Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

word around the rumor-mill today was that the (MTA) sent out a letter to retirees (all titles) asking them to come back to work because they are so short on qualified employees! this can't be good for those of you hoping to get into school car

Ha this isnt a rumor..this is a fact folks have known about this since last week..

I posted the article in the General Forums.

BTW They are offering NOTHING as a instinctive to return..

From what im hearing folks arent cutting the mustard in Schoolcar...

What is this thing we call the yard again...? Retirement...NOOOOO!!! You cannot expect to give an entity half or more of your life and even more of your soul and expect anything of value in return.

The TO in the article i posted isnt coming back hes laughing actually at them...

Edited by RTOMan

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well am out there on the road and every time a TSS gets in my cab to evaluate me they talk about all the incidents the new train operators are having and how some of them have been terminated already.  Like RTOman is saying a lot of us rookies aren't cutting the mustard, those who have previous tittles are going back and those who don't are just gone. 

word around the rumor-mill today was that the (MTA) sent out a letter to retirees (all titles) asking them to come back to work because they are so short on qualified employees! this can't be good for those of you hoping to get into school car

Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooo, and I just re-enstated my name back on the list. So what do you guys think of the School Car classes for the last Monday of every month??

I was hoping to get into maybe a Sept or Oct Class, im list# 69* but I still have to take my DT and Medical, ill be dissappointed if I dont get in im sickkkkkk of my current job.

For the current MTA TOs seeing what ppl are posting here with rookies messing up, and others saying retirees arent going to come back for nothing. What does the future hold in your opinion.

Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooo, and I just re-enstated my name back on the list. So what do you guys think of the School Car classes for the last Monday of every month??

I was hoping to get into maybe a Sept or Oct Class, im list# 69* but I still have to take my DT and Medical, ill be dissappointed if I dont get in im sickkkkkk of my current job.

For the current MTA TOs seeing what ppl are posting here with rookies messing up, and others saying retirees arent going to come back for nothing. What does the future hold in your opinion.

They need people and they are going to keep hiring, listen just becasue you get into school car doesn't mean the job is automatically yours, you have to put in the hard work and have to sacrifice a lot but in the end the Job is worth it.  A lot of people aren't cut out for the crazy hours and schedules they have but you will find that out when you get in so don't worry they will call you just be ready when that happens and know ahead of time that this won't be easy.  Its a grind but like Elantra said you take it one day a time and before you know it 25 years in and ready to retire.

They need people and they are going to keep hiring, listen just becasue you get into school car doesn't mean the job is automatically yours, you have to put in the hard work and have to sacrifice a lot but in the end the Job is worth it.  A lot of people aren't cut out for the crazy hours and schedules they have but you will find that out when you get in so don't worry they will call you just be ready when that happens and know ahead of time that this won't be easy.  Its a grind but like Elantra said you take it one day a time and before you know it 25 years in and ready to retire.

Thanks Etrain appreciate the words of wisdom. Ive always wanted to be a TO its almost a dream on mine, now that being said my current job is a disaster we have no organization I work crazy hours even my RDOs are being taken away and we change job duties everyday like underwear. I know the MTA isnt going to have the greenest grass but at least theres structure and ppl know there jobs. And Im a very confident person as far as my learning level so I would embrace schoolcar and like you said take it seriously which I would. Thanks again for the info hope to see many of you down under soon =)

Hey everyone! Been following this forum sometime now. List #21xx. Fingers and toes crossed. Question, why are so many new TO ' s dropping out or getting booted. Not to be insensitive. But from what I have read it seems like the possibility of getting called off the list is becoming more real. Aside from the hectic work schedule and the constant supervision and scrutiny from your supervisors and peers, which I recognize as being stressful. What else involved that is washing out new TO's. I would like to get a better sense of the position. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Quick questions gents. As far as footwear can I wear the Nike boots? (ACGs)

As per MTA rule you must wear their footwear.....unless you get a Dr.s note. The shoes you wear after that must be approved by the MTA. Not sure what they would approve though. In my opinion, if you do that, now they know you have bad feet.......

Edited by Gherigfan1

As per MTA rule you must wear their footwear.....unless you get a Dr.s note. The shoes you wear after that must be approved by the MTA. Not sure what they would approve though. In my opinion, if you do that, now they know you have bad feet.......

There's currently no longer a contract with Saf-Guard. Call the Union & they will further instruct you on what type of footwear to purchase and will be approved by TA. I'm doing the same in the morning.

p.s. System Safety and SDOT will be no help with this issue. They say we're stuck with one pair (we only got one pair at the beginning of school car) until there's a new contract agreed to.

