Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

Hey guys I have one more question regarding a question on the 21 page booklet.

One question ask if you ever resigned because either you were forced to or quit because you thought you were going to get fired.  I was in a situation like this years ago with a company. Should I just leave it a yes or leave a yes and fully explain myself in the area marked "reason for leaving"  Currently I wrote just "resigned" in the reason for leaving area and a "yes" to that question.  I am paranoid now from some of the responses that I read. Some say just write what they ask, no more, no less and some say lay it all out on the 21 page booklet so you have no worries sleeping at night because you were honest and forthcoming to every little detail ?

Be honest with your answers, because they do check up on things and I have seen people get terminated this year for not disclosing things in their background check which is what the 21 page booklet is about.  You do sit down with an investigator after you pass your medical and he or she will ask you questions regarding what you put on that booklet, that will give you a chance to explain yourself and let them know your side of the story if they even ask you about it.  Unless you have a pattern of just quiting all of your other jobs I wouldn't worrry about it but if you dont disclose it and they find out they will not be very considerate of you no matter how well you being doing so far.  So be truthful and you will be fine. Congratulations and good luck.

Edited by Etrain

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be honest with your answers, because they do check up on things and I have seen people get terminated this year for not disclosing things in their background check which is what the 21 page booklet is about.  You do sit down with an investigator after you pass your medical and he or she will ask you questions regarding what you put on that booklet, that will give you a chance to explain yourself and let them know your side of the story if they even ask you about it.  Unless you have a pattern of just quiting all of your other jobs I wouldn't worrry about it but if you dont disclose it and they find out they will not be very considerate of you no matter how well you being doing so far.  So be truthful and you will be fine. Congratulations and good luck.

Thanks Etrain for your sound advice man. Greatly appreciate it !

I recall u stated in one of your previous post that u were in da 2,100's range. Did they call u for a drug test yet?Congratulations once again!!!

No letter yet. But I'm anxiously checking the mail everyday. I realize a letter is just the beginning and from the look of thing I'll be taking multiple DTs seeing that they are only at 1600 and I'm in the low 2100's but it will feel good to get an opportunity at a position like this.

Congrats to Tommy John. Keep us updated on what happens next week. If I read u right I'm some what worried about the job history. I'm over 40 and have had multiple jobs over the years. To many to list here but I have done everything from teaching high school to driving a tractor trailer. I'm gonna be filling that booklet up and then some with jobs and explanations of resignations and terminations. I am going with the mind set that I have to give them what they ask for and let them decide. I would rather know I didn't get the position as early as possible than get it and find out during school car or probation that a check comes back and they terminate me. I don't think there is anything in my history that would cause that but I rather err on the side of caution. I'm a pessimist. Well good luck to everyone out there and thanks to those guys that are in training and done with it that keep us people informed. All the info is greatly appreciated. Peace and happy turkey day to all

No letter yet. But I'm anxiously checking the mail everyday. I realize a letter is just the beginning and from the look of thing I'll be taking multiple DTs seeing that they are only at 1600 and I'm in the low 2100's but it will feel good to get an opportunity at a position like this.

Congrats to Tommy John. Keep us updated on what happens next week. If I read u right I'm some what worried about the job history. I'm over 40 and have had multiple jobs over the years. To many to list here but I have done everything from teaching high school to driving a tractor trailer. I'm gonna be filling that booklet up and then some with jobs and explanations of resignations and terminations. I am going with the mind set that I have to give them what they ask for and let them decide. I would rather know I didn't get the position as early as possible than get it and find out during school car or probation that a check comes back and they terminate me. I don't think there is anything in my history that would cause that but I rather err on the side of caution. I'm a pessimist. Well good luck to everyone out there and thanks to those guys that are in training and done with it that keep us people informed. All the info is greatly appreciated. Peace and happy turkey day to all

Thanks Axelt.  Don't congrats me just yet. I am a pessimist too.  Once I pass medical and pass the one year probation period then I can breathe a sigh of relief. Good luck to you too man ! Happy Thanksgiving to all !

Well Its been over a week since I took the piss test (las wednesday)  and No letter or call yet...Im hopin I made it past this first of many hurdles...I read here you would know within a week if u failed the DT ...So far so good...I know im not makin the december class given my list number is in the Low 2000 range..so maybe january-march classes..God willing...I need this like a patient on the list waitin for a transplant Tru Story....Keepin yall updated jus as yall do...God Bless...

