Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well i received my congratulations you passed notice...then a DQ notice a few weeks later citing i didn't meet the 5 years work experience requirement. Which is BS because all of my work history before the filing shut off date equals 6 years and 2 months. Yes there are gaps in employment, due to jobs being part time and provisional...all i could find until 2003. gaps i pointed out on the first appeal which was denied. Then i showed them my work history, gaps in employment, my resume...which at the time was dated from 1995 - 2008.

I read the original application from DCAS and saw part time experience will be pro rated. I asked a DCAS employee (one of the women you see if you ever had to change information or file an appeal at 1 Centre st) what does that mean. She told me that if your part time experience puts you over the minimum required, they would rate it and add it to your full time experience and everything should be alright...well it wasn't because i was denied again.

I applied directly to the civil service commission, however i was late in doing so. Being on public assistance and running back and forth to offices and wep assignments more brutal than people think. However, they did take my paperwork, which included a hand written statement, my resume, detailed dates and places of employment, social security and IRS abstracts of my employment history. Still i was denied.

Now my only choice is to get a lawyer to go over the entire thing, which i have done. This just isn't right. They had no reason to DQ me because even with gaps of employment, I am qualified to be on the list...even by DCAS' own definition. I honestly believe i was unfairly DQed. I refuse to let it go, and i'm not shuttin' up.

Thoughts?

I got the same letter like a year ago, and then last week I called DCAS (just out of curiosity) to see if I was still on the list, and I was. I even when down to 1 centre street to speak to them personally and they said I was on the list and eligible they gave me my list# and score. So I would call just to make sure or go down there personally

I got the same letter like a year ago, and then last week I called DCAS (just out of curiosity) to see if I was still on the list, and I was. I even when down to 1 centre street to speak to them personally and they said I was on the list and eligible they gave me my list# and score. So I would call just to make sure or go down there personally

Your letter sounds like an error. They are dead set on taking this away from me because i was denied 3 times on appeals. I'm not going back down there without my lawyer.

Your letter sounds like an error. They are dead set on taking this away from me because i was denied 3 times on appeals. I'm not going back down there without my lawyer.

Seems like either DCAS didn't consider your p/t jobs to be p/t-enough to be prorated into the requirement and/or your gaps in employment took into account. Regarding the latter, they probably require continuous employment that would meet the 5 yr. requisite instead of gaps(ex: more than 4 months w/o a job) in-between.

• 2 weeks later...

what i would like to know is, how were they able to verify our high school diplomas and college credits already? i didnt send them a transcript for either yet and they said i passed. i know for the work experience they just look it up at the social security administration. but can they do that for the education requirement too? just wondering

• 2 weeks later...
what i would like to know is, how were they able to verify our high school diplomas and college credits already? i didnt send them a transcript for either yet and they said i passed. i know for the work experience they just look it up at the social security administration. but can they do that for the education requirement too? just wondering

They weren't verified. Based on a review of your package, your application met the requirements.

When you're called, you'll have to substantiate your claims.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on my situation. I contacted a lawyer, met with him, gave him 2 copies of ALL my documentation from the IRS and SSA, he said he'd look it over and to get a copy of my college transcripst and send it to him...i did. That was early February. I have not heard from him since and i cannot get into contact with him. I do not know whether he's dead or alive. Bad to WAY the F%&$ worse! I'm at my wits end!

Seems like either DCAS didn't consider your p/t jobs to be p/t-enough to be prorated into the requirement and/or your gaps in employment took into account. Regarding the latter, they probably require continuous employment that would meet the 5 yr. requisite instead of gaps(ex: more than 4 months w/o a job) in-between.

None of my rejection notices say anything like that. An employee at the window where you go to change addresses/names/challenge score/etc...said "as long as your PT work is enough to get you over the barrier, it would be accepted" My mistake was not getting that on tape because she wasn't willing to put that in writting. If this is truly the case then obviously someone who's supposed to look it over is refusing to do their job fully as it pertains to me. Because if it wasn't enough, i would imagine they would explain it clearly on the notice instead of one general sentence.

