Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I got all of that. The only thing missing is about vacation & sick leave the first yr. Back around '09, I tried Collection Agent, & I believe you start off with zero of both?

As far as your description of the job, yes, it sounds like a lot to get thru the first few years. It all depends on the person & their needs & desires. It's a great starting salary compared to many other jobs out there today, so that's a motivating factor to try your best. In my case, I'm 47, already retired from one job & collecting a pension. I currently have two part time jobs that are boring me to death. So, I'm looking for something interesting that I can learn something. How bored am I going to be in the extras spots and later in the better picks? Thanks for all your advice. I might bail. I'm in the 130's on the list.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't believe it's almost here. I'm #462 and on outstanding certification. I remember hearing something about the 1/3 rule a few yrs ago. What's with the one in three rule? I looked it up but am getting different info everywhere. Some say it's only for promo exams, others say they go down the list and pick 2, dq 1, pick 2, dq 1, others say they pick 1, dq 2, pick 1, dq 2. Someone else says it has something to do with 1 spot left and 3 candidates available, and yet another says they've only seen it applied to list 8006.

Should I be concerned with this? I'm having a hard time believing that after 3+ yrs of waiting, I can be knocked out just like that.

I am in the high 100's. Didn't get the call yet but I have a quick question. The very first time you go down to Livingston St, is that just for a drug test or drug test and fill out the background info? Also what background info are they going to require? Reason I ask is I don't remember all my past work info. I am guessing best thing to do is go down to SS and get a print out. Do they also ask for your driving record? I guess same thing with that, go down to DMV and get a printout of driving history. Any info would be a big help for everyone trying to get through the process.

I got all of that. The only thing missing is about vacation & sick leave the first yr. Back around '09, I tried Collection Agent, & I believe you start off with zero of both?

Yes, you start with zero your first year. You accrue 1 sick day per month for the first year. For transit holidays (New Year's, MLK, President's Day, Lincoln's Bday, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksiving, Christmas, and once you're off probation - your birthday), you can elect to receive 8 additional hours pay OR save a holiday as an AVA (additional vacation allowance) day. AVA's must be requested 20 days in advance and may not be granted, and you can only save up to 8 (I believe) of them. Personally I've never had that many, I use them as I go.

However one good thing about being extra extra is that you will get overtime which you can either elect to be paid for or given as OTO (overtime offset). You can save up to 72 hours in OTO, and it's treated exactly like an AVA when requested except it comes out of a different bank. Downside - while AVA's carry over from year to year, OTO doesn't. If you don't use it all up by the end of the year, you lose it (you do get paid for unused OTO though, but you lose the unused balance in your bank for requesting days off every year).

Vacation is picked every year, just like jobs. During your first year, you will accrue 1 day vacation for each month towards the vacation pick (you must be on payroll at least 15 days during the month for it to count - hence why schoolcar classes usually start at the end of the month) which you can pick in the fall for the following year. If you have less than a week accrued for the following year, you will have 0 vacation WEEKS, and must pick individual days "vacation in days"...then you can try to rely on AVA's/OTO to fill in the blanks if you hope to have a full week off.

If you have more than a week vacation to pick, but less than 2, you will pick one week vacation, and the balance in days. You can also opt to pick entirely in days.

With 2 or more weeks vacation, you can pick ## weeks, or you can opt to pick one or more of those weeks in days. The procedure will be explained to you once you start if you're interested, but it is an option, and one of the best ways to guarantee days off in advance for things you know what day they will be.

You will not be granted vacation just because you want it, it must be picked, and if a week or day is maxed out when it's your turn to pick, you've got to pick something different. Don't expect any vacation in the summer for many years, and good luck getting holidays off. But hey works for me, I like taking mine in the winter.

As far as your description of the job, yes, it sounds like a lot to get thru the first few years. It all depends on the person & their needs & desires. It's a great starting salary compared to many other jobs out there today, so that's a motivating factor to try your best. In my case, I'm 47, already retired from one job & collecting a pension. I currently have two part time jobs that are boring me to death. So, I'm looking for something interesting that I can learn something. How bored am I going to be in the extras spots and later in the better picks? Thanks for all your advice. I might bail. I'm in the 130's on the list.

The picks don't get really good until you've got a lot of time, but you can pick something you like and work on getting better jobs fairly early on - you'll just have to spend more time on the train than your senior coworkers, have a shorter lunch, have midweek days off, and the hours won't be as great (unless you actually LIKE the PM's). Picking is definitely nice though because you have control over your assignments (though the last to pick barely have any, and the very last one to pick has no choice, but I digress).

