Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Go by the rule book or the signal guide you were given in schoolcar.

The flash cards can be handy, or you can make them yourself from the rule book. There's someone that distributes them, depending on who your instructors are, sometimes you can get the hookup. The problem is the wording is very close (Not Exact) from the rule book on the flash cards.

With the write ins, if there is ANY discrepancy between the right answer and what you wrote (or if it's vague) you want to point to something TRANSIT gave you when justifying your answer to schoolcar. That means whipping out a flashcard won't save you in a question dispute. But the rulebook or schoolcar signal guide will. Which is why I always recommend those.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SubwayGuy is right on the money. I havent taken my signal exam yet, but we have practice exams, both multiple choice & written. So far, I've aced them, but only because I have studied them and with regard to write ins, make sure you have the wording down. At first you may get some wording mixed up or putting the meaning into your own words, but thats what your instructors are there to do. Help you clean up your meanings and make them sound "textbook". Make sure to be on point when describing a signal (EX. Approach, not proceed or Proceed not approach.) Those words can pass you or fail you. A signal may look the same, trust me, they're not. Also when studying, dont rush. I give myself 2 hrs a night and it took me this long to get them down word for word. Also for you guys coming in, get to know your classmates, exchange #'s and get to locations early. Getting there early and studying/quizzing classmates can help you further. Good luck to the guys starting Monday. Its an adventure and can be a long lasting career that can be exciting. Again.....Good luck and have fun and dont be intimidated being new. Just do what your told and you'll be fine.

Edited by WestEndMan

My list # is in the mid 3,000's, people told me in the beginning I will be lucky if they get me. Well here I am. And they should be calling in the 3,000's-3,100's in Oct. Now, from I also "heard" if your blood pressure is OVER 140/90 your out? Is that true? Also, can anyone clarify what else can disqualify you? Like the EKG, hearing, vision tests??? Thanks...

Good luck to the ones starting tomorrow. Took and passed the signal test this past week. Out of the 42 of us that we're split up into 4 classes we lost three because of the multiple choice. Trust me guys as long as you study you will not have problem with this test. I know I'm the beginning it's scary because of the unknown and the fact that you lose your job. But as long as you put in the time to study you will not have an issue. Last week until yard posting then yx for three months. Guys just stay in the books and you will be ok. Oh one more thing Lean on each other in your classes it will help.

Good luck to the ones starting tomorrow. Took and passed the signal test this past week. Out of the 42 of us that we're split up into 4 classes we lost three because of the multiple choice. Trust me guys as long as you study you will not have problem with this test. I know I'm the beginning it's scary because of the unknown and the fact that you lose your job. But as long as you put in the time to study you will not have an issue. Last week until yard posting then yx for three months. Guys just stay in the books and you will be ok. Oh one more thing Lean on each other in your classes it will help.

Congratulations. Don't let your foot off the accelerator, but the signal test is probably THE single most stressful part of schoolcar.

Now that it's out of the way, work on mastering your train control and ability to judge distances. These are probably the two most useful skills a T/O can pick up when they are new. Remember that train control differs widely by equipment class, and that every individual train handles differently within the loose guidelines of its car class. Work on building those skills, they will serve you well for life.

And when YX, practice your station stops when you are transferring, laying up, or putting in a light train! It's free practice! Any idiot can go 15 bypassing a station, so try to hit the stop marker perfectly, even challenging the station just to try it provided the leaving signal is clear (since no one is on your train, and you're not making a real station stop, you can experiment and if you overrun no big deal - just something to work on for next time). Get all the practice you can while you're YX, quick station stop to practice, release brakes, and keep it moving. Again, it will only help.

And one more thing - keep notes on these places, especially yards. It's a lot, but it will help you out when you go to YX on your own, and should you successfully complete schoolcar, when you come out on your own as an XX. XX's do get yard and station switch jobs from time to time as well. And always remember...if you're not sure, ASK!

Good luck!

Edited by SubwayGuy

Congratulations. Don't let your foot off the accelerator, but the signal test is probably THE single most stressful part of schoolcar.

Now that it's out of the way, work on mastering your train control and ability to judge distances. These are probably the two most useful skills a T/O can pick up when they are new. Remember that train control differs widely by equipment class, and that every individual train handles differently within the loose guidelines of its car class. Work on building those skills, they will serve you well for life.

