Subway - What If?

VWM

I think BxM4Woodlawn assumes there is some blockage at those stations.

Due to some wierd reason, Euclid Ave (A, C) is closed and cannot be passed, plus the Cranberry tunnel is closed. Reroute and provide alternative service if needed.

(A) runs via Rutgers to B'way Junction, then between 88th Street and Ozone/Rockaways.

(C) runs via Rutgers to B'way Junction.

(F) Alternate trains run via the (G) to stop traffic in Rutgers.

(M) Extra trains between Brooklyn and 21st Street or 57th Street on the (F) to make up for loss of service on (F).

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next:

The Rutgers tunnel has broken rails and is closed.  At the same time, the switch folllowing Jay Street on the (F) is stuck in the position where such trains must go express AND there is also a problem where because of ADDITIONAL broken rails north of the turnoff to the 53rd street crosstown on the local tracks in both directions, all trains on the 6th avenue not turning to/from the 53rd street line (in both directions) must use the express track after 34th Street until 47th-50th. 

Next:

The Rutgers tunnel has broken rails and is closed.  At the same time, the switch folllowing Jay Street on the (F) is stuck in the position where such trains must go express AND there is also a problem where because of ADDITIONAL broken rails north of the turnoff to the 53rd street crosstown on the local tracks in both directions, all trains on the 6th avenue not turning to/from the 53rd street line (in both directions) must use the express track after 34th Street until 47th-50th. 

(F):

-Via Cranberry Street Tunnel. Select trains run to East Broadway or York Street.

-SB trains run express to Smith/9th Streets.

-Runs on express tracks b/w 34th Street & 57th Street. Select trains run via 6th Av Lcl-53rd St.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

Let's bring this thread back.

The rails at Av U on the Brighton are broken, and trains cannot safely pass. In addition, the switches at Kings Hwy are stuck so that all trains keep going on their current track.

(B): Via 4th Avenue Express - West End Express - CI to Brighton Beach.

(D): Select trains run to Brighton Beach.

(Q): No service b/w Prospect Park & Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

The 6th Avenue line has been closed down. Trains cannot pass between 7th Avenue (B)(D), 2nd Avenue (F), the Chrystie Connection (M), and nowhere where the 63rd Street tracks are close to the 6th Avenue line. I'm not sure if the 8th Avenue line can handle it. Services affected: (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(M). 8th Avenue is delayed unless you steer some 6th Avenue service away from it.

- (A) / (C) via express 145-Canal.

- (B) suspended entirely.

- (D) runs in two sections: 1) between 205 and WTC via CPW & 8 Av local. 2) between Whitehall (N)(R) station and 36 St-4 Av, once again via local, no express.

- (F) runs via 53 St and 8 Av, then via Cranberry to/from Jay St-MetroTech. Some (F) 's run via Crosstown between Queens Plz and Bergen St as needed to avoid congestion.

- (M) via Nassau between Essex and Chambers.

This is similar to the 6th Avenue FASTRACK that occured a few years ago.

Edited by RollOver

- (A) / (C) via express 145-Canal.

- (B) suspended entirely.

- (D) runs in two sections: 1) between 205 and WTC via CPW & 8 Av local. 2) between Whitehall (N)(R) station and 36 St-4 Av, once again via local, no express.

- (F) runs via 53 St and 8 Av, then via Cranberry to/from Jay St-MetroTech. Some (F) 's run via Crosstown between Queens Plz and Bergen St as needed to avoid congestion.

- (M) via Nassau between Essex and Chambers.

This is similar to the 6th Avenue FASTRACK that occured a few years ago.

Can't you just short turn (M) at Essex Street? Or is the switch that takes the (J) to the outer track out of service on weekdays?

And won't the (D) just put in more congestion on the (E)?

Can't you just short turn (M) at Essex Street? Or is the switch that takes the (J) to the outer track out of service on weekdays?

And won't the (D) just put in more congestion on the (E)?

1) Whenever something goes wrong on either 6 Av or 8 Av branches, they almost always send (M) trains to/from Chambers instead of terminating them at Essex...

2) Well...what else do you want me to do? You said that 6 Av is cut, so I did all the aforementioned reroutes...

Let's bring this thread back.

The rails at Av U on the Brighton are broken, and trains cannot safely pass. In addition, the switches at Kings Hwy are stuck so that all trains keep going on their current track.

- All (B) trains run local and terminate at Kings Highway

- All (Q) trains run via 4th Avenue Express and Sea Beach, terminating at Brighton Beach.