Being on the board is not boring if you plan ahead. Learn the facilities and their capabilities. Some places have better amenities than others. Also you can bring your own distractions to work and use them while on board, just don't get caught using them on the train or platform (aka in front of people) and you'll never have a problem down here.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Quick question, will an extensive work history get me dq'd? For example earlier on in my 10 year history that the application is asking for I jumped from job to job a lot and had small periods of unemployment. The moving around became better overtime but the longest job I've held was for 2 years total along with my current job which is 1 1/2 years so far. Will that look bad and DQ me since that will be added on to a summons i will have to list for an open container from years ago? I have my pre interview/medical on Monday.

I'VE GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET!!!!!!

Report at 180 Livingston St Monday, Oct 1st at 0730 hrs for pre-interview and medical examination.

Guess I'm not getting plastered this weekend at Celtic Classic. Does a kilt count as business casual?

No i suggest you come without wearing that or they will look at you real quick and its "medical hold".. Oh P.S NO Drinking before!!! They test you for alcohol and drugs..

Good luck cant say welcome yet till you are in Schoolcar though... :ph34r:

Edited by RTOMan

So guys, I have a question...

When choosing divisions, are there any pros or cons to A vs B? Are there general reporting locations for each, or are they spread out all over? Im coming from long island so I just wanted to see if either division was more convenient. And yeah I know this wont be an issue for a while with me ( list# mid 90's) but I am curious.

Thanks

You might not "choose" you may have to go where you are sent.... Since the Classes will be small where you may want to go is moot.

Put it this way if you live in Brooklyn or Queens Staten Island, Southern Jersey or Long Island the B Div works(Lettered Lines)..

If you live in Manhattan or the Bronx or upstate New York Or Northern New Jersey the A Div works(Numbered Lines). The 7 Line is the Only Line in the A Div that is in Queens though so thats the exception.

Edited by RTOMan

I'VE GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET!!!!!!

Report at 180 Livingston St Monday, Oct 1st at 0730 hrs for pre-interview and medical examination.

Guess I'm not getting plastered this weekend at Celtic Classic. Does a kilt count as business casual?

Mediccjh what list# are you

You might not "choose" you may have to go where you are sent.... Since the Classes will be small where you may want to go is moot.

Put it this way if you live in Brooklyn or Queens Staten Island, Southern Jersey or Long Island the B Div works(Lettered Lines)..

If you live in Manhattan or the Bronx or upstate New York Or Northern New Jersey the A Div works(Numbered Lines). The 7 Line is the Only Line in the A Div that is in Queens though so thats the exception.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know for the first couple years I'm pretty much not going to have any choice, just was thinking about long term.

Anyone??? A little advice would be great, dont want to screw this up. Oh btw list # 190s got the call today to report on Wednesday.

I am in the high 100's. Didn't get the call yet but I have a quick question. The very first time you go down to Livingston St, is that just for a drug test or drug test and fill out the background info? Also what background info are they going to require? Reason I ask is I don't remember all my past work info. I am guessing best thing to do is go down to SS and get a print out. Do they also ask for your driving record? I guess same thing with that, go down to DMV and get a printout of driving history. Any info would be a big help for everyone trying to get through the process.

Anyone??? A little advice would be great, dont want to screw this up. Oh btw list # 190s got the call today to report on Wednesday.

You will do a Drug Test/ Medical Exam required to fill out a 20 page background booklet all on the same day. Getting your Job History on paper from SS would not be a bad idea at least you know everything would be accurate you gave me a good idea there I dont know all the exact dates ive worked so thanks for the idea.

About the driving record I would assume they could get that from your drivers licence im sure you will have to give, but someone could chime in on that.

got the letter to report on monday. this a godsend. i really want the job but i am worried about my criminal history that has been sealed and/or expunged. i am not sure if i should disclose it on the application. stupid things i did in my early 20s. ive always gotten a conditional discharge meaning you plead guilty to a lesser crime and as long as u stay out of trouble for one year the record is sealed. i never been incarcirated. just the one nighters in central bookings and i never had to pay bail and i always kept my court dates. i will be 30 in a few months and have my first child on the way. this would literally be a life saver for me. it would be devastating to lose out on this oppurtunity because of mistakes i made as a young adult. the view on life is much different when you are 21 22 as opposed to when you are 29 30. any thoughts or advice or if anyone has been in a similar situation and still got the job any info would be deeply appreciated. thank you.