Edited by kevinetics

So from what the article says these retirees are running Equipment Trains Post Sandy?? Not Revenue Service Trains?? Man it sounds crazy down there is there that much shortage of manpower down there?? It says 3400 T/Os how many does the MTA need to run smoothly??

Well this is just pure speculation but the next class may not get the call as scheduled. School car is now all hands on deck. A train derailed in the yard with a 3 months posting student at the controls.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anything was wrong with the operator's operation as I am out of the loop on most of the facts

Regardless all students are being called back to PS 248 so this is going to put a strain on the already thin availability of school car TSS' and pending on how long this lasts could effect the next round of new classes.

Edited by RTOPRO

Well this is just pure speculation but the next class may not get the call as scheduled. School car is now all hands on deck. A train derailed in the yard with a 3 months posting student at the controls.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying anything was wrong with the operator's operation as I am out of the loop on most of the facts

Regardless all students are being called back to PS 248 so this is going to put a strain on the already thin availability of school car TSS' and pending on how long this lasts could effect the next round of new classes.

Yep,.we got the bad news today. Everyone has to go down to P.S. 248 to hear from one of the top brass at the MTA. From what I was told the person split the switch and derailed in the yard. Alot of people dont seem to be up to the task of operating even in the yard. Also, From what I heard, a conducter who was in our induction class came to a yard with a gun, was arrested and held on $25,000 bail. Edited by Dandre

what do you mean everyone has to go down to ps 248? everyone in schoolcar And those of us doing 3 months in the yard? just for one day or are they cancelling the program on the spot?

Our class was told today to report to P.S. 248 this Friday, 0800 sharp. Something to do with an "incident" at CIYD. TSS said all probationary/student T/Os are being summoned. TSS also mentioned that supervision will be working extra hours tomorrow critiquing the operation of senior motormen. It's a big to-do about safety, I imagine. No details on the "incident" except it was a possible derailment (and subsequent coverup attempt) by a student on 3 months yard-duty. NEVER ATTEMPT TO COVER IT UP! Everybody makes mistakes-- especially newbies! A mistake can and will be forgiven for an otherwise trustworthy operator. What will not be forgiven is lying.

I expect a few brief speeches from big-shots (Superindentents, Schoolcar Director, maybe an ACTO), but mostly counseling from TSSs and a bunch of videos. Be a professional and try to stay awake ;)

Edited by BrianRichards

Our class was told today to report to P.S. 248 this Friday, 0800 sharp. Something to do with an "incident" at CIYD. TSS said all probationary/student T/Os are being summoned. TSS also mentioned that supervision will be working extra hours tomorrow critiquing the operation of senior motormen. It's a big to-do about safety, I imagine. No details on the "incident" except it was a possible derailment (and subsequent coverup attempt) by a student on 3 months yard-duty. NEVER ATTEMPT TO COVER IT UP! Everybody makes mistakes-- especially newbies! A mistake can and will be forgiven for an otherwise trustworthy operator. What will not be forgiven is lying.

I expect a few brief speeches from big-shots (Superindentents, Schoolcar Director, maybe an ACTO), but mostly counseling from TSSs and a bunch of videos. Be a professional and try to stay awake ;)

Dont be fooled if they say next boo boo and folks will get clipped either..

They are super PISSED...

New TOs cant even do a simple Lay Up a hell of a lot of incidents(I see the reports)

How in gods name are they going to react with people on their trains?

I made a post about this in the Thread i made in The other part of the forums.

Yep,.we got the bad news today. Everyone has to go down to P.S. 248 to hear from one of the top brass at the MTA. From what I was told the person split the switch and derailed in the yard. Alot of people dont seem to be up to the task of operating even in the yard. Also, From what I heard, a conducter who was in our induction class came to a yard with a gun, was arrested and held on $25,000 bail.

Seen the Pics its not pretty either TD YTD and TO all went Downtown... Big boss out for blood  :(

Oh im sorry add to the *rumor mill* of a few TOs failing a signals Quiz...

Edited by RTOMan

Let's face the facts. When a probie split a mountain worth of switches last year in a yard "keying-by" low home signals they came up with this idea to fix it just like they come up with the concept of GTs to fix fast operations in restricted areas.

Fact of the matter is mistakes happen but it's time to develop a sense of accountability and integrity when it comes to operating. They tell you not to think about the people on the train and to just move it from point A to point B safely but it could be anybody on that train. Your mother/father/sister/brother/son/daughter/etc. Would you want to put a train on the ground and attempt to unsafely cover it up with them on it?!?!