Subway - What If?

VWM

(A) Signal problems on (A) Trains between 207th St & 168th st.

(C) Track Fire on 8 Ave Local Track.

(E) See (C); Also Added & Demanding service on (E) line Due to LIRR Delay Jamaica to Penn Station (On Weekend).

(F) Due to special event on Coney Island (F) trains...[insert Solution]

(N) Blockage on 34 st Herald Square.

(Q) Due to Issues on te Manhattan Bridge (Q) trains...[insert Solution]

(S) No shuttle trains to Grand Central.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25

Since this thread and this one are almost the same, I'd suggest we continue the discussion at the other one since that one is older and has more posts. Thanks for your understanding and enjoy the day.

Since this thread and this one are almost the same, I'd suggest we continue the discussion at the other one since that one is older and has more posts. Thanks for your understanding and enjoy the day.

No... that thread is boring. You solve it on your own over there. However, this thread is different because you get everyone's opinion.

Here's a fanciful question for you:

What if the MTA switched out all active rolling stock with London Underground 1995/6 stock? ;)

Are you ready? This is not for the faint of heart.

Due to unknown reasons, but it seems to be structural problems, The Smith-9th Sts (F)(G) Station Collapsed and the 4th Avenue (D)(N)(R) is impassable to to dust and rubble between 59 St and Pacific Av. The Christie St Connection is going under repairs, but the (M) can pass through it. Union Square- 14 St (4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)(R) is flooded due to a water main break. And an earthquake has shaken any open cut subway and destroyed the stations along it. ( sea beach and brighton north of kings hwy. )

How do you re- route....'

(4)(5)(6)(;)(D)(F)(G)(L)(N)(Q)(R) service????

He means the viaduct from Carroll St to 4th Av-9th St. That's IND, right?

Yup, just didn't get the connection between the other BMT areas and Culver. Also on another recent scenario, Smith-9th is not above 4Av, so I do not know how rubble from that station found its way over 1/4 mile way into the 4Av area, but carry on :P

Also for those that wish to know what the BMT el's are, those are:

(J)(M) from Marcy Av to Met Av/121st.

(N)(Q) Queensboro Plaza to Ditmars

(7) Willets Pt to Court Sq (BMT el, IRT stations and line, of course connected to the Astoria el)

(D) 9Av to Bay 50th

(Q)(B) Brighton Beach to CI

(F) CI to Ditmas

Oy vey, here's what I somehow managed to salvage. Also, I'm operating under the presumption that the construction is only affecting the Broadway-Lafayette to Essex tunnels

(4) runs in two sections, from Woodlawn to Grand Central (express in Bronx/local in Manhattan) and from Brooklyn Bridge to Utica Avenue.

(5) runs as Dyre Shuttle

(6) runs from Pelham to 125th St

(C) rerouted to WTC

(D) runs in two sections, from 205th to Prospect Park, and from 36th to Coney Island

(F) rerouted to Euclid

(G) runs in two sections, from Forest Hills to Bedford-Nostrand, and single-tracking from Bedford-Nostrand to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

(L) runs from Bedford Avenue to Canarsie

(M) runs via the Chrystie Street Cut in rush hours only; diverted to Broad Street on weekdays, Myrtle Av Shuttle other times

(N) runs in two sections, from Astoria to 34th Street, and from City Hall to Pacific Street

(R) runs in two sections, from Forest Hills to Pacific Street (via the (F) from Queens Plaza-West 4th and the (D) from West 4th-DeKalb), and from 36th Street to 95th Street.

No (;) service

No (Q) service

No Franklin Avenue Shuttle

(S) Shuttle Train runs along Culver El from Church Street to Coney Island (signed as (F)?)

(S) Shuttle Train runs along Brighton El from Kings Highway to Coney Island (signed as (Q)?)