And when YX, practice your station stops when you are transferring, laying up, or putting in a light train! It's free practice! Any idiot can go 15 bypassing a station, so try to hit the stop marker perfectly, even challenging the station just to try it provided the leaving signal is clear (since no one is on your train, and you're not making a real station stop, you can experiment and if you overrun no big deal - just something to work on for next time). Get all the practice you can while you're YX, quick station stop to practice, release brakes, and keep it moving. Again, it will only help.

And one more thing - keep notes on these places, especially yards. It's a lot, but it will help you out when you go to YX on your own, and should you successfully complete schoolcar, when you come out on your own as an XX. XX's do get yard and station switch jobs from time to time as well. And always remember...if you're not sure, ASK!

Good luck!

^^^^^ What SubwayGuy said... Just because you passed that signals quiz just means you go on.

The "practical" part of the job now you start to learn.

Station stops familiarization with terminals, yards certain procedures you must do when laying up trains.

What to say on the radio when IDing yourself with lay ups. When you are YX keep notes on things and always ask! You don't understand a move get them to show you again!

Good luck!

^^^^^ What SubwayGuy said... Just because you passed that signals quiz just means you go on.

The "practical" part of the job now you start to learn.

Station stops familiarization with terminals, yards certain procedures you must do when laying up trains.

What to say on the radio when IDing yourself with lay ups. When you are YX keep notes on things and always ask! You don't understand a move get them to show you again!

Thanks guys. In school car you don't really have the time to operate as much as you need to. I'm so looking forward to yx to learn this job. Im in the A and we were going down the road on the 6 and coming into one of the stops we got a bottom green on the homeball and we ending up diverging. It's the little things like that I can't wait to learn. You guys are right about judging your distance it's something that everyone needs to work on and what better time then yx. Can't wait to ask you guys some more questions in the crew room.

I just received a letter over the weekend stating to go in for medical...I thought I was going to get a call??? Has anyone else received anything via mail or phone for October's class?

If it's the first letter you got from Transit, it will just be for a drug test.

You will come back for the Medical, that appointment you will get a phone call for.

If it's the first letter you got from Transit, it will just be for a drug test.

You will come back for the Medical, that appointment you will get a phone call for.

So what you saying Subwayguy,  is that I might be going in for a DT again. This is my third letter. First two were for the DT. How long do they keep the DT results on file? 

So what you saying Subwayguy,  is that I might be going in for a DT again. This is my third letter. First two were for the DT. How long do they keep the DT results on file? 

They keep it on file for 90 days, but they will call you in before that 90 day period is up to take another DT or to come in for the full medical. For Me I took two pre-screening drug test's about sixty days in-between each other, after the second test I was call backed within about a week to go in for a full medical. 

Today was my first day of orientation. It was just a ton of information and filling out forms for 401k, health insurance, vision, dental, medical etc... Then there was the basic Equal Employment Opportunity stuff they go through at any job (sexual/mental/physical) harassment. Not to mention speeches from everyone who were just plain drilling into everyone's head not to mess up on silly stuff (lateness, abuse of sick days). It's crazy just how much administrative stuff they have to go through with you. We were there for eight hours, and although at times it went slow I felt like I could have stayed there a little while longer just to make sure I got all my paper work right. Everything seems to humming along now. 

I received my second letter last weekend to come on on Sept 30 for the DT again. I just got released from a medical hold on Sept 24. I was placed on the hold back in July.

My number is 27XX (low end). They told me to expect a call within 2 to 90 days. I'm cool with the wait.

Not sure if anyone knows but I found out today at day 4 of training that you will need a large carry bag without straps or wheels and no backpacks! This is to carry all equipment including books at all times with you. I haven't gotten mine yet and may be looking at an extra large size. I will know better tomorrow after we receive our equipment.

Not sure if anyone knows but I found out today at day 4 of training that you will need a large carry bag without straps or wheels and no backpacks! This is to carry all equipment including books at all times with you. I haven't gotten mine yet and may be looking at an extra large size. I will know better tomorrow after we receive our equipment.

A good large book bag will work for the whole time in school car.

A good large book bag will work for the whole time in school car.

Nope... I'm in the same class. They basically told us no backpacks and nothing with straps. It's been an interesting first week, a little disorganized.  It wasn't until today when we first met our TSS' that we saw some order. I can't wait to really start class where its just us and our TSS'. They seem to really have their stuff together.  

Nope... I'm in the same class. They basically told us no backpacks and nothing with straps. It's been an interesting first week, a little disorganized.  It wasn't until today when we first met our TSS' that we saw some order. I can't wait to really start class where its just us and our TSS'. They seem to really have their stuff together.

That's crazy because in my class we all have back packs I'm only two months in front of y'all. What did they say carry?