- Shuttle buses between Kings Highway and Brighton Beach

The 6th Avenue line has been closed down. Trains cannot pass between 7th Avenue (B/D OR B/Q), 2nd Avenue F, the Chrystie Connection M, and nowhere where the 63rd Street tracks are close to the 6th Avenue line. I'm not sure if the 8th Avenue line can handle it. Services affected:  B/C/F/M/Q (if 7th Avenue Brooklyn) OR B/C/D/E/F/M (if 7th Avenue Manhattan). 8th Avenue is delayed unless you steer some 6th Avenue service away from it.

How I see it if the 7th Avenue BROOKLYN Station is affected (Note: the B and Q run via Brighton at 7th Avenue, meaning the A and D are NOT affected in the Brooklyn example):

(B) runs from Chambers Street (E) station to 145th Street or Bedford Park Boulevard.

(C) runs express between Canal Street and 59th Street.

Passengers for 50th Street are asked to transfer to the E at Canal, 14th or 42nd Street OR from upper Manhattan, take the (B) to 7th Avenue and transfer to the E there.

(N) runs through Coney Island and is extended to Prospect Park to replace the (Q) that is suspended in Brooklyn.

(N) also operates as an express in Manhattan

(Q) operates Whitehall Street to Astoria ONLY (as a local all the way)!

(F) trains operate in the following rotation:

1. Via the (C) and then (E) between Jay Street, Brooklyn and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue, Queens

2. Via the (C), regular route, (M) and (E) between Jay Street, Brooklyn and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue, Queens

3. Via the (G) and then (E) between Bergen Street, Brooklyn and 74th Street-Roosevelt Avenue, Queens

4. Via regular route to Delancey Street ONLY!

(G) is extended to 179th Street and replaces the (M) on Queens Boulevard

(M) runs via its old route between Essex and Chambers Street

57th Street and Lexington Avenue-63rd Street are CLOSED! Please use other trains where possible, block tickets are available where warranted.

If the 7th Avenue MANAHTTAN station is affected (and all the other problems are is the same as if 7th Avenue BROOKLYN is affected):

F/G/M operate the same as if 7th Avenue Brooklyn is affected (the E still stops at 7th Avenue, allowing the F trains that operate via 8th Avenue (as in the first situation) to access that station)

(C) is re-routed via the (D) after 145th Street and runs at all times to 205th Street.  Select (C) trains run express between Canal Street and 59th or 145th Street.

(D) operates between Coney Island and 42nd Street-6th Avenue ONLY!  Passengers looking for upper Manhattan are asked to use the 8th Avenue line trains.

I did both scenarios since 7th Avenue-53rd Street was NOT specified (remember, there are TWO 7th Avenue stations).

Correcting from below: I meant the (B) operates from Chambers Street (E) station to 205th Street.  The rest remains the same.

How I see it if the 7th Avenue BROOKLYN Station is affected (Note: the B and Q run via Brighton at 7th Avenue, meaning the A and D are NOT affected in the Brooklyn example):

(B) runs from Chambers Street (E) station to 145th Street or Bedford Park Boulevard.

The 6th Avenue line has been closed down. Trains cannot pass between 7th Avenue, 2nd Avenue, the Chrystie Connection, and nowhere where the 63rd Street tracks are close to the 6th Avenue line. I'm not sure if the 8th Avenue line can handle it. Services affected: A B C D E F M. 8th Avenue is delayed unless you steer some 6th Avenue service away from it.

Let's see:

(A): Delays.

(B): Via Broadway Express to Queensboro Plaza. Trains already on CPW/Bronx run via Cranberry Street/Culver Exp to Avenue X.

(C): Via 8th Avenue/CPW Express b/w 145th Street & Canal Street.

(D): Two sections-

Coney Island-57th Street/7th Avenue via Broadway Express.

World Trade Center-205th Street via 8th Avenue/CPW Local.

(D): Select SB trains terminate at 145th Street.

(E): Delays.

(F): Via Cranberry Street-8th Avenue Express. Select trains run via Crosstown. Select NB trains run to Delancy Street. Select SB trains run to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street.

(M): Via Nassau Street to Chambers Street.

8 Av Exp: (A)(C)(F)

8 Av Lcl: (B)(D)(E)

(B)(D) train riders, transfer at Times Square/Port Authority to continue your journey.

(M) train riders, transfer at Canal Street to the (B)(D) or other Broadway services.

Use M5 and M7 buses for 6th Avenue. Extra M5 buses run b/w Columbus Circle and South Ferry.

36th Street (D)(N)(R) needs to be closed off for emergency track work. Reroute.