Shuttle Buses run the following routes (SB for Brooklyn, SM for Manhattan)

SB1: Jay Street, Bergen Street, Carroll Street, Union Street, 7th Avenue, 15th Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Church Avenue/Kensington

SB2: Jay Street, Pacific Street, Union Street, 7th Avenue, Prospect Street, 25th Street, 36th Street

SB3: Prospect Park, Church Avenue/Kensington, 36th Street

SB4: Prospect Park, Parkside Avenue, Church Avenue/Brighton, Beverley Road, Cortelyou Road, Newkirk Avenue, Avenue H, Avenue J, Avenue M, Kings Highway

SM1: 8th Avenue-6th Avenue, Union Square-3rd Avenue-1st Avenue

SM2: Union Square-Essex Street-Lorimer Street/Metropolitan Avenue

SM3: 34th Street/Herald Square-28th Street/Broadway-23rd Street/Broadway-Union Square-8th Street/Broadway-Houston Street/Broadway-Prince/Spring Streets-Canal Street/Broadway-City Hall-(Fulton Street)

SM4: 34th Street/Herald Square-West 4th Street-City Hall

SM5: Grand Central-34th Street/Park-28th Street/Park-23rd Street/Park-Union Square-Astor Place-Houston

Oy vey, here's what I somehow managed to salvage. Also, I'm operating under the presumption that the construction is only affecting the Broadway-Lafayette to Essex tunnels

(4) runs in two sections, from Woodlawn to Grand Central (express in Bronx/local in Manhattan) and from Brooklyn Bridge to Utica Avenue.

(5) runs as Dyre Shuttle

(6) runs from Pelham to 125th St

(C) rerouted to WTC

(D) runs in two sections, from 205th to Prospect Park, and from 36th to Coney Island

(F) rerouted to Euclid

(G) runs in two sections, from Forest Hills to Bedford-Nostrand, and single-tracking from Bedford-Nostrand to Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

(L) runs from Bedford Avenue to Canarsie

(M) runs via the Chrystie Street Cut in rush hours only; diverted to Broad Street on weekdays, Myrtle Av Shuttle other times

(N) runs in two sections, from Astoria to 34th Street, and from City Hall to Pacific Street

(R) runs in two sections, from Forest Hills to Pacific Street (via the (F) from Queens Plaza-West 4th and the (D) from West 4th-DeKalb), and from 36th Street to 95th Street.

No (;) service

No (Q) service

No Franklin Avenue Shuttle

(S) Shuttle Train runs along Culver El from Church Street to Coney Island (signed as (F)?)

(S) Shuttle Train runs along Brighton El from Kings Highway to Coney Island (signed as (Q)?)

Shuttle Buses run the following routes (SB for Brooklyn, SM for Manhattan)

SB1: Jay Street, Bergen Street, Carroll Street, Union Street, 7th Avenue, 15th Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Church Avenue/Kensington

SB2: Jay Street, Pacific Street, Union Street, 7th Avenue, Prospect Street, 25th Street, 36th Street

SB3: Prospect Park, Church Avenue/Kensington, 36th Street

SB4: Prospect Park, Parkside Avenue, Church Avenue/Brighton, Beverley Road, Cortelyou Road, Newkirk Avenue, Avenue H, Avenue J, Avenue M, Kings Highway

SM1: 8th Avenue-6th Avenue, Union Square-3rd Avenue-1st Avenue

SM2: Union Square-Essex Street-Lorimer Street/Metropolitan Avenue

SM3: 34th Street/Herald Square-28th Street/Broadway-23rd Street/Broadway-Union Square-8th Street/Broadway-Houston Street/Broadway-Prince/Spring Streets-Canal Street/Broadway-City Hall-(Fulton Street)

SM4: 34th Street/Herald Square-West 4th Street-City Hall

SM5: Grand Central-34th Street/Park-28th Street/Park-23rd Street/Park-Union Square-Astor Place-Houston

Well done.

You should try and create your own "monstrosity".

Also for those that wish to know what the BMT el's are, those are:

(J)(M) from Marcy Av to Met Av/121st.

(N)(Q) Queensboro Plaza to Ditmars

(7) Willets Pt to Court Sq (BMT el, IRT stations and line, of course connected to the Astoria el)

(D) 9Av to Bay 50th

(Q)(;) Brighton Beach to CI

(F) CI to Ditmas

Isn't the Fulton Street line from 88 Avenue to Lefferts Blvd BMT? It was built under the Dual Contracts for the BMT. And of course, the Canarsie line south of Broadway Junction and just after New Lots Avenue is elevated.

Due to a Manhole explosion in Long Island City, the explosion impacted (E)(F)(G)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(7)<7>service. Note: There is no power in that section in Queens. How would you change service?

Due to switch problems at 96th street (1)(2)(3) and 125th street (4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6> no trains can pass through either junction, how would you reroute service?

