Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Let's face the facts. When a probie split a mountain worth of switches last year in a yard "keying-by" low home signals they came up with this idea to fix it just like they come up with the concept of GTs to fix fast operations in restricted areas.

That actually happened before back in 2002 Mosh Yd TO split a few switches before CR knew something was up and puled the cord on a Put in..  

That October 29th class(Mine) is legendary due to those 12 TOs who screwed up big time...

Now the ones who are left are doing quiet Well...

Some are TSS's some are Dispts...

Some like me just move the trains and stay out of trouble...  :)  :)  :)

Edited by RTOMan

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep,.we got the bad news today. Everyone has to go down to P.S. 248 to hear from one of the top brass at the MTA. From what I was told the person split the switch and derailed in the yard. Alot of people dont seem to be up to the task of operating even in the yard. Also, From what I heard, a conducter who was in our induction class came to a yard with a gun, was arrested and held on $25,000 bail.

ha ha ha. A conductor came to the yard with a gun? Not bright, that is a felony n automatic disqualification.

its both divisions of classes who are still in traiain or soon to be in the yard.

the oficial version is the dudes train was a little past the low home signal. he didnt see it and just paid attention the the home signal infront of him. he started to split the switch and stopped. yard dispatch said yo you almost split the switch. change ends and go back and thats when he derailed.

they are giving us a talking to and top brass is here. we are going to have to watch videos etc..

You never pull a train back on a incomplete move never..

Unless you walk outside it first and see that jack. He also did not ask for permission.. Another big no no. That's Schoolcar 101. All you folks gonna feel the heat behind this no matter which Div you in. Chit rolls downhill here..

its both divisions of classes who are still in traiain or soon to be in the yard.

the oficial version is the dudes train was a little past the low home signal. he didnt see it and just paid attention the the home signal infront of him. he started to split the switch and stopped. yard dispatch said yo you almost split the switch. change ends and go back and thats when he derailed.

they are giving us a talking to and top brass is here. we are going to have to watch videos etc..

Since we have been released to the yard for a month and a week now, maybe we won't be summoned. Whatever it is, it is.

You never pull a train back on a incomplete move never..Unless you walk outside it first and see that jack. He also did not ask for permission.. Another big no no. That's Schoolcar 101. All you folks gonna feel the heat behind this no matter which Div you in. Chit rolls downhill here..

Not true ..A division was sparred going to 248

Negative. I'm A Div. and I was there, along with a couple other A Div. classes.

It was just a reiteration of things already reiterated countless times. Read your iron, recognize your signals, receive permission-- that good stuff. Mr. Lambert and his team made an appearance. Watched a few vids, received a few (duplicate) bulletins, etc.

I was (shocked?) at some of the dodos who posed idiotic questions/comments yesterday, under the microscope with TA brass in the room. Keep that foolishness to yourself, or ask someone on the side. Then again, makes you think that maybe these sessions ARE neccesary for the few who "still don't get it"...

Anyway, to clarify my earlier speculation about the T/O's actions in CIYD: evidently he/she DID NOT attempt to conceal the mistakes. T/O statement was read to us, and he/she was very honest about the whole thing. T/O failed to acknowledge Yellow Low-Home right next to train-- as well as trailing point switch NOT set for the train. Bypassed the jack without obtaining permission, then split the switch. YD "saw it" unfold "through the window" and advised T/O may have split switch. Advised T/O to change ends and BOOM-- derailment. T/O and YD both in some doodoo. T/O supposed to know: check your train (walk around it) and KNOW you're behind a jack. Obtain permission to proceed. Observe that switch ahead of you is set properly. If you have a run-through just STOP and call for help. Don't follow YDs lousy advice to change ends. This T/O screwed up. Will he/she keep job? I doubt it, but being forthright with the investigators helps.

All I'm trying to do, is learn this job, do it well, and stay outta trouble. Learn from the mistakes of others, absorb as much knowledge as I can, and take it one day (one move) at a time. I wish the same for everybody else out there. Be safe, and be smart!