Well Its been over a week since I took the piss test (las wednesday) and No letter or call yet...Im hopin I made it past this first of many hurdles...I read here you would know within a week if u failed the DT ...So far so good...I know im not makin the december class given my list number is in the Low 2000 range..so maybe january-march classes..God willing...I need this like a patient on the list waitin for a transplant Tru Story....Keepin yall updated jus as yall do...God Bless...

No news is good news in this case. A phone call to come in for the medical is what your looking for.

Quick question to the people who handed in their 21 page booklet.

Literally on day of medical when did you hand in your 21 page booklet?  Immediately when you got there? After medical? Before medical?

The reason I ask is I want to ask them for another booklet because I made some mistakes by writing on the wrong line, crossing it out and it looks sloppy. I don't want to hand in something looking like that. It doesn't look professional. I wanted to go today but it was closed.  I was hoping they would give me a booklet and I have time to rewrite it on the new one.

Thanks.

Question for anyone on the job or in schoolcar: do you sign on to the payroll when you start your shift or do you swipe in at a timekeeping machine (ie, Kronos)?

T/O's and C/O's sign a payroll. The dispatcher for the terminal or yard you are reporting to has it. During school car your TSS will have it with them.

Quick question to the people who handed in their 21 page booklet.

Literally on day of medical when did you hand in your 21 page booklet?  Immediately when you got there? After medical? Before medical?

The reason I ask is I want to ask them for another booklet because I made some mistakes by writing on the wrong line, crossing it out and it looks sloppy. I don't want to hand in something looking like that. It doesn't look professional. I wanted to go today but it was closed.  I was hoping they would give me a booklet and I have time to rewrite it on the new one.

Thanks.

You hand it in at the very end to your interviewer.

Postal1, thanks for the info. Yeah from what I have read on here school car is no "walk in the park". What PopsicleXGirl said also gives a lot of hope to many of us still waiting to begin the process. I guess they put people on hold for various issues and if they have the luck to resolve them they get reinstated and that would tend to slow the process a bit. I went back into the archives and this time last year they were at 300-400 list range. Meaning that in one year the list has moved about 1300 names. Not bad. I hope the trend keeps up. We'll keep hope alive.good luck to all waiting and to those already in school car.

T/O school car is really not that bad. While it is something that should be taken very seriously because it can lead to a good career don't let it psych you out. If you dedicate just 30 mins a day, more if you can, to studying you will not have any problems with school car. You know what they say, "It's only hard if you don't know the answer." I really think some people get off on spooking potential hires/rookies. Yes, some people flunk out but that is to be expected when you are dealing with a pass/fail situation. But some just decide it's not for them due to the crazy schedules or once they realize how physically and mentally taxing "pounding the road"(operating in passenger service) can be. And a few who come from another title, say bus operator, never have any intention of staying any way. Because they can go back to their previous title they look at school car as a sort of 6-9 month vacation.

T/O school car is really not that bad. While it is something that should be taken very seriously because it can lead to a good career don't let it psych you out. If you dedicate just 30 mins a day, more if you can, to studying you will not have any problems with school car. You know what they say, "It's only hard if you don't know the answer." I really think some people get off on spooking potential hires/rookies. Yes, some people flunk out but that is to be expected when you are dealing with a pass/fail situation. But some just decide it's not for them due to the crazy schedules or once they realize how physically and mentally taxing "pounding the road"(operating in passenger service) can be. And a few who come from another title, say bus operator, never have any intention of staying any way. Because they can go back to their previous title they look at school car as a sort of 6-9 month vacation.

The reason people say that is schoolcar is "relatively" the easy part compared to actually being on your own. However, if you don't take it seriously, and learn it (and keep studying/refreshing after you're done), you can get caught with your pants down on your own.

A lot of things you will only see once, but you'll need to remember. And you need to take it seriously. And a lot of people come in with the attitude of "why do I need to know that?" or "that's for the RCI, not me", or "well if anything THAT crazy happens, a TSS will be there." And that's just a bad attitude to have.

Take pride in your job, it DOES take skill. Don't just be a "stop and go" train operator. Know your job and keep learning every day. That doesn't end when schoolcar does. In fact, it really just begins.

The reason people say that is schoolcar is "relatively" the easy part compared to actually being on your own. However, if you don't take it seriously, and learn it (and keep studying/refreshing after you're done), you can get caught with your pants down on your own.