I want to try this out.

Isn't the Fulton Street line from 88 Avenue to Lefferts Blvd BMT? It was built under the Dual Contracts for the BMT. And of course, the Canarsie line south of Broadway Junction and just after New Lots Avenue is elevated.

I don't think it's considered BMT anymore, seeing as it's technically classified as an IND line (even in the 1976 signal diagrams I recently received). Dual contracts was to run joint IRT-BMT service (and it only lasted from 1913-28 IIRC, and there really wasn't any IRT service in the area of the Fulton St el for the BMT elevated to share with. However, the chaining for Fulton St from north of Grant to Lefferts is BMT-K, taken from the old Fulton St el.

Also, fun little fact I picked up while looking through my books yesterday--it seems as though the Astoria line was classified as an IRT line until very recently (within the last 30 years). The signal diagrams show the "IRT Astoria line", and at the southern end of QBP, the BMT chaining ends and the IRT chaining (borrowed from the Flushing line) takes over. Very interesting IMO. Anyone know when the designation was changed to what it is today (I know that obviously it was after 76).

Here's one: What if the (E) was shut down for an entire weekend?

Hmm...sounds like a complicated issue, but I would simply have the (C) run in two sections: its normal route from 168-Euclid, and a second route replacing the (E).

I had thought up a more complicated service, but it didn't seem plausible seeing as this is just a weekend shutdown. If it were for a week, month, or longer, then my original plan might have worked.

Due to a Manhole explosion in Long Island City, the explosion impacted (E)(F)(G)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(7)<7>service. Note: There is no power in that section in Queens. How would you change service?

(E) trains are running between Jamaica Van Wyck to Jamaica Center.

(F) trains run in two sections-

1.From Jamaica-179 St to Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave via Queens Blvd Local

2.From Roosevelt Island to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave

(G) trains are running from Greenpoint Ave to Church Ave

(M) trains are running from Lexington Ave-53 St to Middle Village-Metropolitan Ave

(N) trains are running between Lexington Ave to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave

(Q) trains are running between 57 St-7 Ave to Coney Island-Stillwell Ave

(R) trains are running between Times Sq-42 St to Bay Ridge-95 St

(7) trains are running between Woodside-61 St to Flushing-Main St

<7> trains are suspended

Free shuttle buses are running from Jamaica Van Wyck(E) to Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike(E)(F)

Free shuttle buses are also running between Roosevelt Island(F) to Greenpoint Ave(G)

A third free shuttle bus is running from Vernon Blvd-Jackson Ave(7) to Lexington Ave-59 St(N)(Q)(R)

You only have one train on Queens Blvd? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I would have both the (E) and (F) run to Roosevelt Av/Jackson Heights, keeping the (F) as an Express.

You left out Astoria for service. I would run (S) trains between 39 Av & Ditmars, with a free shuttle bus from 39 Av to Lex/59 St.

I would have (E) trains also run from Lex/53 to WTC. With the frequency of trains, plus the double X-over, I think it could handle both lines as a terminal. Plus you have the tubes being used as defacto layups.

I'd also run the (7) between TSQ & Grand Central, because lord knows the (S) cannot handle all that passenger volume on its own.

-------

Here's one:

14 St/Union Square station closed due to major overhaul work (let's say several tunnel ceilings collapsed or something). Minimum of at least a week closure, so no trains are running through the station on all five platforms, (L)(N)(Q)(R)(4)(5)(6).

Here's one:

14 St/Union Square station closed due to major overhaul work (let's say several tunnel ceilings collapsed or something). Minimum of at least a week closure, so no trains are running through the station on all five platforms, (L)(N)(Q)(R)(4)(5)(6).

This is from a business perspective to minimize extra costs, rather than a foamer perspective with lines running everywhere and a million free shuttle buses.

(4) trains run local, terminate at Grand Central. No service in Brooklyn

(5) trains run via the (2) between the Bronx and Brooklyn

(6) trains terminate at Grand Central

(L) terminate at Bedford Ave in Brooklyn, no service in Manhattan

(N) trains operate in two sections:

1) Astoria to Times Square

2) 36th Street to Coney Island in Brooklyn

(D) trains run local in Brooklyn

(Q) trains operate between Prospect Park and Coney Island, no service in Queens and Manhattan

(R) trains operate via the (F) between Queens and Brooklyn