Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.

Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.

I seriously hope you're not a T/O making a statement like this because "so have fun" is a big reason why so many new people don't cut it. Not because they can't but because they don't understand that they have to take this seriously. More seriously than they take most things in their entire life. Those are real live people we are responsible for and the minute we take it for granted incidents like the one that happened on Sunday can take place.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.

Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.

Your name tells it all "Wannabe TrainOp".

SubwayGuy: what does RCI and TOS stand for??

The reason people say that is schoolcar is "relatively" the easy part compared to actually being on your own. However, if you don't take it seriously, and learn it (and keep studying/refreshing after you're done), you can get caught with your pants down on your own. A lot of things you will only see once, but you'll need to remember. And you need to take it seriously. And a lot of people come in with the attitude of "why do I need to know that?" or "that's for the RCI, not me", or "well if anything THAT crazy happens, a TSS will be there." And that's just a bad attitude to have. Take pride in your job, it DOES take skill. Don't just be a "stop and go" train operator. Know your job and keep learning every day. That doesn't end when schoolcar does. In fact, it really just begins.What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.
All I gotta say is wow just wow... You can have fun enjoy the job but it's not a joke or should be taken lightly. You learn something new every day down here. You think once you out on your own and you got it easy you couldn't be further from the truth. Please don't waste TAs time if you got a attitude like that towards the job. Maybe you was joking.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What else are you going to be learning AFTER schoolcar that's going to make you a better train operator? Maybe route familiarization and getting a better feel for the different equipment but that's about it. Anything else you learn you certainly are not supposed to be employing in everyday operations or else schoolcar would've taught it to you. When you put 2 cars out the station try explaining that you cut out a breaker because you "learned" that it stops the train smoother.Learn what schoolcar has to teach you and take it seriously enough that you pass the class. But when you're out in revenue service you only use a fraction of what you had to memorize so have fun.I seriously hope you're not a T/O making a statement like this because "so have fun" is a big reason why so many new people don't cut it. Not because they can't but because they don't understand that they have to take this seriously. More seriously than they take most things in their entire life. Those are real live people we are responsible for and the minute we take it for granted incidents like the one that happened on Sunday can take place.
Noi don't think so the handle says wannbeTO so maybe that's a plus.. Hopefully the poster was joking.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for answering RCI. I already know what TSS stands for. I typed TOS. Tommy John in a previous post "terms of service". I suspect it may mean "transit operating system". Does anyone know?

In what context was it used? If it's on the internet, I suspect it's the typo'd plural of "T/O". Otherwise it's unclear where this originates from. TOS is not one of the many abbreviations we use consistently, it's one of the more exotic ones I've seen in these threads. DOS is Department of Subways though...

Edited by SubwayGuy

I passed medical ! Got out around 2:30pm.  Everyone who described medical is spot on.  Here is my breakdown and hope it helps somebody out here going for medical. I want to give back to this forum like how other people give back after their experience. 

1) I got there like 6:30am. Be sure to get there early like everyone stated because around 7am there is a FLOCK of people following the HR person up the elevator.  If you went for the D/T already you should know how that lady from HR looks like because if you don't follow her up the elevator you will be like #50 on line even though you were the first one there.  This crap happen to me when I went for the D/T.  The security guard wouldn't let me up to the 5th floor until the HR lady came. He told me I can go up AFTER the FLOCK of people followed her up. So I was like #50 on line which pissed me off. First one there yet I was like #50 on line.  When you first get your ticket # the front desk will give you another packet to fill out. Its for your primary beneficiary in case you died on duty and other miscellaneous forms.

2) The eye and hearing test for ME was no joke.  It was a lot tougher than expected. Especially the eye test. You have 3d holograms that you have to pick which of the 4 circles are 3-D.  There is a distance test (that one was tough for me).  There are lines 1 to 12. Passing is minimum line #7.  I just made it to line #9.  Then you have to see in your peripheral vision either left or right side of your eyes are the lights turned on. The eye exam is pretty thorough.  The hearing they put you in like a sealed "box" where you put on headphones and listen to directions from the headphones.  You press like a button (same like the game show Jeopardy) everytime you hear a sound. They test you thoroughly both left and right ears for me.  There was times I didn't hear any sounds for like 15 secs and I started to get paranoid. I am not sure if they do that on purpose or if I really couldn't hear the beeps.  Luckily I passed that. My hearing wasn't perfect from what the doc said but well in range for the job.  My suggestion IF you don't have perfect vision or cant see perfectly from far GET GLASSES.  I passed the ekg and blood pressure with flying colors.  The wait for the results from the doc was the most excruciating wait of my life.  I bit my fingernails down to the skin during the wait. LOL.

3) Got done with medical around 12pm. Then went back to the other side and handed in my booklet to the front desk, then waited till around 1pm. Sat down with investigator and went over the 21 page booklet.  Like everyone said on here DISCLOSE EVERYTHING.  I wrote like a mini novel on the 21 page booklet and she was like since you wrote a story I don't have any questions for you.  I was as specific as possible which led to her not having to question me at all.    Then sign more forms, then was sent to fingerprinting, then came back to her office, signed more forms, got my new employee books and packet, got sworn in and hired !  Afterwards got my picture taken for my ID which I will get 1st day at orientation.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask me as I am glad to help.

Edited by Tommy John

Well done. See you were getting anxious and everything worked out. Thank u 4 the heads up. Can u please be more specific on the blood pressure n EKG please?

