Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

How long does it usually take once you get hired to actually pick a job? And if anyone has the time to share what life is like on the xxlist? I would appreciate that. Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And lord knows it's not easy for me to get up and go to my current job while thinking about MTA all day everyday. It's definitely been a lesson in patience for me. Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life as an xxlister can be sweet as you'll almost definitely pick up a few hours of OT doing absolutely nothing. The problem is, suppose you pick up a full 8 hour job (usually the case) after say 4 hours on board and you clear at 3am in the morning and that same day you gotta report back to Transit at 12pm then for me that's not a lot of time left to yourself. HOWEVER, everyone has eaten this dozens of times and asked for more, so there's no complaining. Plus, after you see all that extra cheese on your check believe me this isn't something you are going to worry about. In fact several veterans pick extra board because there's usually more money in it as alot of jobs with built-in OT have been cut off. On another note sometimes you just sit around and watch TV, read, drink alot of water or play video games on your phone the whole 8 hours which can hurt your ass and back.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know that the file numbers are for those on probation, probably close to 4000.

Did you end up picking up something?

My file number is in the high 3700s. Got off Probation in November. I got an RDO Relief job.

To those who just got hired, congrats, and welcome aboard. I highly suggest reading through The Schoolcar Survival Guide (not to toot my own horn) as well as listen to the senior members here.

No I didn't get to pick. I was scheduled to pick this morning but all the jobs were gone (which is probably a good thing)

No I didn't get to pick. I was scheduled to pick this morning but all the jobs were gone (which is probably a good thing)

You better believe it was next pick though get ready yer picking.., enjoy the extra extra life five days pounding the road awaits! :). Well unless you pick extra list...

Life as an xxlister can be sweet as you'll almost definitely pick up a few hours of OT doing absolutely nothing. The problem is, suppose you pick up a full 8 hour job (usually the case) after say 4 hours on board and you clear at 3am in the morning and that same day you gotta report back to Transit at 12pm then for me that's not a lot of time left to yourself. HOWEVER, everyone has eaten this dozens of times and asked for more, so there's no complaining. Plus, after you see all that extra cheese on your check believe me this isn't something you are going to worry about. In fact several veterans pick extra board because there's usually more money in it as alot of jobs with built-in OT have been cut off. On another note sometimes you just sit around and watch TV, read, drink alot of water or play video games on your phone the whole 8 hours which can hurt your ass and back.

Yep some folks are Extra List for life down here they enjoy it... You wanna make money? Go extra list..

Edited by RTOMan

Well it depends on what's going on in front of you. What's going on right now is what I would call a once in a generation event. Hiring from a new list has been something that would "begin" on average once every 5 to 6 or 7 years for the positions of T/O and C/R. What makes this time so key is all of the simultaneous movement based on the last mass hiring. A lot of people in many titles are reaching the years of duty served as well as the age qualification for retirement. 25 years in duty, at least 55 years of age. 1988-89-90 was likely the key years. So retirements are happening no only for those who remained in road service as T/Os and C/Rs, but those who promoted up to TW/O, ATD, TD, TSS and even Supt are retiring and those who have already been around are moving up to replace them.

You new folks are coming in as this wind of change continues to grind out. So how long it takes you pick a job depends on when this all balances itself out. Folks are still retiring, the last TSS test still has an active list and T/Os are still being promoted to the position, The TD test was early last year and classes continue to come out regularly so more T/Os and ATDs are being promoted on that one. I think even the last ATD list is still active so an occasional class of C/Rs and TW/O are being promoted to that position. When it all finally settles down those who come in as XX will likely be XX for several years. My best guess would be 2 years and at that point the hiring from this T/O list will come to an end. Right now there is no end in sight.

Every 5-7 years for a T/o exam? Errrrr just made me cringe. How come there seems to be multiple yearly B/o exams but t/o and c/r exams are so few and far between? At least that'll give me some time to get my requirements right for that t/o exam, sucks that they're so rare compared to the bus title

You better believe it was next pick though get ready yer picking.., enjoy the extra extra life five days pounding the road awaits! :). Well unless you pick extra list...

Yep some folks are Extra List for life down here they enjoy it... You wanna make money? Go extra list..

I'd rather do a platform or road job. Sitting for 8 hrs with nothing to do? If that's what all new rookies must do then my probie year is gonna be mentally draining...

To those who just got hired, congrats, and welcome aboard. I highly suggest reading through The Schoolcar Survival Guide (not to toot my own horn) as well as listen to the senior members here.

Thanks for the congrats mediccjh. I have followed your post for a while and found them very helpful.

Couple of things to clarify in order to avoid misinformation:

-Probationary XX is entitled to 12 hours off between jobs. Otherwise, minimum 10 hours off between jobs (and they'll generally give you close to, if not more than, 12). Picked XL is entitled to 10.

-EVERYONE must have minimum 8 hours off between jobs. No exceptions.

-Rookies are not assigned to the board when they first come out. New rookies will be assigned to the road to learn it, then once over a month of familiarization has passed, then they will start to see board assignments mixed in with road, and even switching and yard jobs. Generally speaking the overwhelming majority of people who will be assigned to the board are extra extra, extra list, or personnel working an RDO who fell to the board, but there are enough jobs to go around that rookies and train operators who are XX are "only" on board.

-Train operators do not work platform unless they are restricted pending medical, an investigation (having a 12-9 counts, even if you've done nothing wrong), or are taken out of service/pending or settled discipline. XX Train operators will only be assigned YARD (YD), ROAD (RD/GD), STATION SWITCHING (SS), or BOARD (BD) jobs under normal circumstances, and are not eligible to work in work trains until they have 2 years in title. Also FYI, "GD" road jobs are road jobs created by a general order, which is a planned service change.