None of my rejection notices say anything like that. An employee at the window where you go to change addresses/names/challenge score/etc...said "as long as your PT work is enough to get you over the barrier, it would be accepted" My mistake was not getting that on tape because she wasn't willing to put that in writting. If this is truly the case then obviously someone who's supposed to look it over is refusing to do their job fully as it pertains to me. Because if it wasn't enough, i would imagine they would explain it clearly on the notice instead of one general sentence.

Are you sure that all of those jobs reported your income to the dept of labor? One of those jobs may not even be considered work experience by the DCAS definitions.

Are you sure that all of those jobs reported your income to the dept of labor? One of those jobs may not even be considered work experience by the DCAS definitions.

Yes, all but two are listed for some reason. Even without the two, i'm still over the hump by 8 months.

As has been stated NUMEROUS times on these forums, the Promotional List, 8562, must be exhausted first before they start hiring off of 8098.

From The Chief, printed today:

TRAIN OPERATOR

—279 eligibles between Nos. 195 and 833 on List 8562 for 60 jobs at NYC Transit.

• 1 month later...

Update: I've filed an Article 78 this past friday. The lawyer i've consulted is obviously not interested in my case because he hasn't responded to my emails or voice messages, so he can go piss on the 3rd rail. I've spoken to other attorneys in the civil service field, they are'nt interested either...so it looks like i'm on my own. Also on friday, while filling out a FOIL request for the application package i've submitted to take the exam, which lists all places of work, phone numbers, addresses, and exact start and end dates of employment from 1995 to 2008, i had an interesting conversation with the DCAS workers about two papers that were sent to me. Not sure if i should say what exactly so i will not say. But what i will say about one of the papers is they are wrong on that issue and their own paperwork shows it.

I sincerely hope the courts see it my way.

Update: I've filed an Article 78 this past friday. The lawyer i've consulted is obviously not interested in my case because he hasn't responded to my emails or voice messages, so he can go piss on the 3rd rail. I've spoken to other attorneys in the civil service field, they are'nt interested either...so it looks like i'm on my own. Also on friday, while filling out a FOIL request for the application package i've submitted to take the exam, which lists all places of work, phone numbers, addresses, and exact start and end dates of employment from 1995 to 2008, i had an interesting conversation with the DCAS workers about two papers that were sent to me. Not sure if i should say what exactly so i will not say. But what i will say about one of the papers is they are wrong on that issue and their own paperwork shows it.

I sincerely hope the courts see it my way.

I am sorry this is in no way related to the topic but;

20747056.jpg

Edited by trainguy97

Does anyone know what number you can call to find out what number you're on the list for train operator. I got a notice that's said I scored 83.5 but I misplaced the notice. I spoke with someone who works inside and said that they had a couple of classes in already back in November of 2011. I wasn't sure from what list. Information would be great.

Does anyone know what number you can call to find out what number you're on the list for train operator. I got a notice that's said I scored 83.5 but I misplaced the notice. I spoke with someone who works inside and said that they had a couple of classes in already back in November of 2011. I wasn't sure from what list. Information would be great.

Are you a promo or open competitive? If you are O/C with that score um yer outta luck bro sorry, good chance you wont be called...

• 1 month later...

Early this morning a little after midnight while waiting for Whiteplains Rd bound 2 train I was lucky to see a "not in service" R142 pass with a class of train operators (promotionals). Thier were about 6 of them crammed in the operators cab up front along with a few more sitting in the last car and 2 more in the rear operator cab. It was funny because I had a feeling that train was a school car because he entered the station very, very, very, very slow. Inched toward the 10 car marker stopped then proceeded out.

Man I cannot wait until the reach the O/C list......

Early this morning a little after midnight while waiting for Whiteplains Rd bound 2 train I was lucky to see a "not in service" R142 pass with a class of train operators (promotionals). Thier were about 6 of them crammed in the operators cab up front along with a few more sitting in the last car and 2 more in the rear operator cab. It was funny because I had a feeling that train was a school car because he entered the station very, very, very, very slow. Inched toward the 10 car marker stopped then proceeded out.

Man I cannot wait until the reach the O/C list......

Patience...

Are there any TSS or other people on the inside who would be able to tell us the last appointed promo list # on this exam? When was the last school car class and future ones?

Thanks!

Sounds good,Thanks RTO man and Y2Julio, I was really hoping Donald would have been the one to post some info instead of you because he usually has more accurate info than the people who have been working down there for 10+ years. hah

Edited by Warduke