A lot of things you will only see once, but you'll need to remember. And you need to take it seriously. And a lot of people come in with the attitude of "why do I need to know that?" or "that's for the RCI, not me", or "well if anything THAT crazy happens, a TSS will be there." And that's just a bad attitude to have.

Take pride in your job, it DOES take skill. Don't just be a "stop and go" train operator. Know your job and keep learning every day. That doesn't end when schoolcar does. In fact, it really just begins.

Perfectly well put. 100% accurate...

I  got the pre-employment letter to come down to 180 Livingston on Nov. 18. After handing in my documents, as well as criminal dispositions which one was for a DWI in2008, I was told that my application was under review and I would receive a call or "letter" for further instructions. Should I be worried or is this procedure ?? My list # was in the 1800's. 

What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.

Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.

Check this link out. It's an article written from a t/o perspective. It's more for the new guys.

I'm not sure if anybody else already posted it.

http://www.themorningnews.org/post/train-operator

JoeGrind06. Wish I had an answer for your question. Go back to some of the earlier pages and see if u find any answers. There is a lot of good info here. At least till someone answers your question specifically.

That article I copied the link to in my last post gives a little idea of what the job is like and how you use your training everyday.

What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.

Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.

Not true at ALL. This attitude is the biggest problem with a lot of people coming in "off the street." There is something new to learn EVERY DAY you are down here.

Schoolcar gives you the bread and butter of what you need to know. Any more, and it would be too time intensive, and Transit wouldn't be getting their money's worth paying you from extended training. There are things, that you will just have to pick up on your own.

-Yes, you will have to learn lineups. No, you can't rely on the cards. No, you can't learn them all while posting. Yes, there are points of no return that aren't on the cards.

-You will learn various moves - turns, reroutes, layups, put-ins, etc. Hint hint: Not every "dump and change ends" move has a 10 CAR marker.

-You SHOULD learn how the signals really work. That's why I take the time to write guides about this subject in the Crew Room. Understanding the signals will make you a smoother, safer, and more efficient train operator.

-You will learn how to operate your train in all kinds of conditions. Rain, snow, sleet, "wintry mix", fall leaves, or any combination of the above.

-You will learn how to "adapt and overcome". You can be the baby that calls Control over every little thing requesting a TSS to come save you, or you can adapt and overcome, report the condition, and get it dealt with en route by an RCI. Or at the minimum, complete your trip and get the train laid up upon arrival at the terminal if it's something that needs to be fixed. You can be the T/O that runs the station due to long brakes, or the one that reports it and operates safely to the terminal.

-You will learn how to troubleshoot things that schoolcar doesn't even cover anymore. Energized application/release wires are not covered during troubleshooting in schoolcar, but you will find literature about those issues in your Route Guides (because they pre-date the modern curriculum). Just because they stopped training new T/O's for that problem, doesn't mean it stopped happening. At the very minimum, a good T/O should at least be able to identify when either is occurring. And "off the street" T/O's only spend a very small time on door problem troubleshooting. You will have to remember that procedure, but learning more about how to troubleshoot door problems could save you an en route ABD. Quick, it's almost lunch time. You're two stops from the terminal. Doors close...you don't get indication. Your conductor tells you he has indication for the rear, but not the front. All exterior guard lights are dark. All circuit breakers are on, and none have tripped. What do you do? Don't even think about hitting that bypass. But if you're getting ready to discharge that train already, you haven't troubleshot to the fullest...you just gave up your lunch break too soon. And you'd better try to troubleshoot quick cuz you've only got a few minutes before Control will tell you to discharge that train...they're not going to give you all day to find the problem, and if that train goes out of service, you'd better be damn sure it wasn't something you could overcome otherwise that car equipment charge just became an RTO charge....

-You will learn how to respond to emergencies. Schoolcar doesn't tell you how to deal with a 12-9 once it has occurred. Yet there you and your partner will be for a few minutes until all the first responders, superintendents, and TSS's show up. It doesn't tell you how to react when someone has committed a crime, or is packing heat, and now is on your train. It doesn't tell you how to handle a fight on the train or platform. YOU will need to learn the best ways to respond to these, and you can't always count on control to have your best interest in mind. Report a fight, and you might get asked, "are there any weapons being displayed?" Well if it's 3 cars back are you really gonna leave your position, go saunter over there, and go find out?

Schoolcar may cover 98% of what you need to know, and that's why it's what's focused on. It's already tough enough to cram everything that is done during schoolcar in as it is. But take it from me that the other 2% has gotten A LOT of people in trouble down here over the years.