Thanks brother, appreciate it.  Ok,  the EKG took about 30 secs literally. You go into a small room and take off your shirt and any metal objects on you (belt, phone, shoes if you have metal buckle, coins etc) then you lie down and the nurse attached a few "nodes" on your chest, arm, leg and the computer next to you prints out something and that was it.  The blood pressure is done first thing. Nurse took blood pressure on both arms.  Oh I forgot to mention after when you go see the doc for the results the doc checked your heartbeat with a stethoscope, front side then on your backside. Doc also checked my reflexes and asked me series of questions (kind of like the questionnaire you filled out in the beginning of medical at the computer)

Tommy John. Congrats! Question about eye test. I wear glasses and contacts. Have been wearing since I was 12 and now I'm 42. So vision is my concern. On a scale from 1-10 how would you have rated your vision B4 the exam. And would you rate it differently after the exam. Obviously this is your own assessment. Thanks for the detailed info. Glad to hear you got it. Good luck

Tommy John. Congrats! Question about eye test. I wear glasses and contacts. Have been wearing since I was 12 and now I'm 42. So vision is my concern. On a scale from 1-10 how would you have rated your vision B4 the exam. And would you rate it differently after the exam. Obviously this is your own assessment. Thanks for the detailed info. Glad to hear you got it. Good luck

Hi. Thanks man.  I went to the eye doctor after the D/T and before medical to have them checked. She said my eye sight is about 1 level below 20/20 and I really didn't "need" glasses.  Though I told her I want it perfect because I might need to take an eye test for a job and she gave me a prescription where I got some glasses. I was tested with and without glasses. Without glasses I was right around the passing line on the test which is a 7. I would say I read line #6 perfectly and most of line #7 but got some wrong. (my previous post I mentioned the eye exam you have lines 1 to 12, 12 being the furthest).  With glasses on I was able to read line #9.  You must have some superman vision to see lines 11 and 12 because I couldn't make out squat on those. I concur on what previous posters said about the eye exam that it was no joke.  A girl in front of me failed the exam. She could see line #10 perfectly but she got only 1 right on the 3-D hologram portion. Hope this helps. Good luck man.

For those of you that had to go down to Livingston Street for a second D/T because the first one had expired, did you have to hand in a filled out application again that was sent with your D/T letter or did they hopefully have your initial application on file with no need for a duplicate.  Any advice on this...  Good luck to you guys starting in the December class, Hope to see you there!

Passed the medical and got sworn in today. I will be in the Dec. 16 class. I was hoping for a Jan class so i could have more time to tie up loose ends at work. Unfortunately, the lady who swore me in checked and said that there aren't any other classes scheduled yet. This forum was very helpful and i will post anything i learn that hasn't been mentioned to help keep everyone informed. Thank you for all the insight. My list# 1650's

Passed the medical and got sworn in today. I will be in the Dec. 16 class. I was hoping for a Jan class so i could have more time to tie up loose ends at work. Unfortunately, the lady who swore me in checked and said that there aren't any other classes scheduled yet. This forum was very helpful and i will post anything i learn that hasn't been mentioned to help keep everyone informed. Thank you for all the insight. My list# 1650's

Congrats Bklynpsd!

For those of you that had to go down to Livingston Street for a second D/T because the first one had expired, did you have to hand in a filled out application again that was sent with your D/T letter or did they hopefully have your initial application on file with no need for a duplicate. Any advice on this... Good luck to you guys starting in the December class, Hope to see you there!

I had to take the D/T twice. Don't count on them. Fill out the paperwork. You're better off safe than sorry.

For people who took the signal exam do you recommend I start reading Chapter 3 on the Rules and Regulations book before I start school car or am I going to receive some other book for the signal test material ? Thanks

Edited by Tommy John

For people who took the signal exam do you recommend I start reading Chapter 3 on the Rules and Regulations book before I start school car or am I going to receive some other book for the signal test material ? Thanks

You will get a signals booklet. Study that. Over and over and over..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, I have these questions I hope someone can help me answer.

1) From what I read A division is around 3 months training and B division is around 5 months of training more or less because B division you have more train types to learn correct ? If so I assume the B division exams, quizzes will be harder because it covers more material ? There are no advantages of choosing B division ?

2) When exactly is the signal exam?  I read someone said its right in the middle of training but I also read from somebody else that it is at the very end of training ?

Thanks again guys and gals for answering my rookie questions. Damn I hate being a rookie in anything. lol.

Anyone else going to medical before the 16th?

Sorry, I have these questions I hope someone can help me answer. 1) From what I read A division is around 3 months training and B division is around 5 months of training more or less because B division you have more train types to learn correct ? If so I assume the B division exams, quizzes will be harder because it covers more material ? There are no advantages of choosing B division ? 2) When exactly is the signal exam? I read someone said its right in the middle of training but I also read from somebody else that it is at the very end of training ? Thanks again guys and gals for answering my rookie questions. Damn I hate being a rookie in anything. lol. Anyone else going to medical before the 16th?

A division training is 4 months and B division is 6 months also for now they are having train operators do 3 months in the yard halfway thru training in addition to the regular training. As far as the signals quiz dont worry about it you will have time to prepare for it I belive they give it to you before they sent you to the yard for 3 months. Dont get to far ahead of yourself, as long as you study and pay attention you will be fine.

Edited by Etrain