so) and lazy (you spend what feels like 15 minutes loading up at a heavy stop while someone who needs the next stop which s a block away waits for you to get there when they could've gotten off the bus walked to their stop walk back to you and walk back to their stop again before you finally pulled from the curb)

As an operator who has done the simulation I agree with AE it's stupid and pointless my reason being that Anything that can be simulated except weather can be found by the instructor and you can actually do it for real

That gets me all the f-ing time too. I work at Flatbush with the roughest and busiest routes, and I may get 2 or 3 of these people a week, it's not often; but when it does happen, I look at them, and, I'm not gonna lie.. depending on my mood, I'll say, "So, let me get this straight: you don't have fare, but you want a transfer? You'll have to ask the next operator for a ride as well, just like you got on my bus." I don't say anything if you're short on fare and need a transfer but to outright get on the bus and boldly ask for a transfer with no money? It's an ego thing, and like I said, it depends on my mood as I haven't given that line often.

Simulators are BS. The simulators here @ njt I LEARNED NOTHING! And I mean NOTHING! Its a game thats all it is. You need to be in the real thing if you want real training. Would you put a 17yr old in a car simulator?

Narrow streets you have no choice but to hook the turn or on those diagonal streets turning right. I would never make a full 90degree turn onto a narrow street, im going to hook it.

That gets me all the f-ing time too. I work at Flatbush with the roughest and busiest routes, and I may get 2 or 3 of these people a week, it's not often; but when it does happen, I look at them, and, I'm not gonna lie.. depending on my mood, I'll say, "So, let me get this straight: you don't have fare, but you want a transfer? You'll have to ask the next operator for a ride as well, just like you got on my bus." I don't say anything if you're short on fare and need a transfer but to outright get on the bus and boldly ask for a transfer with no money? It's an ego thing, and like I said, it depends on my mood as I haven't given that line often.

I mean I think alot of crap I hear is funny.....the other day....Mister I have direct deposit and all my money is in the bank...I need a ride to Jamaica and would appreciate a transfer....I was like not my problem....and I guess I should get direct deposit so I can just do stuff for free to I was like...... what are people thinking these days....then she said later she was going to Occupy Wall Street for some free food......I am like pffff I almost just busted out a big belly laugh at this chick....

LOL, It's all bullshit. It burns me up inside too but you need to let it slide. no need to worry about someone else money right. I think of it like this. your saving your fellow operator the same bullshit. Second if you give them a transfer to the next bus they count that as a paid fare and is counted when they want to change service. They don't count the F5 or 5 key cause they not paying customers. so giving that transfer can save a run due to them seeing that they need the extra service. The best is when they come from the mall(Fulton or Atlantic) from downtown Brooklyn from shopping(shopping bags in hands) and say i lost my metrocard, or i don't have any money mister.

Lol how bout this, I open my door to let passengers off my bus, so this guy is waiting for another bus and ask if he can get a transfer because he forgot to ask when he was on his previous bus. I'm looking at him like really, you not even getting on my bus, but you want me to give you a transfer to get on the other bus lol smh. I just simply told him I can't do close the door and kept it moving. That's the world of MTA for you got to love it lol.

Yeah, nice one, transit bx; I've had that one before too.

Working the B41 going to Kings Plaza one afternoon, I discharge my passengers, and this one guy who seems mentally off, or maybe just for the day, kinda skipped the steady mob who was waiting to board the bus, and asked loudly, "CAN I HAVE A TRANSFER?!!".. then came the stare of death to him from me and the other passengers on the bus, he looked around and stepped off. lmfao!

That was too funny.

Yeah, nice one, transit bx; I've had that one before too.

Working the B41 going to Kings Plaza one afternoon, I discharge my passengers, and this one guy who seems mentally off, or maybe just for the day, kinda skipped the steady mob who was waiting to board the bus, and asked loudly, "CAN I HAVE A TRANSFER?!!".. then came the stare of death to him from me and the other passengers on the bus, he looked around and stepped off. lmfao!

That was too funny.

Lol @ acela and to anyone that can relate, someone boards your bus pulls out a metrocard knowing dame well it have no money on it, dips the card in and says oh I think I grab the wrong card hold on, mind you it be the ones that rush on the bus first and holds the line up. Then turns around and say oh can I please ride I left my metro lol. In my head I be like you know dame well what your doing smh.

Archived