Wow alot of stuff going on here. This sounds like any other job you have some people that dont deserve the job, I have ppl I work with now that are so out there and sounds like this has its ppl a few fries short of a happy meal. How do you show up to a job to operate a train full of ppl drunk and come onto TA Property with a gun?? It sounds to me that ppl with common sense and want to learn make it here, what ashame.

Also any news on future classes now after this mess anybody get any letters to come down for Medical or D/T??

Negative. I'm A Div. and I was there, along with a couple other A Div. classes.

I was (shocked?) at some of the dodos who posed idiotic questions/comments yesterday, under the microscope with TA brass in the room. Keep that foolishness to yourself, or ask someone on the side. Then again, makes you think that maybe these sessions ARE neccesary for the few who "still don't get it"...

Exactly, some of the questions and complaints were out of control. People complaining about walking on the elevated structure, complaining about the size of the ballast rocks in the yard, complaining about the time off between tours or even complaining about uniform issues. This was a meeting brought together because of a yard incident and it was to stress the subject of safety and doing your job right. Alot of people  just dont have common sense and really dont belong there. I can see atleast 1/4 of the people not being able to cut it out there.

Did they think it would be an easy cushy job when they applied for this? One guy basically threw his instructor under the bus when someone asked him about what they were teaching him.

Alot of people are lacking common sense.

Edited by Dandre

Exactly, some of the questions and complaints were out of control. People complaining about walking on the elevated structure, complaining about the size of the ballast rocks in the yard, complaining about the time off between tours or even complaining about uniform issues. This was a meeting brought together because of a yard incident and it was to stress the subject of safety and doing your job right. Alot of people  just dont have common sense and really dont belong there. I can see atleast 1/4 of the people not being able to cut it out there.

Did they think it would be an easy cushy job when they applied for this? One guy basically threw his instructor under the bus when someone asked him about what they were teaching him.

HA ! This is so true. I was sitting there cringing...those questions should've been pre-screened before presenting them to MTA brass.

Being in the yard already we seem to have been saved from making the trip to Brooklyn. We had a tss come and speak with us yesterday. He sat on train as we made moves as they do. Sucks for that guy or girl, but by the time you get to the yard you should know the basics of the job. 

Uh yeah i know somebody from the A Div who was there...

We got the Gist of what some of those Folks was saying in 248 Today at Parsons..

All i gotta say is some of them are gonna be in for a hell of a shock...

Wow just wow....

From what I see, TA has gone the way it is because of those with no common sense and the new generation of whiners/snitches...not cool. Get some sense and grow some. Take responsibility for your own actions and don't be crabs in a frikkin barrel. This job is extreme enough without hacks and quacks jackin up the system even more.

Peace

Also any news on future classes now after this mess anybody get any letters to come down for Medical or D/T??

Yes I have been called by phone to go in on Friday August 30, 2013 for my final processing. I did not receive a letter. My list # is 136X. I am going to call them on Monday to verify.

Precisely! You hit the nail square on the head.

Edited by BrianRichards

Accountability is a virtue. Face the reality of working with stuck couplers that need to bang out if you are cutting trains away. Be prepared to deal with incomplete job by previous shift for not hanging the barrier springs and not reporting the door is stuck to road car inspector to fix the problem. You are going to get moves where trains overhang a low home signal and you have to radio in for ready and permission to proceed. Safety is paramount in this job. If someone wants you to get things done in an efficient way with shortcuts, don't do it! Listen what schoolcar tells you and the rulebook. Cover yourself!

Yes I have been called by phone to go in on Friday August 30, 2013 for my final processing. I did not receive a letter. My list # is 136X. I am going to call them on Monday to verify.

They don't issue letters 4 final processing. U r good money n ready 2 go. Good luck on the medical. I hope u get it!!

DCAS r a**holes. Call 1-212-669-1357. Da phone hangs up on u, da list#'s r not updated properly, n 1 min your on da eligible list n da next min your not. What a FARCE!!!

True that. Same thing has happened to me on a few occasions. . Such crap.