Assuming that Sandy never came:

(D) Runs in two sections between Norwood and Atlantic Avenue, and 9th Avenue and Coney Island.

(N) Runs between 59th Street and Coney Island.

(Q) runs local in Manhattan

(R) Runs up to Jay Street-Metrotech.

1) Whenever something goes wrong on either 6 Av or 8 Av branches, they almost always send (M) trains to/from Chambers instead of terminating them at Essex...

2) Well...what else do you want me to do? You said that 6 Av is cut, so I did all the aforementioned reroutes...

Here's what I would have done. And whatever about #1.

(B) Suspended.

(C) Runs express between 145 and Canal Streets. Alternate northbound trains terminate at York Street.

(D) Runs local between Norwood and Canal Streets via 8th Avenue, then terminates at Canal or Chambers Streets. In Brooklyn, runs between Whitehall Street or Court Street (R) and Coney Island.

(F) Runs via the (E) line between Jackson Heights and Canal Street, then via the (C) between Canal Street and Jay Street-Metrotech. 

(M) Terminates at Chambers Street or Essex Street.

(Q) Runs via the (F) line to 21st Street-Queensbridge. Limited trains go to Astoria.

Whatever? You asked me a question and I answered it. Was that so hard dude?

Going over your post above mine, you're alternating northbound trains by terminating them at York St? For what reason actually? And you do realize you would be backing up the rerouted (F) and normal (A)(C) trains through Chambers Street by terminating the rerouted (D) trains there right? That's why I chose to terminate them at WTC so they wouldn't delay any passing through service at Chambers Street.

If you don't like my answer to your proposal, then don't post them. Simple as that.

-

Moving on...

There's a water main break at 23rd Street-8th Avenue. Reroute away.

Whatever? You asked me a question and I answered it. Was that so hard dude?

Going over your post above mine, you're alternating northbound trains by terminating them at York St? For what reason actually? And you do realize you would be backing up the rerouted (F) and normal (A)(C) trains through Chambers Street by terminating the rerouted (D) trains there right? That's why I chose to terminate them at WTC so they wouldn't delay any passing through service at Chambers Street.

If you don't like my answer to your proposal, then don't post them. Simple as that.

-

Moving on...

There's a water main break at 23rd Street-8th Avenue. Reroute away.

Pretty much like the 8th Avenue Fastrack.

(A): Runs via the (D) between 59th Street and W4th Street.

(B): Some northbound trains terminate at Kings Highway.

(C): Runs via the (D) local between 59th Street and W4th Street. Some northbound trains terminate at Chambers Street. (Drop off and go. Pick up and go.)

(E): Runs via the (F) line between 5th Avenue and W4th Street.

Ooo... This one's gonna be tricky.

All of the subway workers (plus the ones for the Staten Island Railway) have gone on strike. How would De Balsio and Pendergast, and New York City respond to this?

I don't think this will work though, but, replace subway with bus?

36th Street (D)(N)(R) needs to be closed off for emergency track work. Reroute.

I'm going to for this purpose assume Montague is still closed:

Shuttle buses run as follows:

Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 59th Street (N)(R) station.

Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 9th Avenue (D) station.

(B) is re-routed and runs from Chambers Street (E) station to 145th Street OR Bedford Park Boulevard (via the (E) between Chambers and West 4th).

(D) starts at 9th Avenue, runs normal to Coney Island and through Coney Island to the Brighton Line, running express and replacing the (B) along the Brighton Line, running normal route after Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center.

(N) starts at 59th Street runs normal to Coney Island and through Coney Island to the Brighton Line, running express and replacing the (B) along the Brighton Line, running normal route after Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center.

(R) runs in three sections:

Whitehall Street-71st-Contiental

Court Street-Pacific Street

59th-95th Street

Edited by Wallyhorse

1. Why would you reroute the (B) last time I checked Brighton was still fine

2. Why would you run the (D) all the way around just extend the (B) to Coney Island

3. Same thing with the (N) why do you need to run it all the way around so people have a one seat ride? Thats malarkey once again the N is fine at Coney Island

1. Why would you reroute the (B) last time I checked Brighton was still fine 2. Why would you run the (D) all the way around just extend the (B) to Coney Island 3. Same thing with the (N) why do you need to run it all the way around so people have a one seat ride? Thats malarkey once again the N is fine at Coney Island

The idea is to preserve as much regular service as possible and to retain the one-seat rides on the Sea Beach and West End Lines even if doing so in an unconventional manner.  That's why I have the (D) and (N) using the Brighton Express while the (B) (a secondary line) is switched to Chambers.