Couple of things to clarify in order to avoid misinformation:

-Probationary XX is entitled to 12 hours off between jobs. Otherwise, minimum 10 hours off between jobs (and they'll generally give you close to, if not more than, 12). Picked XL is entitled to 10.

-EVERYONE must have minimum 8 hours off between jobs. No exceptions.

-Rookies are not assigned to the board when they first come out. New rookies will be assigned to the road to learn it, then once over a month of familiarization has passed, then they will start to see board assignments mixed in with road, and even switching and yard jobs. Generally speaking the overwhelming majority of people who will be assigned to the board are extra extra, extra list, or personnel working an RDO who fell to the board, but there are enough jobs to go around that rookies and train operators who are XX are "only" on board.

-Train operators do not work platform unless they are restricted pending medical, an investigation (having a 12-9 counts, even if you've done nothing wrong), or are taken out of service/pending or settled discipline. XX Train operators will only be assigned YARD (YD), ROAD (RD/GD), STATION SWITCHING (SS), or BOARD (BD) jobs under normal circumstances, and are not eligible to work in work trains until they have 2 years in title. Also FYI, "GD" road jobs are road jobs created by a general order, which is a planned service change.

I'm soaking up every bit of priceless info. That these senior members are taking time out of their days to drop on us. Thanks SubwayGuy!!! And wassup Mard!! You're up next to bat!! Lol

Word!!!! I'm being patient. Reading all of these stories on here gives me hope. I know you know. So I'm just celebrating for you all until I get my shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word!!!! I'm being patient. Reading all of these stories on here gives me hope. I know you know. So I'm just celebrating for you all until I get my shot.

Thanks my dude!!! It's funny cause I (and every one else before me) was in exact same spot you were!! Now I've moved on to the next stage! It ain't over yet though! But I'm still waiting on your post!

I'll make sure I carry the torch for everyone that's made it. This forum has been a blessing for me because of all of you guys. So I will definitely continue to post and give out any new info I have

I'll make sure I carry the torch for everyone that's made it. This forum has been a blessing for me because of all of you guys. So I will definitely continue to post and give out any new info I have

Nah.... I'm just doing what others have done. This opportunity, and this forum is a blessing for me because this has always been my dream!!! I've always been a buff!! So this is a blessing man!! I'm just waiting on you!!

Absolutely. Well said. I'll keep you posted. As soon as I know. You all will know! I'm hawking my phone Monday - Friday. You already know!! Lol

Word!!! I already know!!! And the funny thing is..... It'll be when you LEAST expect it! I know you've probably seen someone post that before. But damn this is true!

Congrats to all you guys.  Ive been following this forum for years but just joined today.

I took the DT at the end of February.  List number is in the 2600's.

Thanks 3rd Rail!!! Just like members have told me, I WILL do the same. You WILL get your call. Just make sure your ducks are in order. Did you get a print out of you work history from social security? And.... Make sure all of your history is accounted for. Another thing.... I've done this also. Go to you physician and get a full physical, if you can, also go to an eye doctor to check your vision. Iron out any kinks (if any) before you actually get called. I don't think you wanna be put on medical hold. I know I didn't want to. Good luck, and thanks again!

Thanks 3rd Rail!!! Just like members have told me, I WILL do the same. You WILL get your call. Just make sure your ducks are in order. Did you get a print out of you work history from social security? And.... Make sure all of your history is accounted for. Another thing.... I've done this also. Go to you physician and get a full physical, if you can, also go to an eye doctor to check your vision. Iron out any kinks (if any) before you actually get called. I don't think you wanna be put on medical hold. I know I didn't want to. Good luck, and thanks again!

Congrats to all you guys. Ive been following this forum for years but just joined today.

I took the DT at the end of February. List number is in the 2600's.

3rd rail, thanks for joining this forum. I posted before my list#, 2580-2590. also took DT on Feb 26. I know many other people who where there with me on Feb 26th, no one is called yet. Most likely we will be send to take another DT at the end of May since it's good for 90 days only. Hopefully we will be called around September

3rd rail, thanks for joining this forum. I posted before my list#, 2580-2590. also took DT on Feb 26. I know many other people who where there with me on Feb 26th, no one is called yet. Most likely we will be send to take another DT at the end of May since it's good for 90 days only. Hopefully we will be called around September
You guys should be called ( don't quote me on this) by the end of April. My timeline went like this... Got the to report on 2/6 for D/T, got my (phone call) to report 4/4 for final processing. I hope this can help ease you guys mind. Good luck fellas!
You guys should be called ( don't quote me on this) by the end of April. My timeline went like this... Got the to report on 2/6 for D/T, got my (phone call) to report 4/4 for final processing. I hope this can help ease you guys mind. Good luck fellas!
Got the (letter) to report on 2/6. Sorry about that

Congrads to all those who made it through this process so far. One ques: after you complete school car; how are your schedules given? Will you be contacted via?

Once you are done the crew office is your mommy your daddy for a time..

You have a wish list of days off and tours you would like. They will try to grant them.

Remember these words "Needs of the Service" :)

Once you are done the crew office is your mommy your daddy for a time..

You have a wish list of days off and tours you would like. They will try to grant them.

Remember these words "Needs of the Service" :)

How does the "Crew Office" issue schedules? By a phone call or on paper?