Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow...what is going on here?  where is everybody? 

Anyway...I am patiently waiting the call for the physical now....DT done....called Ms.Shivers today but no answer all day....maybe she doesn't work Friday's ???

Quick question...was wondering ...  each classis split in smaller groups , right?  how many ppl per group per TSS???

Edited by traintrain

they say DTs take 2 weeks but I got mine back in one.

In the last class there were 50 T/Os and 40 conductors called. they split us up into groups of 10 with 2 TSS per group.

do you mind telling me when did you take your D/T and how long after that they called you for physical? did you make the july class? for me its been around 4 weeks since DT

they say DTs take 2 weeks but I got mine back in one.

In the last class there were 50 T/Os and 40 conductors called. they split us up into groups of 10 with 2 TSS per group.

So you say 40 conductors were in the july class? From what I have been reading in this forum the amount of conductors in a school car class has been 30. If the TA is increasing class size then both lists should move a bit faster now. Thanks for the info! Edited by Postal 1

do you mind telling me when did you take your D/T and how long after that they called you for physical? did you make the july class? for me its been around 4 weeks since DT

I did my DT in the middle of the week and the next Friday (8-9 days later ) I was called to take my medical on Monday. I did make the july 29 class, but I believe there calling it the august class. sounds like you just missed this class.

and yes there was 40 conductors in the last class

Edited by ant723

The July class was 50 T/O and 30 C/R, split into groups of 10 with 2 TSS's.

So...did u get your schedule? How is it going?

Do many t/o get sick from steel dust?

We got a schedule covering all of training except the three months in the yard since the crew office schedules that. We will be officially released March 2, 2014. It's going ok so far. Since I have previous knowledge of the basics it's actually been very slow and kind of boring for me. But it's only been two weeks so far. Once we get into the stuff i've never done it'll pick up.

Do the assigned reading, and if you have the time read some more. Don't do too much to confuse yourself, but keep up. Study signals everyday. I personally find it obnoxious when something (other than signals) has to be repeated a million times because one or two people didn't read or pay attention. Just focus. It's not like high school, you have to put effort into this.

Getting sick from steel dust is from build up over time, not something immediate.

Edited by poughkipsee

Ant says 40 conductors and Poughkeepsie says 30 in the last class which was July. So which is it ladies and gents?

And congrats to all who are being called for T.O. school car!

I also realize that this is a T.O. thread. I read a lot of threads in this forum. Info is where one finds it.

Edited by Postal 1

The July class was 50 T/O and 30 C/R, split into groups of 10 with 2 TSS's.

We got a schedule covering all of training except the three months in the yard since the crew office schedules that. We will be officially released March 2, 2014. It's going ok so far. Since I have previous knowledge of the basics it's actually been very slow and kind of boring for me. But it's only been two weeks so far. Once we get into the stuff i've never done it'll pick up.

Do the assigned reading, and if you have the time read some more. Don't do too much to confuse yourself, but keep up. Study signals everyday. I personally find it obnoxious when something (other than signals) has to be repeated a million times because one or two people didn't read or pay attention. Just focus. It's not like high school, you have to put effort into this.

Getting sick from steel dust is from build up over time, not something immediate.

thanks man, good info

please clarify what " being released" means and why so long? March 2 2014 is like 7 months from now... thought school car is about 100 days or so

Ant says 40 conductors and Poughkeepsie says 30 in the last class which was July. So which is it ladies and gents?

And congrats to all who are being called for T.O. school car!

I also realize that this is a T.O. thread. I read a lot of threads in this forum. Info is where one finds it.

well I believe Poughkeepsie is in that induction class so I would trust her.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

No disrespect to Conductors. BUT THIS IS A TRAIN OPERATOR/MOTORMAN format. Who gives a fu*k how many conductors this n how many conductors there. Come on guys....

And its a thread not format. I don't usually respond to people who ridicule others but this forum is for info about transit employment. What happens to on title may affect another. Mature adults who are respectful understand this simple concept. My intention is to gather what info I can that may be useful to myself and others. And as a point in fact you are not a train operator! You are just like a lot of us here trying to get the job!

thanks man, good info

please clarify what " being released" means and why so long? March 2 2014 is like 7 months from now... thought school car is about 100 days or so

A Div. is 85 working-days for schoolcar training. Right smack in the middle of that is three months of yard duty. The 3 months of yard duty isn't "posting". You will be yard qualified by then, and work on your own, more or less. That 3 month yard stint is however, separate from, and in addition to-- the 85 days. It's roughly 7 months in total. B Div. training is about 1-2 months longer, largely because of the additional equipment you will have to learn. A Div. uses two types of cars, while the B has 6 classes of rolling stock.

The July 29th class did in fact, contain 50 T/Os and 30 C/Rs. They were split into groups of 10; by title and division. Each group was assigned two TSSs (motor instructors.) As far as I know, C/R training is significantly shorter than T/O: about 6-8 weeks.

Being "released" is when you have successfully completed schoolcar and the associated yard duty. You are now yard and road qualified. You transition from "student" to "probationary" Train Operator. (Be advised, your training period counts towards your one-year probation. For example, a newly-minted A. Div. T/O will be on his/her-own as a probie for approximately five months. One year from your induction date (first day of orientation) and assuming your probation wasn't extended-- you have "secured your title".)

Hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Best of luck!

Edited by BrianRichards

A Div. is 85 working-days for schoolcar training. Right smack in the middle of that is three months of yard duty. The 3 months of yard duty isn't "posting". You will be yard qualified by then, and work on your own, more or less. That 3 month yard stint is however, separate from, and in addition to-- the 85 days. It's roughly 7 months in total. B Div. training is about 1-2 months longer, largely because of the additional equipment you will have to learn. A Div. uses two types of cars, while the B has 6 classes of rolling stock.

The July 29th class did in fact, contain 50 T/Os and 30 C/Rs. They were split into groups of 10; by title and division. Each group was assigned two TSSs (motor instructors.) As far as I know, C/R training is significantly shorter than T/O: about 6-8 weeks.

Being "released" is when you have successfully completed schoolcar and the associated yard duty. You are now yard and road qualified. You transition from "student" to "probationary" Train Operator. (Be advised, your training period counts towards your one-year probation. For example, a newly-minted A. Div. T/O will be on his/her-own as a probie for approximately five months. One year from your induction date (first day of orientation) and assuming your probation wasn't extended-- you have "secured your title".)

Hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Best of luck!

this is great info...thank you

it looks like B div ppl will have only a couple of months b4 end of probation after school car / yard ends...cool....

word around the rumor-mill today was that the (MTA) sent out a letter to retirees (all titles) asking them to come back to work because they are so short on qualified employees! this can't be good for those of you hoping to get into school car

Your telling me that those already collecting a pension and living a completely different life are REALLY GOING TO CARE, that the MTA are short on qualified employees??? That to me sounds more like a BIGGER FARCE than the conductor questions.